cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell if you've been LLU'd?

sinewave
Grafter

Apart from the email informing of a transition to LLU (which most folk don't seem to see) how can you tell if you've been put on to LLU?

TIA
14 REPLIES
N/A

DSL connection no longer works? :lol:

A change in upload speeds?
Alecto
Grafter

Your upload sync speed is greater than 448K
sinewave
Grafter

Your upload sync speed is greater than 448K

Good suggestion - I never thought of that!

Why doesn't PN state this in 'connection settings" or somewhere. It ~~is~~ a significant factor - especially if ISP migration is under consideration.
N/A

Also, your stable rate by default is 8000 I believe.
Alecto
Grafter

Not if your line can't take it.
The LLU bit is only in the exchange, not all the copper leading to your house which, if it is bad, remains bad.
LLU is not a shortcut to faster download speeds.
N/A

Well, that isn't the same as what I've read or experienced.

On BT MaxDSL, the max stable rate is by default the sync rate you first connect with for the first 10 days and then is modified as and when the equipment finds it necessary, with increases any happening after 3 days of similar speeds.

On LLU, the max stable rate seems to be by default 8000 regardless of your first connection sync rate.

Now, according to PN's "stable rate" page, my stable rate is also 8000, regardless of the fact that I've never managed 5000 or above.

So I'd say it was a pretty accurate indication.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Geoff,
According to the latest FAQ on LLU the stable rate is set at 8,000 regardless of your synch rate.
I don't understand this given the explanations for the stable rate as previously given.
Alecto
Grafter

Haven't read the FAQ so can't say. must do so when I get a minute.

If so, then presumably that just means that if you're on LLU Pn no longer limit your speed over and above your exchange-defined sync limit. I can't see how your achievable speed can be any different.
N/A

No one ever said the achievable speed was any different..

All I said was that having a stable speed (as defined by the plusnet "stable speed" page) of 8000 seemed to be a good indication (in addition to the other factors already mentioned) to indicate that you had been moved over to LLU.

Of course, you can't download faster than your sync rate or whatever speed the exchange decides to give you.
Alecto
Grafter

Yes I suppose it may be. Provided you don't already have a stable rate of 8000. Or does nobody have one of those unless they're on LLU?
I was not implying that your answer was any different from what it was, I was merely commenting to Jim when he said "I don't understand this given the explanations for the stable rate as previously given."
There is no need to be so touchy.
N/A

I assumed you were saying that the stable rate couldn't be 8000 if you line couldn't handle it, which, on LLU, is completely false.

Maybe we both got the wrong end of the stick.

I think this is when quoting the text your replying to may be a good idea - but then again, the mods will probably remove it saying it's not necessary Tongue :lol:
Alecto
Grafter

:lol: :lol:
tumnus
Grafter

I think I've been LLU'd, but I don't know who with. I thought PlusNet only had a contract with Tiscali, but the only LLU provider at my exchange according to Sam Knows and DSL ZoneUK is Bulldog. The next LLU providers due at my exchange are CPW and Be, but those aren't due for another month at least.

I got an email today stating:

"we will be updating your broadband connection to use a new part of our broadband network on 01-08-2006."

The email arrived, this evening, after the change over :shock:

Now I'm back on Fast Path (was having stability issues with BT so got put on Interleaved and a target SNR of 12db). My download attenuation has gone up to 50db (was 44db). It's back to syncing over 3.5mb, which is too high for my line in the evenings and it has already lost connection once. But it keeps syncing lower each reconnect so I guess it is early days yet.

On the upside I do seem to be getting faster speeds from various test sites and my upload sync has increased to 630kbps. I'm actually getting somewhere near 600kbps in uploads, unlike with BT where it seemed to be hard-limited to 400kbps regardless.

My stable rate still says 2500 though and it does seem to be limited at that even though I am synced over 3000.
halfchan
Grafter

It is easy.
1) Your stable 2mb connection wil now be an unstable 100-200k connection.
2) You will be told there is nothing wrong with your line
3) You will be asked to carry out futile checks and tests for months with up to a weeks gap in communication.
4) You will become suicidal
Cheesy