cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm confused: very very slow connection

N/A

Can anyone explain what is going on at the moment? I am on Premier Option 1 which ostensibly means I should be getting upto 8Mbps. When I look at my modem it shows a downstream speed of 5056kbps, but my connection is actually running at about 480kbps downstream.

This has been the case since my connection came online on Friday, having moved across the road: when I lived on the other side of the road my modem showed 2Mbps and this is what I was getting.

What is the relationship between the speed given by my modem and what I actually get? And why should things be running soooo slooowly? Is anyone else seeing similar behaviour? This is getting quite annoying.

Daryl
11 REPLIES
N/A

When I visit the "connection settings" page at

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

I am informed that my network speed is indeed 500kbps, so why does my router report ten times this value and why has a move across the road induced such a vast drop?

D
passer
Grafter

Perhaps your line is being trained following your move? Your account is presumably going down a different piece of copper wire so your connection will require retraining. If so it will fluctuate for the 10-14 day period before settling down at the optimum rate. That's assuming that your -> 2mb is automatically upgraded to an -> 8mb connection with your move.
N/A

The sync speed has very little to do with your actual download speed, it just states the speed of your connection to the exchange. The stable speed states the speed of your connection from the exchange to plusnet.

So, you must take the minimum value for the download speed (subtracting 1000 or so from the sync value).

If you have a single speed drop of below 1000kbps, you stable speed will drop to 500kbps. The only way of increasing this is to prove to the exchange your connection is reliable by rebooting your router once (and once only) a day for 3 - 4 days and getting a sync of > 1000 kbps each time.
N/A

How would I know whether I was being upgraded? PlusNet lost all my emails in the infamous server crash (and I was foolishly using IMAP, believing their backups to be more reliable than my own) so I cannot check to see whether I was due to be upgraded.

I will try rebooting the router daily: should the stable speed change after just one reboot, or is it only after three that I will see any possible change? Also, if the line is being retrained then would that show such a low stable speed? My router is still reporting 5Mbps.

Thanks...
N/A

The stable speed normally only changes after 3 days. If your preview package was 500 or you have had a single speed drop of below 1000kbps, you stable speed will drop to 500kbps.
N/A

Well the problem's back.

After a few weeks with speeds up and around 3Mbps I am back down to 500kbps again, and have been for the past three days.

My stable rate is set at 8000 whereas my hardware reports a line speed of 3136kbps down and 320kbps up.

I have long ago given up on the idea of achieving the 8Mbps that I was once promised, but speeds of around 1/16 of this value make a bit of a mockery of the money I am spending on this line.

Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/similar experiences/sympathy?

Daryl
N/A

an update...

using the BT line test, I get the following:
IP profile for your line is - 500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 320 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3136 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 448 kbps

(I could not run this using a direct connection to BT_speedtest and instead worked via my PlusNet connection)

I don't know what the IP profile is, but I'm getting the feeling that a value of 500kbps is a BAD THING.

Could someone translate the above jargon and explain why a stable rate of 8000kbps, downstream speed of 3136kbps and IP profile of 500kbps leads to an actual speed of 448kbps?

D
N/A

Stable rate of 8000 kbps from PN means either an LLU connection, or a very good IPStream connection. If your getting sync's of 3136 however, it would suggest LLU. The stable rate is simply what PN are restricting your speed to.

The downstream speed is what your modem is restricting your speed to.

and finally, the IP Profile is what BT is restricting your speed to, as it thinks it is what your line is capable of at the time it analysed it.

You'll always get the lowest value minus overhead. So in your case, you'll get 500 kbps minus overhead = ~448kbps.

Reboot your router once a day for a while (minimum 3 days, but can be 5 days or more it seems), and if things don't improve you can request a manual IP Profile change via PN.
N/A

Many thanks for your explanation, squidgey, I shall try the switching off every day trick (for about 30 minutes?)...

Daryl
N/A

That was quick! Turned it off for a while yesterday morning and this morning and magically we are back up to 2.3Mbps. Hardly the 8Mbps that I am hoping for, but beggars can't be choosers.

What should I do to avoid being "downgraded" again?

D
N/A

Welcome to Peasant Net