cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I may as well bang my head off a wall

N/A

To be honest this is aimed at BT rather than plusnet but I needed to get it off my chest !! I am currently on a 1meg service on the Livingston Bridge exchange and wanted regraded to 2meg my neighbours are on it but BT lines checker says my line can't support it yet I am almost 100% certain I have a perfectly good line for 2 meg service, my router shows the stats of

Current Noise Margin: 27.0 dB (Downstream), 22.0 dB (Upstream)

Current Attenuation: 36.5 dB (Downstream), 25.0 dB (Upstream)

Current Output Power: 19.0 dB (Downstream), 11.5 dB (Upstream)

at this very minute (the downstream SNR varies from 23db-28db) yet after plusnet put me forward for a manual regrade BT have advised plusnet they have checked my line and it cannot support a 2meg connection, plusnet have done a whoosh test that showed the downstream attenuation as 37db. Both the routers and whoosh test figures are under the 43db set by BT is it just me or are these not good line stats for a 2meg line ?
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

To be honest this is aimed at BT rather than plusnet but I needed to get it off my chest !!

I guessed from the title! :lol:

Would love to answer your question but don't know the answer. Sad What I will say is BT rely on a central database when provisioning and upgrading lines and this can often have incorrect figures in.
N/A

Hmmph

I had the same problem.

However, I emailed a "top dog" at BT and they updated the checker that day.

It was saying that I could only get 256k :S However, it then updated with green for 2mb. (Which is correct as my router reports 9mb+ capable).

However, when I had my number changed (and moved over the road) - the checker once again reported that I could only have 256k however, the order was accepted and provisioned. The checker still says that I cant have 512k, 1mb or 2mb - yet I do.

Silly BT Sad

Matt
N/A

I have asked plusnet to see if they can go back to BT to find out what stats they are rejecting my regrade on as I don't think they have even tested the line. Fingers crossed I may one day get a 2meg line !!