cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am curious ...

N/A

I am curious ...

There seem many complaints on this forum about the quality of PlusNet's service.

One that caused me immediate reaction was the comment about P2P.

I regularly download and my average bandwidth usage seems to be about 6-8 Gigabytes, sometimes reaching 12 Gigabytes.

Naturally, since Torrents are a commmon download method, much of that bandwidth comes from using BitTorrent etc.

I have found it typical of Torrent downloads that they start at extremely low dwonload rates and then later (often after more than one hour delays) increase to more typical speeds comparable to those from dedicated download server.

I do not care if PN throttled P2P because I do not experience any notable degradation in Torrent downloads that are not clearly explainable by the Torrent mechanism itself.

Please note that the majority of Torrent providers CLEARLY indicate that Torrents may be begin to download very very slowly and only speed up after some period of time.

That said, he is my main point ...

Does PlusNet allow non-members to post on this forum? If that is that case, or if the ability to post is trivial I, for one, would greatly appreciate NOT SEEING these forums targetted by PlusNet's competitors and spammed with posts which, in my experience (4 years as a PN customer) are completely unsubstantiable.

Thus I would greatly appreciate if PN ensures that non members cannot post on these forums!
14 REPLIES
N/A

I am curious ...

dont think non members can , even if you have a dial up account you will not get access here .
I may be wrong , but thats my understanding
N/A

I am curious ...

Think you've missed the point mate.

These are user-only.

And your comment about torrents - WRONG!! Could there be another reason why my mate on cable gets 1.2MegaBytes (his line max) on the same torrent that i get 50kB/s on?

NO!

Why do I download at under 500kiloBITS a second during peak hours!?

It's not excusable. If this new entanet pipe does the business, I'm off in January.
N/A

I am curious ...

Yes there could be a reason .. your mate has a higher contention ratio than you! Tongue Which means he is probably paying more!

OR your mate is living in an area where 4Mb or 8Mb lines are implemented while you are living in an area that still only has 2Mb lines.

OR your mate is using cable which is not comparable to generally available ADSL as provided over BT comms lines and does not have quite the same contention ratio issue.

As for missing the point .. I think YOU missed the point!

The point I was making is that the negative comments about Plus Net's service are not substantiable and that it is likely that PN's competitors are spamming this forum in an attempt to deprecate PN.

Take normal human behaviour into account here. Most people, disenchanted with something would stop associating with that something. But 50% of the posts here appear to be from people who have 'left' PN.

Thus, taking normal human behaviour into account, 95% of the negative posts are spurious. Who wastes their time flaming something they have left behind unless they have some particular incentive to do so?

So who would have that incentive to flame PN. Rather obviously their competitors.

You are the one that missed the point mate. The point is that whoever is behind these posts clearly has some reason other than digruntlement to make them.
shellsong
Grafter

I am curious ...

I would suggest that the positive comments you make are less sustantiable than a lot of the negative comments so maybe that means you are a management plant rather than your dubious suggestion that the negative posts are from outsiders! :lol:
N/A

I am curious ...

So who would have that incentive to flame PN. Rather obviously their competitors.

You are the one that missed the point mate. The point is that whoever is behind these posts clearly has some reason other than digruntlement to make them.

You missed the point, these forums are USER ONLY. Everyone who posts here has a paid for Plusnet account, or on the very odd occasion have recently migrated and still have posting rights that will eventually be withdrawn.

PayG dial up users have limited access to the Dial Up forum to prevent exactly that which you are complaining about.

Plusnet's network has deteriorated rapidly in the last few months, there is no denying the fact, hence why so many disgruntled Plusnet SUBSCRIBERS.
N/A

I am curious ...

Yes, torrents can start slowly, they can also vary greatly in speed from person to person on the same torrent depending on choking algorithms, who you are connected to and if you are connectable (not firewalled).

Here's the thing though:
I spend most of my time coding trackers and various other code related to torrents. I have access to 50mb/s of throughput that can be directed solely to one torrent. Considering I code the trackers, I can ensure that I am the only peer on the torrent.
When you have a situation with only 1 peer, choking algorithms are redundant. Yet I still use HTTP to grab everything I need from my servers rather than torrents because they are so slow.

My server bandwidth is not provided by shoddy carriers, my server loads are minimal (think 0.00 85-90% of the time), they are both P4 2.8Ghz, fitted with SATA drives and at least 512MB of mem. They use lightweight, well coded and thoroughly tested torrent clients. They do not use any form of GUI (which could cause a slowdown in operations). They are hosted not just in different datacenters but also in different continents.
I regularly get full speed from both of them when seeding to people on non-throttled ISPs.

What would you deduce from that? That PN has a problem or that I am an outsider who isn't really a PN customer?

Torrents are so slow over PN that I shout at my g/f everytime she starts one, because I know her PC will be left on for at least 4 days solid. Welcome to the file sharing, the plusnet way.
GersFans
Grafter

I am curious ...

Hilarious, and almost unbelievable..

In a subscriber ONLY forums you deduce from the literally thousands of posts and complaints that they are "competitors"?

Amazing.

I really think you should read some of the posts, and most importantly, the replies from PLUSNET STAFF in those posts...
carrot63
Grafter

I am curious ...

In 3 months or so I've gone from 30 odd posts on these forums to over 200, most of which are not very positive at all. The reason I waste my time doing this @aerig is that PN have thoroughly fucked up what was previously a very usable connection. I suspect the majority of other serial "whiners" are in much the same position, and would rather be using their connections than moaning about them. Far from being paid up agents of darkness, Zen or Be, they are what they appear to be - very frustrated PlusNet broadband customers at their wits end.

As shellsong so wisely points out, its the positive comments that are unbelieveable, totally "unsubstantiable" and appear to be from a PN plant.
N/A

I am curious ...

Yes you really are curious aren't you.

The implication of your main point is that any or all negative posts are fake.

Are you trying to suggest that the problems that I and the many many other pissed off, previously happy PN customers are facing are made up?

Are you suggesting that I cannot substantiate my problems?

I suggest that just because you have not had a problem, you do not immediately dismiss everyone else's problems as fiction and insult a bunch of people in a variety of lousy situations who are pissed off in the first place.
Community Veteran

Re: I am curious ...

... I do not experience any notable degradation in Torrent downloads that are not clearly explainable by the Torrent mechanism itself.

... Torrents may be begin to download very very slowly and only speed up after some period of time.

Many people would agree with you, at least in principle, and so of coruse Yes we do have to try to filter out those people who are complaing about poor torrent speeds on a poorly seeded torrent.

However, saying that, which part of the the graphs do not understand on http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/broadband_bandwidth_usage.shtml that show the bandwidth PN have available at peak times?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
jagger
Grafter

I am curious ...

Very kind of you to insult our intelligence aerig.

P2P is heavily throttled on Plusnet whatever account you are on.Plusnet admit it themselves,why can't you?.
N/A

I am curious ...

Thanks for the chuckle Aerig! :lol:
N/A

I am curious ...

Yes there could be a reason .. your mate has a higher contention ratio than you! Tongue Which means he is probably paying more!

I dont think you quite grasp what 'contention' is aerig, a higher contention ratio would undoubtedly lead to slower speeds, especially during peak times, which is why I pay extra for a lower ratio; 20:1 rather than 50:1, perhaps you should read this:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/contention_guide.shtml
carrot63
Grafter

I am curious ...

I dont think you quite grasp what 'contention' is aerig,

Missed that one, well spotted. Cheesy