cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I know P2P is slow, but come on

N/A

[rant]

I have never used P2P in the last 4 months, and tonight i went to download a file, and got this....

I know im on a plus account, and i know it isnt design for P2P, but come on. I use it for the first time in about 16 weeks and it takes 11 minutes to downlaod 300k, its not on.

Is there any plans to improve this at all or not? I cant justify paying for the premier service when i use it once every few month.

The file was 80MBish, and with 56k at around 12mb an hour it would take about 7 hours, but with 2mb it takes 12 hours, pffff.

[/rant]
18 REPLIES
N/A

upgrade you cheapskate :lol:
N/A

upgrade you cheapskate :lol:

I'm in the same boat! Tongue You can take that upgrade and proceed to downgrade. There is no chance that i am gonna give plusnet another £7 just to be able to download once in a while from the edonkey network.
N/A

the edonkey network doesn't even work on premier :roll:
the major speed increase that you would notice would be using bittorrent
N/A

Ya but even then on Premier you will only see ISDN speeds on torrents, 50-100KB at best. If u use a private torrent such as a nix ISO or a torrent which is hosted by a big domain/website, then and only then will you be able to max out your connection.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Just had my brother do a test with KCEasy and DC++ (his usual clients) for random files and;

- KCEasy:

Connection error - Unable to connect to network

- DC++

Able to connect to his usual hubs, but downloads started at around 60K got to around 5-10%, then the connection was "lost".

.. and we're nowhere near the cap either Wink
Ben_Brown
Grafter

If u use a private torrent such as a nix ISO or a torrent which is hosted by a big domain/website, then and only then will you be able to max out your connection.

That has a lot more to do with how torrents work than how we manage our network. I have rarely got good speeds on public torrents (with the exception of "commercial" ones like rebirth) ever, even before I was on a PlusNet connection (I used to be on a Telewest line if you think that's relevant).
N/A

Exactly Ben, I'm having the same issue with 'private' torrents when the network is busy. Which let's face it, is the majority of the time. Strangely commercial torrents are fine, although I've never seen one max my connection.
Edited to say, I could never get more than 60KB/s on that rebirth one.

Whenever I use torrents I only ever use a torrent which is very well seeded and also has peers which are willing to upload at a decent speed. Basically they are still public domain, but from a known source/tracker if you like.

When you have a torrent like this from 50 odd seeds or more for example, the max speed (on Premier) I can achieve is 20-35KB/s on average, it shows the throttling is simply to severe when the network is busy.

Also there's the point that when the same torrent is dloaded from a friends PC with very similar kit n torrent client, his speeds are maxxed out. The only difference he's using another ISP. One I may add which is noway as good as Plusnet.

Anyway I know you guys are working on a solution, so hopefully the problem will go away next year, or whenever you can resolve it.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

To be honest if those are the speeds you are seeing on the rebirth torrent then that isn't down to our network management. I would expect speeds quite a bit faster than that on a 2Mbps connection. My advise would be to ensure that the ports are properly forwarded on your router and that your upload speed isn't too high otherwise it will swamp the ack packets.
N/A

Yes, I work in IT, I do know what I'm doing. Of course I've forwarded the ports, applied the event4226 patch, tried different clients etc etc. And no I dont have any exchange issues, http, ftp, other protocols are fine.

Anyway did you not see my bit about other ppl on other isps who don't have any issues, with the same torrent, sametime etc etc ? :roll:

It's pretty obvious the throttling is too severe, or isn't configured correctly as you seem to think it is.

For example I'm dloading something now from 25 peers n loads of seeds, and it won't go faster than 15-20KB/s. It's pathetic, only 4hrs to go :lol:

Anyway I don't know why we are discussing it, other CS guys have already said the the management is too harsh and is being looked at right? Or is this just a fob off?
N/A

There SHOULD be a clear definition between p2p applications, for the past month or so emule topics etc have been hijacked with torrent issues and visa versa.

I believe users torrent speeds can be get above 100kbs+ and is on bronze queue, whereas emule speeds are extremely managed and can't even get above 15kbs and I believe is on limited bronze queue.

other CS guys have already said the the management is too harsh and is being looked at right?

I believe this was the answer to emule speeds ...
N/A

I want an admin to tell me what the bittorrent speeds i should firstly expect with BB+ and then with premier, so i can decide if its worth upgrading. I want the truth, no trash about "we dont effect the p2p speed".

I know how to set it all up, and as i have preiviously said in other posts, with the same router/ports/pc/torrents i was getting 60k within 15 mins on freedom 2 surf 512k . Now (BB+2mb) i get 0-1kbs all day, peaking to 2kbs at night.

I have tried the test torrent KNoppix v4 or somerthing, and after 20 mins, i got 1k a sec, then it went back to 0k again.

I can get a better transfer rate using my mobile phone.
N/A

whever it's bb+ pr premier or whatever....it should never really go below 5.6 kb/sec.
that is simply a figure it should never go under....or also 56k connections are unsustainable nowadays? don't make me laugh.
N/A

If u use a private torrent such as a nix ISO or a torrent which is hosted by a big domain/website, then and only then will you be able to max out your connection.

That has a lot more to do with how torrents work than how we manage our network. I have rarely got good speeds on public torrents (with the exception of "commercial" ones like rebirth) ever, even before I was on a PlusNet connection (I used to be on a Telewest line if you think that's relevant).

Indeed, go near something like Torrentspy and its like paint drying, yet Mixingbowl absolutely flies thanks to it being a good community.
JonathanW
Grafter

I want an admin to tell me what the bittorrent speeds i should firstly expect with BB+ and then with premier, so i can decide if its worth upgrading. I want the truth, no trash about "we dont effect the p2p speed".

Hi,

On the Plus package P2P speeds will be slow, though depending on network utilisation at the time these speeds will flucate a little. Where as speeds for p2p on the Premier account are faster.

Though if you're only wanting to do a little bit of P2P transfers, then you might wish to consider the PayGo package, as there is very little shaping on this, which is only really noticed in the event of a major network failure, or there being a spike in demand for one particular service, such as the surge in http traffic in the event of a terrorist attack.