cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I seem to be having FTP problems

N/A

I have 2 hosting accounts, one in the US and one in manchester, yet I'm having FTP issues with both.

When I set a folder to download or update from either server, it downloads so much of the folder then stops, and I get disconnected from the server with a message from cuteftp saying "the connection failed due to a timeout or error".

This is happening all the time with servers in 2 geographical locations, so I'm ruling out it being a problem with my host provider.

Is anyone else having the same problem?
17 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

What account type are you on? What performance do you get downloading from here?

ftp://www.mirror.ac.uk/mirror/ftp.suse.com/i386/10.0/iso/

Choose one of the largish files.
N/A

I think I'm on the premium 1 account.

I was able to download one of the files from that server at 160k a second no problem.

I find the problem is when I'm using ftp for multiple small files rather than big ones.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Have you tried a different FTP client? Or tried using active instead of passive (or vice versa). I seem to recall seeing this before with CuteFTP (but can't remember why exactly). Working fine with a small number of files or with large files but for some reason not with a lot of small files.
N/A

I have to say I often have a problem with disconnections and time-outs on various FTP servers I use -- whether I use FileZilla, SmartFTP, CuteFTP...

I generally find the problem happens when the connection is reasonably fast (for a change haha) and it's as though something somewhere (the Ellacoya's?) get muddled or something and just end it all. Long ago my FTP connections were rock-solid.

Result: have to reconnect. Of course it could be that the ellacoyas drop some of the packets - resulting in a drop in the connection? Is this what's happening PN?
N/A

I seem to have having loads of bother tonight, I'm trying to upload 1 single file and I'm getting this error when it tries to connect to the server to initial a session. I'm able to ping my host fine with ping times of less than 30ms. It does connect if I keep trying, but again this is happening on both servers.

ERROR:> [29/01/2007 18:30:36] The connection failed due to an error or timeout.
1) Verify that the destination IP address is correct.
2) Increase the connection timeout threshold under Global Settings | Connection.
3) Switch to the opposite data connection type (PASV or PORT) under Site Settings | Type tab.
4) Verify that the problem is not local by trying to connect to an alternate server.
5) If a server name was used, verify it resolves to the correct address.
6) If using a local server table for server name resolution, check to see that it doesn't resolve to an obsolete address.
7) Try pinging the address.
Cool If you are using a router, verify the router is up and running (check by pinging it and then ping an address outside of the router).
9) Do a traceroute to the destination to verify all routers along the connection path are operational.
10) Verify that your subnet mask is setup properly.
11) Verify that your local software or hardware firewall is not blocking outbound connections originating from CuteFTP.
12) Verify that your anti-virus software is not at fault (try disabling it).

I think the previous poster is right, its a problem with packets not reaching the other side.
N/A

If you try another FTP programme and the problem is still the same then it is evidently the PN network.

Just a quick look at the packet drop graphs:

http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml

Shows that even gold is being dropped. If PN don't even have enough bandwidth to handle the Gold stuff - what chance for silver or bronze.

Of course, this all begs the question: shouldn't lots more Bronze and Silver be dropped before Gold? If Gold is having to be dropped shouldn't there be NO silver or bronze getting throughHuh
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I generally find the problem happens when the connection is reasonably fast (for a change haha) and it's as though something somewhere (the Ellacoya's?) get muddled or something and just end it all. Long ago my FTP connections were rock-solid.

I remember now where the problem's been before. I think it's more a case of multiple NAT rules and firewalls at various different places.

You've probably got NAT running your side and a lot of places you will be FTP'ing too will have NAT as well on their side (or maybe load balancers).

It's certainly part of why some people have problems FTP'ing to ftp.plus.net, seems to be the combination of NAT at each end and the load balancer. In these cases ftp2.plus.net always seems to work fine, this doesn't have a load balancer in front of it.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I think the previous poster is right, its a problem with packets not reaching the other side.

It's possible, but if it's down to a problem with gold traffic then I would expect it to be fine off peak, can you try it then and see what happens?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Of course, this all begs the question: shouldn't lots more Bronze and Silver be dropped before Gold? If Gold is having to be dropped shouldn't there be NO silver or bronze getting throughHuh

Each of the queues have a weighting applied to them so there will always be a certain amount of silver and bronze traffic allowed through, plus the design of the BT centrals will mean that gold traffic can be dropped even if all there's spare bandwidth. I'll explain in a second.

The problem isn't down to lack of bandwidth but how the bandwidth is spread out and balanced.

The design of a 622Mbps BT central splits it into four segments and each segment in three tunnels. Each tunnel is about 52Mbps and can connect up to 2,667 customers at any time.

Part of the problem we're seeing at the moment is that some of the tunnels aren't evenly balanced. Some tunnels have a lot of active customers and others a lot of idle customers. With a lot of customers switching to routers from USB modems and the rise in background traffic the idle timeouts haven't been working as they should so not disconnecting idle customers. The idle timeouts aren't just about freeing up sessions that aren't being used, but ensuring there's an even spread idle customers across the platform.

So, as I say, one of the things we've been seeing is that some tunnels have an uneven amount of idle customers.

For example, one tunnel will have significantly more active customers than another and the amount of bandwidth they are using could all be in gold and causes some gold packets to drop. Whereas another tunnel has a lot of idle customers and there's plenty of room for most of the silver and bronze so only a bit of bronze is dropped.

This will show up on the graphs with gold drops, but it may only be dropping gold from one or two tunnels and the others are perhaps only dropping bronze, none at all, or maybe bronze and a little silver.

The other thing is that with the higher number of customers online now it makes load balancing difficult.
N/A

I had a problem with ftp last night, too. It occurred to me later that I had activated the "Broadband Firewall" with the "High" setting.

I tested it again this morning and I still couldn't upload. I have just changed the setting to "Low" and the file transferred straight away.

It might be worth including a note on the settings that "High" will prevent you transferring files to your own website on PlusNet.
Mand
Grafter

Hi

The firewall should work on High if you set the FTP client to use passive mode.

The full rollout is planned to be today, and the support pages will be updated accordingly, this will be imcluded.
N/A

I'm noticing something odd with non-PN FTP today -- browsing/navigating on FTP is VERY SLOW and yet when a file transfer begins I get a solid 300+KB/sec rate.

I also notice that when I use the built-in Windows cmd-line FTP client the speeds for directory listings vary from 0.1KB/sec through to a much more reasonable 250KB/sec.

I really do have a feeling that PASV is causing some sort of problem. How do the ellacoyas deal with PASV? They surely do not prefer it?

In other words, could the slow listings be because of the PASV settings keep changing - whereas when a file transfer starts the PASV stays the same (at least for the one file) -- I tend to get much better speeds on larger files.
N/A

I've just sat down, starting to upload a single file and bang.....TIMEOUT! Server unreachable.

I've not been able to test this during off-peak times as I'm working in a clients office until thursday afternoon.

I'm going to try a different FTP client anyway and see what happens.
N/A

Right, 6:55 in the morning, dwonload speeds at 700k, so I've tried FTPing, and again, exactly the same problem, timingout every now and again.

Just downloading another ftp client now

--Update--
Tried a different FTP client and had the same problem