cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am also suffering with speed issues

N/A

I have now been suffering with a slow speed for over a week now. When i first raised the issue i was told that this was due to the bad weather and it would go back to normal in 3 days. After closely monitoring my speed for 3 days it didnt change. I was getting speeds of around 135kbps.

I subsequently raised tickets followed them up with phone calls only to be told that my they were looking in it and they were running tests. One of the results from the test showed and i quote

"Dear Hervinder Singh,

The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support"

At this time my speed was 97kbps. how this is within the limits i will never know. I was then told to continue running tests at 30 minute intervals. I thought whats the point i had done so many on the bt speedtester site over the last week why continue, but i did and no surprise it showed a very slow speed of 103kbps.

I've just been on the phone to CS again only to be told that it is being looked by the support team and a reply will be posted soon. Surprisingly they wouuldnt commit to a turnaround time.

I dont usually look at the forums but wasnt surprised to see that i'm not the only one in this situation. Some of the messages refer to usage restictions, well i'm on the premier option 1 package and have used 2.8g. How the hell can i use anymore with speeds like this?

What are PN doing about this?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Try running this test (it sometimes takes a few tries to get it to run):

http://speedtester.bt.com/

This will tell you you current sync speeds and also your current IP Profile. If either of these are low it is nothing to do with Plusnet, it's BT, your line or your equipment.

Note, if due to some sort of interference you get a very low sync speed, BT set your IP Profile down to that and only after at least three days syncing at normal speeds do they raise it again.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

that is the speedtest i have been doing on a daily basis for over a week now. As i'm not much of a geek the results dont mean a lot to me.

I've copied the results below and i know enough to see that my speed is 93kbps. which is quite slow. My router seems to show a speed of around 5800kbps, which i dont understand.

Can someone please explain the results below, is it a PN problem or BT?

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5504 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 93 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What that shows is that some sort of problem has caused an event where you synced at a very, very low speed and your IP Profile has been set accordingly. Your current sync speed is fine, and if your connection stays stable for 3 days or so, always connecting at around that speed, your IP Profile will rise. If it goes down again you will need to track down what causes the problem of the low sync.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Thanks for the reply

As far as i'm aware my connection has been stable for well over 3 days, this was confirmed by CS. If this is the case how do i track the cause of the problem? In the past i have been told to reset my router on a daily basis. This morning it is showing a speed of around 6000kbps. I still dont understand how my router seems to be connecting at such a high speed?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

Looks like something caused your sync speed to drop lower than 160k on the 23rd January, the speed was then lifted to 2MB on the 26th, but dropped again that same day.

The ticket which is currently with our faults team will be tested and raised to BT if necessary.
N/A

i was assured on friday that this ticket that is with the faults team would be looked at the same day. I called in the afternoon today only to be told that it will be looked at tommorow. Until then i am still suffering with a speed of around 97kbps which was the last test i did. So i now have no choice but to wait another day. It has now been over a week i have had these slow speeds. I havent been able to do much on the net since. I still havent been given any reason for the fault. If i can just have an approximate time i can expect this fault to be resolved it would mean less calls for you, less messages on the forums and above all less stress for me.

What would be great is if you would commit to turnaround times for each fault. This would really make you stand out from other isp's.