cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge file downloading?

David_W
Rising Star

Huge file downloading?

Vista went Open Beta, yay, its 4gb (bubye download quota...)

As its over the 32bit limit, IE wont recognise the size (not even IE7). So how can I download a 4,109,730 KB file, without finding at the end its totally corrupted and I need to redownload another 4GB file?

Does Firefox support 4GB+ files native?
19 REPLIES
N/A

Huge file downloading?

Hi dgwebb,

This is just a suggestion but if you really want to get hold of Windows Vista Beta version (beta usually stands for buggy version if MS past track record of windows releases is anything to go bye?) why NOT ask someone at F9 to download the file/s for you as they are on the large side and place them on a local F9 server for you. This might make life a little easier and then you could set up a download for after midnight i.e. off peak time?

Ivan
David_W
Rising Star

Huge file downloading?

Its not the size of the file, I rarely download so am at probably a couple of gig, if that peak rate (and off peak is in 40 mins, so will give me 1 1/2 gig off peak).

Internet explorer, and Sun Download Manager, and many other download managers cant handle files larger than 32 bit in size (think its 2GB or something, the integer value cant be higher than 2 billion and a bit).

Because the file size is just over 4GB, Internet explorer cant download it, it registers the size as 13mb instead of 4GB+. I had the same problem with SuSE Linux, cant remember how I fixed it though.

So its basically how to download such a large file. Firefox seems to show the correct size, but again I dont know if it will actually download the full file size, or if it will corrupt at the end.
carpangler
Grafter

Huge file downloading?

Is the file size a problem once it gets on to your disk. Is your disk formated in fat32 as I think that has a 2Gb limit (though I may be wrong!). If so, you might need to convert to ntfs. This can be done at a command prompt using 'convert c: /fs:ntfs' for instance.
Hope this helps, enjoy
David_W
Rising Star

Huge file downloading?

I'm using XP Professional on NTFS filing system, its the size of the file that is the problem.

Imagine a file is made of numbers, each Byte is the number going up. On a 32 bit Integer you can only count around 2 billion bytes, or 2gb. Now imagine you tried to count to 4 billion, when the max you can count to is 2 billion, you'll not know what 4 billion is.

Or, a bottle holds 2 litres of booze, you want to buy 4 litres, you only can handle 2 litres, any more and the booze is going to pour out, that is what is happening with IE, I'm trying to get a 4 litre drink from a 2 litre bottle, so is there a way for me to get hold of a bottle that can hold more than 4 litres so I can get drunk?

/edit - never mind, someone posted firefox works fine for the large files.

If you want to download it though, there is a mirror here.

You'll still need the CD Key (From Microsoft) but thats easy enough to get and you wont have to wait a month for MS's servers to stop being overloaded Wink
jabns2
Grafter

Huge file downloading?

firefox can handle it as i downloaded vista 2 weeks ago and longhorn server beta 2 ( I am an MSDN subscriber :lol: ). I did this fine and all worked for me. Also if you want to be on the safe side use binary newsreading softare and that will do the trick. You can get some that can do FTP and HTTP downloads as well. There are free ones available but don't know of any because i use something called USENEXT and is not free Cry . Vista and longhorn are good but they are a bit buggy (expected) and in the end i reformatted and gave my feedback. I am now back on XP as i found it was just too stable and on my testing server i put server 2003 (MS) back on as Longhorn Servers Productivity levels go down the drain because it is to secure for its own good.
David_W
Rising Star

Huge file downloading?

Used Firefox, it bugged out at the very end and I lost the whole download. I really hate the internet, trying some programme Debian recommends for downloading their DVD ISO's, thankfully its all off peak, still really beeped at Firefox now though >.<

/edit - dislike firefox more now, the mirror site no longer mirrors Vista, and Microsoft is so bogged down you probably wont be able to download it till next year :-/
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Huge file downloading?

I use the "Freedownload Manager" from this site http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ to download all my Linux and Windows stuff.

It will download files over 2 Gig and can resume from most sites if the connection drops. Runs with most versions of Windows including XP.

Have a look it's free!

Regards, Colin.
David_W
Rising Star

Huge file downloading?

I cant download it anymore. Microsoft seems to have under-estimated the demand, 100,000,000 people trying to download Vista has blown their servers up, so I'm still stuck hitting F5 till I can actually get onto the downloading page.

Think I blame IIS7, they are using the new .Net 2.0 features where if the server cant handle the load, it gives a "We're busy" message :-/
Pendragon
Rising Star

Huge file downloading?

Don't know why your having so much trouble, I have just logged into the site and am downloading Vista beta 2 at 480 K with no problems.

Well I did have one, my printer has run out of ink in the colour cartridge and the Vista key did not print so i had to write in down by hand :lol: .

Good downloading, regards Colin.
David_W
Rising Star

Huge file downloading?

Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista Beta 2.

We are currently experiencing a high level of demand and cannot process your request at this time.

Please check back later for availability. We apologize for any inconvenience.

That is all I get, i've hit F5 so many times my keys melted :twisted:

[irony]I cleared cache in Firefox, and now its downloading, with Fastget[/irony]

97kps, less than 1/2 my "top speed", i want to cry ; ;
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Huge file downloading?

I think I'll stick with Windows 2000 for now. Don't think we'd be able to mirror the download, Microsoft don't generally like other people distributing their software.
David_W
Rising Star

Huge file downloading?

Psst, Dave.... any chance of you umm, getting Microsoft to fit the bandwith bill this month? Wink

I'm at 25% @ 237kps, so if this fails, thats 8GB down the tube and another 4GB to come, which is really, almost all my bandwith for this month, so if you can be nice and umm, get Microsoft to err, take care of my bandwith for me? :p

As for a mirror, yep, Microsoft doesnt like that at all, they wont even let cover CD's host their free files (IE, DX, Media Player), so an ISP would just be asking for trouble, unless this download breaks, in which case, member login area only *coff coff* hehe.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Huge file downloading?

Just to let you know the .iso arrived safe and well in 1hr 55 min.

And I forgot to reinstall Nero when my PC went base over apex two weeks ago so now I can't burn the thing out to a DVD Shockedops:
I blame it all on this hot weather, it's addleing my brain, Doh!

Hope you get your copy OK, regards, Colin Cool .
David_W
Rising Star

Huge file downloading?

2nd download with firefox broke down too, and to make my day perfect:

Your peak-time usage for this billing month just exceeded 8GB.

Although this is not more than your allowance, we wanted to make you aware of light restrictions to your connection speeds that come into force should you reach 10GB. These restrictions help you to stay within your allowance, and ensure that all customers receive the best possible quality of service.
Sad