cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge difference between speed test and file download speed

Bigbrotherjx
Grafter

namely that my file download speed is much much higher than that reported in speed tests. Using the Speakeasy test, my download speed crawls upwards from 2Mb to around 2.6Mb over the course of the test, but when download from quick servers, the speed reported in the browser is consistently 480KB/s which would be around 3.8Mb. What is going on?
6 REPLIES
James
Grafter

What do you get after running a BT Speedtest:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27
Community Veteran

Hi hongming

I noticed this some time ago. See my post in an older thread here >Link
Salopian
Dabbler

I just ran the BT speedtest and got 3800Kbs. The plusnet speedtest gives me 6.48Mbs. Why so slow to BT?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I think this could be down to one of several reasons. The first is that speedtests by the fact that they generally only download a relatively small file can be inaccurate at times and will only give a brief snapshot, and the faster the line the briefer that snapshot is.

A few other suggestions, which OS are you using? I've seen speedtest reports on some OS's such as Linux or older versions of Windows using the Microsoft Java virtual machine rather than Sun's Java that have been inaccurate.

Also the speed test is reliant on your system clock being accurate, while pop-up/ad blockers, firewalls etc. can all on occassions add inaccuracies to results.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it. Not many people get broadband to just run speedtests (although I am convinced there are some Smiley) so as long as the actually speeds are fine I wouldn't be concerned about it.
Salopian
Dabbler

The reason that I ran the BT speed test was precisely because I was getting slow download speeds.
N/A

Another speed test that just measures the time to download a 470kb graphic file is here
http://homepage.eircom.net/~leslie/testpage.htm
It doesn't rely on Java (I use Linux and can't be othered with Java). I find it correlates well with the PN speed-tester except that, sometimes but not allways, repeating the test results in slower results; perhaps this is due to traffic shaping?
As noted above this test is not really a good measure for timing large file downloads but if the connection performs satisfactorily it should really fly on surfing.
Douglas