cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think im being hacked o.O

ady
Grafter

Hi, I received any email today in my hotmail account asking for "verification of password reset for ebay."

So i thaught... ok weird. Few hours later, my password for MSN has changed, and also for ebay. what can i do?
22 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I don't know what MSN and ebay can do but I'd certainly suggest getting in touch with them.

First thing though that I would do is run a full virus and spyware scan on any PCs that you use. Once you know that your PC is clean then change any passwords you think could be at risk
ady
Grafter

Ok cheers, I thought my router would be fine so stopped using firewall few months ago. Not a good idea i guess
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Depends, it may not that you've been hacked as such. Whilst it could be something like a keylogger, it could equally be that someone has tried it on with ebay and either got your password or got them to reset the password. If the details are the same for MSN then that could explain that (or vice versa).
sophos9
Grafter

Ok cheers, I thought my router would be fine so stopped using firewall few months ago. Not a good idea i guess

Do you have a wireless access point?
ady
Grafter

Nah I don't Sad

But the passwords were different for hotmail/ebay
N/A

Everytime I log into my Ebay account from my PC at work I get the following email.

Dear **************,

It appears that your eBay password has become known to a third party.

It is possible that an unauthorised third party found out your password using a "spoof" email. These are fraudulent emails made to appear as if they were sent by eBay. Spoof emails attempt to collect your password or other personal information, usually by asking you to click on a link in the email and sign into a spoof website.

To protect the security of your eBay account, we have reset your eBay password and Secret Question (password hint question). As a result, you won't be able to sign into your eBay account with your current password. Please follow the instructions in this email to restore access to your eBay account securely.

Not just occasionally but everytime I log into my Ebay account from work. This started to happen around mid April. Needless to say I don't log onto my ebay account at work any more. Try searching in google for "Ebay Live help". One of the online advisors may be able to give you some information as to who and why your pass word was changed.

I don't use MSN so I have no experience. I suspect our IT department at work has done something to make us appear to be hackers to ebay, they recently had external security auditors looking at the network and other systems.
ady
Grafter

Well I used the ebay live help. I got them to block the account, till i could get the email address back in my possession :S
ady
Grafter

Got my account back via msn. Not surprised to see an ebay scam artists working his ways with my emails Sad

Luckily this person he was scamming caught on after the 5th email. £700 was gunna get scammed!
sophos9
Grafter

Congrats, any idea of how you were compromised?
ady
Grafter

Most likely a spoof website asking me to re-log into my msn Sad

Well i hope its that! a key logger wouldn't be so good Smiley
sophos9
Grafter

A keylogger would have been ringing alarm bells with you AV, probable spoofed site, they are getting really good at them now!
Fixes: 117

If you type the web address directly into the browser yourself surely that eliminates any chances of spoof site?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

That would not help if your DNS has been tampered with.
For example drive be pharming, where someone finds an open router, logs in and changes the DNS setting.

OK, very rare, but a very remote possibility.

Chilly
sophos9
Grafter

If you type the web address directly into the browser yourself surely that eliminates any chances of spoof site?

Sure and if you use phishing filters that also helps...

Chilly, lol, he does not have wireless unless someone broke into his house!

DNS poisoning is fun!