cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need your help... BBYW Option *5*

Ianwild
Grafter

Right then, we've been throwing this about for a couple of weeks now, and although it's delaying things slightly I think it's an important enough topic for us to spend a bit longer making sure we do the best thing for our customers.

What am I talking about?

When we launched Broadband Your Way, we said that we'd soon have an additional option that would let people recieve line speeds on the protocols that are currently restricted at busy times on our network, for an appropriate cost.

There are a lot of different ways we could build that and we've identified the three most popular from Internal and some PUG NDA members consultation. Based on that, I've now set-up a survey on the Zoomerang site to help us lock down the decision. As soon as we have decided, development on the solution can start.

So please, if you have a minute, have a look and let us know what you think:

http://users.plus.net/QL:5624ACE3

The ideas in theory would all provide for the same effect as if you bought an Uncontended broadband supply (Although they wouldn't be sold on that basis - Suppliers who offer it charge more than £400 a month for a 2Mb 1:1 contended ADSL service!). Each would include reserved bandwidth, so all of these options would include provision of extra network capacity before it was needed.

If there are any questions not answered in the survey itself, please do ask them here and I'll post answers tomorrow.

Regards,

Ian
20 REPLIES
retep
Grafter

I would think the charges must vary by exchange. Exchanges in heavy use should carry most charge they are in most demand after all.

Otherwise you would get very low use on the moderately contended exchanges and very heavy usage on the exchanges with most problems.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

My vote would be make it the same as Option 4 but with no rate restrictions and ideally no traffic restrictions (all Gold?)
gswindale
Grafter

But how much would you then charge per month?
Community Veteran

I filled in the zoomerang survey, the comments I added were :
I think people are going to choose A in general, as PN always repeat, most folks do not really understand what their usage is and so do not know what the costs of PurePAYG would be. Sad

I would really like the PurePAYG to still have free overnight usage if at all possible. In fact, I would just like to stay on the PAYG account I am on at the moment. I know it does not make sure I get 'line speed' but it is pretty close (I only get 2Mb on MaxDSL).

If your offer this option and users believe it will gaurauntee they get line speed, folks will be upset when they do not due to exchange contention.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Could this not be a variable product?

What I mean is, make option 5 the true unfiltered, un managed product that people want, but with a usage level and cost set by the user.

Effectively like Pay as You Go.

4GB per month of clean usage for £14.99?
10GB for 19.99

maybe half the BBYW allowances for the same cost, but untouched by the ellacoyas.

Obviously I dont know how the figures would work out, but the PAYG prepaid limit method looks like a good base to start in my opinion.

EDIT:

Ahh I see there is an option very close to this in the survey - however my suggestion would be to keep overnight usage free. Some people may swallow the difference between 25p/GB and £1.20 GB if they are desperate enough for a particular download - however, by its very nature the word "FREE" is a lot bigger hurdle to overcome. If a few more pence were added to the daytime usage costs, and the word FREE added to the nightime costs, I beleive ot would convince a lot more downloads to be scheduled than would be under any system that charges (even a small ammount) for overnight usage.
Community Veteran

Personally, I thought the 'pure PAYG" or whatever it was called (I filled the survey in last night) was a nice idea, but far too expensive: no-one in their right mind would move to it if they're already on PN's old PAYG and use more than a few GB per month - and people would be even more crazy to move to it if they're on the PAYG 15GB special offer as I am. And that, I think, is the deal-breaker. In my opinion, if PlusNet's new product range was perfect, all existing customers would find an appropriate product in the new range, and would therefore move off their old products. I know PlusNet have said people can remain on their old products for the time being (indeed, I saw a post recently from someone who was still on HomseSurf!), and I know they've also said that the old PAYG product was unsustainable for a large number of users, but for those of us who like to 'keep up with the times', it would be nice to have a new product that's actually suitable for moving to from the 15GB PAYG offer.

Which is why I voted for option A - being able to 'turn on' an extra GB of fast data at any time... but I would only agree to this if the fast data came out of the monthly bundled allowance (as per the 1GB fast data = 2GB normal data suggestion), rather than being paid for separately. Reason being that, as someone who already pays £20 a month for their 15GB PAYG offer, I could see myself moving to BBYW Option 3 with 20GB inclusive. I haven't, because of the annoying download rate limitations splattered all over the account, but if the option to turn pairs of 'normal' included GBs in to single ultra-fast GBs, I would probably go for it. I could then end up having, say, 10GB a month of normal data, and 5GB of really fast data, but with the flexibility to change that balance each month because, as PN have said, I'd just 'order' the fast data when I need it. However, as you can hopefully see, the arrangement would be much less appealing if I had to pay the £20 for BBYWO3 and then pay more for the faster GBs on top, even though I wouldn't use anywhere near the 20GB provided by BBYWO3 anyway. (But I wouldn't want to go with BBYWO2 because of the greater limitations on non turbo-charged data.) So that's my view on things.
Ianwild
Grafter

The pure PAYG product reflects what it would cost us to deliver that experience...

Bearing in mind the idea of having a 'cost' base price, we coulden't do free overnight either, especially not with traffic prioritised over everyone else - It just doesn't work unfortunately.

Anyone on PAYG 15GB is very lucky, and I woulden't move if I were you either!

It is all a bit too complicated I think - But with that comes some opportunities for us to deliver something unique and something which puts people in total control.

I'm pleased with the quality of the feedback so far - Please keep it coming.

Ian
Community Veteran

As anyone on the current PAYG would be worse off, and those on the 15GB PAYG would be a lot worse off - is this not evidence enough that the offerings to the customer are worse than they used to be.

The overnight usage does not need to be prioritised over other peoples, just do it the same way as it is now.

If the current PAYG product is not sustainable, why not?

Is this not just demonstrating what has been said previously, that in order to obtain the same profits, year on year - Plusnet are constantly lowering the quality/expectations of the products available.

If people on existing products would be worse off switching to new ones, then it seems to suggest this is whats happening.

As for BBYW option 5 - whats wrong with the current PAYG method and keeping traffic prioritised during the whours of 8am-midnight?
Neil_A
Grafter

Is this not just demonstrating what has been said previously, that in order to obtain the same profits, year on year - Plusnet are constantly lowering the quality/expectations of the products available.

Sorry but that's not accurate. Last year there is no doubt that the balance of The City versus The Customer was wrong and we were squeezing things to tight.

This year we will make considerably less profit than last year, and that is deliberate as a reflection of the increased bandwidth per customer, investment in network equipment and increased CSC staff.

We are trying to provide the best value service available across any tier 2 ISP - but we still have the issue of demand for bandwidth increasing faster than costs are reducing. And that's only going to get worse as 24Mbps becomes the norm.

We're quite clear that some customers will decide they are better off on BBYW than Plus or Premier (and if you don't use p2p & usenet you almost certainly are far better off on BBYW). But we know that some people on Premier & PAYG will want to stay where they are particularly if they use p2p - and that's fine we've no plans to withdraw Plus, Premier or PAYG.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

But we know that some people on Premier & PAYG will want to stay where they are particularly if they use p2p - and that's fine we've no plans to withdraw Plus, Premier or PAYG.
In my case because I want full download speeds on FTP at peak time I will stay on PAYG. The difference between 2500kbps and 256kbps is not to be sneezed at even when you are only talking about 20MB files.
N/A

Now which option would I like for a 5* option. Lets start by spelling receive correct on the poll. When I went to school it was 'i before e except after c' other than the exceptions.
But there again my spelling is hopeless Wink

Most people understand that to deliver higher speeds at busy times on the network costs us significantly more, and as such customers will need to pay an appropriate amount to recieve the reserved bandwidth that such speed guarentees will require.

oppps, off topic but I just feel in a fun mode.
madjbright
Grafter

If you are going to pick holes in the spelling then guarentees is not correct either.
Ianwild
Grafter

Sorry - I've got so used to having the firefox spell checker I've become lazy about checking.

I've got a new laptop and haven't set it up properly yet.

I'll go and sort that now.

Ian
N/A

Lets start by spelling receive correct on the poll.

Hehe! A dangerous road to travel down, as demonstrated well by Briston.

Surely you meant "Lets start by spelling receive correctly on the poll."?

/Me goes and hides before we end up round and round in circles picking holes in one anothers lingo! :shock: