Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I struggle with usage policy

SimonJDay
Grafter

Hi,

I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some advice here. I've been a customer of PN for 7 months now and was really pleased with their Broadband Premium package until all the usage policies were changed, but that's not what I'm here to moan about. I initially thought that this would not be a problem as I could start any p2p stuff just before I went to bed, so the majority off downloading was done off-peak, however at some point every night between 11pm (my usual time for climbing the wooden hill to the land of nod) and 7am, my connection to PN is dropped. Therefore when I come down in the morning hoping to find a completed DL, all I see is a small percentage complete and a warning saying that the 'redial connection' did not work. Hence I end up restarting the download before I go to work resulting in downloading during peak hours. Any suggestions as to what may be causing this line drop?

Also just recently I've been having problems with the modem (Voyager 105 supplied by PN) itself. I'll be quite happily surfing or playing an on-line game and the modem will just stop working. The lights go out and connection tray freezes. I have to unplug the USB cable from the rear and then replug it in to get it working again. As I've only had the modem 7 months from PN, am I entitled to a replacement?

I'm pretty sure that the first problem is not related to the second as it's been happening far longer.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Simon
9 REPLIES
N/A

The first thing to check is what kind of router you are using. If it is a USB modem you will need to make sure that you set all of the devices including USB hubs so that they can't be sent to sleep by your PC.

If you have an ethernet router then check that it does not have some keep alive settings. If your router is a Naff Cheapo type then replace it with a decent one.

I would get yourself a decent router such as the Draytek 2800V or 2800VG if you want basic wireless.

Then configure the router to keep the line active and to reconnect if Plusnet or BT drops the line.

Other benefits of the Draytek are two VoIP ports, you can plug normal DECT phones in these and make FREE or low cost calls via the net. This is better that Skype as you do not need your computer on, also you can get proper services such as voicemail and even an 0845 number for a one off payment of £9.

If you use a DECT (wireless) phone already get the same model (off ebay) and you will be able to switch to using VoIP simply by changing base stations. I used the BT Synergy 3105, you can have 5 phone per base station and easily switch between them. The Draytek can store your friends numbers and you can program the shorcut (e.g. #60) into the DECT phone in the same way you would a normal number.

The 2800V also can create VLANS (most routers can only join them) this makes it ideal for a small business as it supports up to 16 VLANS. The VLAN clients can be PC's or other routers. Again, these connections have the ability to be kept alive.

I hope this helps, if you want to go ahead with DrayTel let me know as they have a referal scheme similar to Plusnets.
N/A

Re: I struggle with usage policy

Also just recently I've been having problems with the modem (Voyager 105 supplied by PN) itself. I'll be quite happily surfing or playing an on-line game and the modem will just stop working. The lights go out and connection tray freezes

Sorry to state the obvious but I had a USB modem with this problem once, it turned out to be a loose power cable somewhere, if you gave it a wiggle or a tap it would start working again, balthough it was always plugged in correctly! Might be worth checking if you haven't already.
N/A

You might want to consider a plug timer, so it turns off your modem in the middle of the night forcing it to restart.

So if it disconnected and failed to reconnect earlier in the night, it will then be forced to reboot completely and you might find it will reconnect then.

Cheapest and easiest option Wink
SimonJDay
Grafter

Thanks for your advices so far. To respond to a couple in one sentence, I don't use a router (the modem connects directly in to microfilter/splitter and I use a software firewall) and the modem gets it's power from the USB, so I'm unable to get it to switch on and off without switching the entire PC on and off :0(
thehatman
Grafter

This might be a long shot, but after years of loyalty to it, I got rid of Zonealarm firewall and went for the Lavasoft one and problems with disconnection/reconnection disappeared. Zonealarm causes some P2P to crash as well.
___oDiN__
Grafter

you could invest in a powered usb hub (not a non powered one)
ive found in the past on some clients systems the usb doesnt supply enough power for all connected deviced causing them to stop/malfunction
a powered hub may help if thats your problem
these can be picked up pretty cheap these days, i got one from aldi for 3.99 and is usb2, works a treat
N/A

I had the very same problems a while back, checked everything, did everything I could with the usb modem as I really didnt wont a router with running a Windows Server at home however in the end I gave up and got myself a simple little router which solved ALL dropped lines problems. Id bet any money your connection is abit iffy and the usb modem cannot handle reconnections well.
SimonJDay
Grafter

Ok, so I've been thinking about a wireless router anyway as I want to move my pc upstairs rather than in the lounge (the only current phone point without rewiring). Not sure how well this will go down with the gf though as she already complains about me sitting at the PC playing COD2 and not joining her on the sofa when she's watching her awful Reality TV stuff (can't think why! At least I'm still in the same room!). Any recommendations on a wireless router?

I've seen my local Tescos selling wireless routers, Linksys I think. Are these ok?

*Mods, please feel free to split this post if it belongs in another forum*
N/A

my mate in work uses the Linksys wireless from Tesco but you need to change the channel for reliability.

I use a dlink and it is down by the phoneline. My pc is upstaires wireless works a dream! most wireless gear is great - but once you go there - going back is NOT an option!!!! (By that i mean once there you will not WANT to go back!)