cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to report a speed issue with Red exchange?

Community Veteran

I am currently experiencing a very slow connection, last night and this morning have been down to around 7/8 kbytes/second.

The VP status of my exchenge is RED, and has been for a while, I havent really noticed a major slowdown on my 1mb line until recently. Now its modem speeds all the time.

I have now tested with two different modem/routers and the speed is the same.

I admit, I have not tried a bt speed test yet, and will do when I get home, but thought Id start the error checking process anyway, with a view to submitting the fault via contact us when I get home.

I get as far as "exchange Status RED" in the fault checker, and the only option is to close the checker. So can I raise a speed issue with PN while my exchange is red?

If not, then where do I as a customer stand? I have no route to BT to talk about the red status, and I have no route to PN as the exchange is red? So what do I do?

I have a sneaky suspiscion that this is not to do with the exchange however as I have been having no issues for the last month or so while the exchange is red..
61 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Unfortuneatly a RED exchange can mean speeds are affected. Until the exchange is no longer RED, PN cannot put in a fault report to BT because they will just send it back saying the exchange is RED.

You do need to run a BT speed test as that will indicate if it's a BT problem or a PlusNet problem - the BT speed test ONLY uses the BT network so if it is also showing the low speeds there is nothing you can do but wait for BT to fix the exchange. If the speeds are normal then it's a PN problem so raise a ticket and explain why you think it's a PN problem (BT speed test speeds OK) and also why you can't complete the fault tracker.
Community Veteran

Thanks Peter, I thought I would have to run the BT speed test - Ill print out the details of how to do it at work, as I tried to get them at home and got fed up waiting for the pages to load.

It does seem remarkably strange that for weeks, even months that the exchange has been showing red, ive never really noticed a slow down. Then all of a sudden its down to modem speeds...

Suppose thats how it goes though, it either works or it doesn't.

Ill try a bt speed test when I get home, see what that comes up with.

If that comes back with modem speeds though, proving it is a BT issue, where do I stand about raising a fault? I'll be beggared if I'm paying £15 a month (yes Ive dropped to BB+) for dialup internet speeds.
Community Veteran

the BT speed test ONLY uses the BT network so if it is also showing the low speeds there is nothing you can do but wait for BT to fix the exchange.

But even if his exchange is at red, surely if his 3 BT speed tests come back below the "acceptable for broadband" figure touted by BT, then via a ticket to PN surely he should be able to log it - if not as a fault, then surely he should be able to log it as a complaint against BT? (He said it has been red for quite some time now)
I would have thought they would be more inclined to fix the probs sooner if the amount of complaints rise - isn't there a threshold at which point the number of complaints against them -where they have not acted in a timely fashion- would cost them a fine or something? (Should be imo).
Community Veteran

I havent completed the BT tests yet, but will do as soon as I get home.

I'm hoping it is just some sort of 24 hour blip or something, as its certainly the most dire experience Ive had with broadband and PN in all the years.
Community Veteran

Completed the speed tests, 5 Kilo Bits per second. Yes thats right - 5.

Took about an hour to complete the speed test, and about 45 minutes to get here totry and find the telephone number.

If any kind support soul wants to raise a fault with BT for me, that would help, as I have tried with two routers, at different times of the day. Tested in the master socket, no difference.

Speed is awful. Takes about 10 minutes to load the plusnet homepage.

Ill try and find the phone number to contact and raise a ticket, but if I get told to run any tests, at 5k bits a second, Ill not be a happy chap.
Community Veteran

Could you ask your neighbours if they have similar probs?

Could I get an answer to my earlier question please? -Peter your opinion would be most appreciated of course, but also an opinion from COMMS please.
Community Veteran

Well couldn't get on again at all after posting that last night. Managed to get the support number to call,

and spent the next 16 minutes on hold. ( I thought these call answering times were supposed to be coming down?)

I eventually gave up, as waiting longer than that for a support call to be answered is ridiculous. Of course I could have raised a contact us ticket had I been able to connect to the internet with anything resembling a connection.

I noticed while I was on hold that the music and messages seemed very quiet. I had noticed this when I called the doctors on Tuesday too. So I thought I would raise a fault with BT, as clearly something seems amiss with the line itself. So I tried to connect to the BT page to raise a fault, but after leaving pages for twenty minutes to load, I gave up on that too.

I'll try raising the faults here from work...
Community Veteran

Just gone through the BT "report a fault" system which happily comes back with "we cannot detect a fault with this line", strangely after taking about one nanno second to think about it after pressing the "submit fault" button.

Seems my only option left is PN contact us...
Community Veteran

Ticket raised, although following the contact us request to the letter, and selecting "speed" as the issue in the connection errors page, simply takes me back to the "your exchange is Red" - thankyou and goodbye, page that I have seen before.

So - now I wait and see. BT dont want to know on their online checker, and following PN to the letter results in, sorry your exchange is red.

It would apear that perhaps PN contact us tool could do with an update, as what are people in my position supposed to do?

Ticket number 18678446 if anyone is interested.
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

There is an option speak to an engineer when you report a phone fault. Try that and see how you get on. You could also try talking to PlusNet CS if you can get through.
Community Veteran

If plusnet think Im spending more than quarter of an hour on hold, then they have another thing coming.

I would have tried phoning again this morning from home, or last night, if A I thought I would have been able to get through, and B, if I thought I would have been able to hear the people at the other end anyway.

Thats the problem. The line at home is just about useless. I can hardly hear any phone calls, and cant connect to the internet - even dialup doesnt work as the voice section of the line is knackered too.

Which leaves me in an interesting predicament - I can raise it with BT, but obviously cant mention broadband, or I'll just get directed back to my ISP by someone who doesn't take the time to actually read what I write,

Or I can raise the fault with Plusnet (which I have via contact us) though as I have mentioned my voice calls are almost inaudible, I'm fully expecting to be told to contact BT.

I suppose there is the chance my phone line could evolve into some organic being and heal itself though.? :lol:

Im at work now, so its not an issue - Ill just see how things go..
N/A

Thats the problem. The line at home is just about useless. I can hardly hear any phone calls,

chris,

if your voice line is that bad can't you just report that as a fault? if that is fixed then surely your adsl would be fine, the two problems are connected.

my line is also knackerd, i have not had a stable connection at home since monday and bt says they have found the fault but it could be upto a week before they can fix it, i never metioned adsl when reporting the fault because my voice line wasn't working either, so i thought it would be easier to stick with that.

what i do find strange is that i have no voice line at all, totally dead, yet i am still able to connect to the internet, i get alot of diconnections but can still stay connected long enough to load web pages.

it hasn't dropped out for 30mins this morning but still no voice line?
Community Veteran

How did you report this to BT?

Ive tried the online report a fault tool with BT, and get a "we cannot detect a fault" please feel free to schedule an engineer visit...

How did you report it, did you have to schedule an engineer?

The fact remains that my adsl is not working, so I have raised a fault with Plusnet. To be honest I hardly make any voice calls at all, just about the only reason I have a phone line is for broadband. And its not working, so I have contacted my ISP.

So indeed if the two faults are related (which I think they are), then fixing the adsl one should fix the voice one too. So hopefuly Plusnet will fix it quicker than BT.

Still, no harm in reporting the relevant faults to both areas (voice to BT and adsl to PN) as I suppose there is more chnce of getting it fixed.
LiamM
Grafter

Have you tried the Plusnet fault tracker?

If it's just the ADSL at fault, then contacting BT won't help you. And if BT do intervene and mess up your ADSL, you'll be at fault and required to pay for reconnection for not reporting it via your ISP.