cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't connect until I lift my home phone!!!!

N/A

Anyone experience this? My DSL light flashes until I lift my phone and get a dial tone. Then I can connect OK for a minute or two, then get cut off and have top do it all again.

Have raised several faults with plus and no joy yet.

What could this be?
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Strange one this is...

Is the router losing sync with the exchange or is it just the router disconnecting from PN's network?

Have you got a router or a modem? can you let me know what it is?

Now the boring bit - you need to do this to eliminate any potential problems with your phones or internal wiring

Have you disconnected all the phones in the house, plugged your modem/router into the master socket and then one by one tested each phone individually to prove there isn't a fault with one of these?

Next thing to check after that is the microfilters - try each microfilter in the master socket and pick up a phone that is connected - does the connection bomb out then?

This seems all to familiar to me - BTO did some work at the exchange and I ended up with a earth fault at the exchange, and the symptoms were exactly as you were saying - run a fault test from BT's website if you can and if there is a earth fault, it should detect it at the exchange.

Does the phone crackle when you listen to the line? try dialling 17070 and selecting option 2 for quiet line test - if you hear crackling on the line, call BT and report a fault on the line.. but whatever you do.. don't mention broadband!! if they resolve the fault on your line, the chances are you broadband connection will resolve itself

I know at times this might seem frustrating doing all this testing but it's worth it in the long run.

Roger.
N/A

Thanks for the reply Roger

I tried changing filters and tried removing all other equipment

Its a Voyager DSL modem I've got.
N/A

Quiet line is perfect
Community Veteran

is that all in the master socket with nothing else connected?

I'm clutching at straws here, but I think it might be a dodgy microfilter..

Maybe someone else from the community might have a idea....

If I think of anything more solid.. I'll come back to you Wink
N/A

I have tried swapping all the filters. I have to keep the main telephone connected or the DSL light flashes forever. The only way I can get the DSL light to stop flashing is plug in the home phone and click it to get a dial tone, then I hook up to broadband for a few minutes before I lose it again.

If I try to connect with no phone connected it doesn't work
Community Veteran

Real long shot here...

If you have access to another modem or router.. plug that in and see if you get the same problem. if the problem disappears then that proves there is a fault with the voyager....
N/A

Yeah my brother has another one, I'll try that.
N/A

i had the same problem until bt done something at the box down my road so keep talking to bt again and again and again it took 4 visits to fix the problem good luck
N/A

About 2 months ago my problem really started I think when two assylum seekers drove into a phone line pole whilst drunk and took the line down so I suspect its the line too.

But its gotten much worse this last few weeks, do I get a credit from plusNet os does that not happen?
N/A

have u tried plugging modem directly into the test socket (behind BT master socket faceplate) ?
N/A

its not a Voyager 105 is it? it says on the MAC setup page for that modem

At no point does the Voyager 105 lose synchronisation with the DSL line. These problems only occur with Broadband Max

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/voyager105_MAC.shtml

also this is only relevant if you are on MaxDSL instead of a fixed rate.

there is a link for the driver you need on there, but its a broken link, im sure with a bit of googling you will be able to find it.
Community Veteran

About 2 months ago my problem really started I think when two assylum seekers drove into a phone line pole whilst drunk and took the line down so I suspect its the line too.

But its gotten much worse this last few weeks, do I get a credit from plusNet os does that not happen?

Nope - to put it simply, you don't get a credit from Plusnet - it's not their fault if your line is faulty.
James
Grafter

To prove that the issue is not at your end, you really need to try testing via the test socket behind the master faceplate. Try various filters connecting into that point with your phone and modem connected.

This will prove service or lack of to the master socket, BT's remit.
Community Veteran

Sorry James but why the phone connected.
If he is trying to prove the fault is in BT's direction then the last thing needed is a possible faulty phone hanging on the circuit.

Surely you mean with the phone disconnected