cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to minimise downtime on LLU migration?

N/A

Like many others I've decided I've had enough and I'm leaving after nearly 5 years. The problem is I'm on the whole LLU thing - and my intended destination is not a member of the Reverse Migration pilot - so its not as easy as just getting a MAC code...

My service is going to be cancelled as of 5th January. I realise that some downtime without any internet access is inevitable - but does anyone have any tips on how I can keep this to an absolute minimum?

My missus will kill me if its off for longer than a couple of weeks...
15 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

If you are migrating, this should be minimal.

The downtime should be no more than a couple of hours for an LLU transfer, no more than 30minutes for an IPStream > IPStream migration.

Basically, the engineer at the exchange should disconnect you from the LLU kit and plug you into new LLU kit (or BT's).
N/A

However I've been advised that my intended new ISP isn't on the migration pilot, so I will have to cancel and reprovision, and suffer up to two weeks of downtime. Is that not accurate?

(Apologies if the word migration in my subject line confused things)
James
Grafter

Yup. If you're looking at a cease and reprovide, you will be looking at a 5-7 working day downtime. The downtime being from the point of cease completion.
Liam
Grafter

That is at a minimum. It could be longer depending on a) how quickly BT's ordering database shows the cease completed (can take 48 hours), and then b) how quickly the new ISP places the order (which then takes 5 working days (normally) to complete.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Not forgetting of course you're subject to a new activation fee from your new ISP (whether paid directly to them, or they cover it some way within your contract).

Either way you generally end up out of pocket.
N/A

OK, thanks - as I suspected - one to two weeks of downtime...

Its absolutely crazy in my opinion - imagine having two weeks of no electricity everytime you wanted to change provider!

The powers that be (whoevers fault it is) need to sort it out - as anyone who can't afford the downtime are currently forced to stay with their current ISP and put up with potentially substandard service because they can't move.
James
Grafter

Essentially, it is actually the fault of the other ISPs. BT are trying to encourage them to take part in the LLU migration trial, and it is down to them to do so.

Yes, there could be the argument that we handled our LLU migration process poorly, which I would agree with to a large extent, but we have put in a large amount of work, both at our end and with Tiscali to make LLU migrations possible, only for a number of ISPs not to bother.
carrot63
Grafter

Essentially, it is actually the fault of the other ISPs. BT are trying to encourage them to take part in the LLU migration trial, and it is down to them to do so.

Yes, there could be the argument that we handled our LLU migration process poorly, which I would agree with to a large extent, but we have put in a large amount of work, both at our end and with Tiscali to make LLU migrations possible, only for a number of ISPs not to bother.

Poorly? Now theres a massive understatement! The work put in was done very, very late in the day, and there was no consideration at all given to MACs and migrations prior to forcibly moving customers to LLU, and a great deal of evasion after it all went pear shaped. There was a statement somewhere that PN would pay any signup charges for those who could not migrate to an ISP of their choice, but that very quickly disappeared.

PN are not the only company with commercial pressures, and the fact that others are reluctant to take LLU MACs with (as I understand it) the extra work that involves is neither a surprise, nor an excuse for PN to start blaming others. You are the ones that reduced customer choice, not other ISPs.
James
Grafter

It's a bit of both really, and everyone should be able to see that. I'm not placing the entire blame on either party. OFCOM are pushing for LLU circuits to be unbundled, so they should also be pushing for ISPs to be signing up to the pilot.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

So the lack of a migration process played which part in PlusNet deciding to move people across before it was even implemented?

And there was the assurance that no-one would be financially disadvantaged should they be moved across and would subsequentially wish to migrate. This applies in the OP's case - so should that statement still stand then PlusNet would be happy to cover the new activation fee - Yes?

I am not putting PlusNet at the blame over the migration system, which is still poorly implemented on account of Ofcom, BT and the other ISP's.

However the above was not even considered by PlusNet before senior management and the accountants signed the deal with Tiscali - too concerned with the bandwidth savings me thinks.
carrot63
Grafter

You may not be placing blame, James, but from my position stuck in a twilight zone between LLU and BTw for two and a half months (following 4 weeks of constant disconnections), I am laying the blame squarely at your door. In my case other ISPs simply do not enter into it.

Certainly OFCOM should have given a great deal more thought to the ins and outs of LLU before jumping, but then as a one trick pony that believes the market will solve all, forethought was never going to be an option. What doesnt figure in any of this, be it OFCOM, PlusNet or anyone else in the industry is the needs of customers.
carrot63
Grafter

However the above was not even considered by PlusNet before senior management and the accountants signed the deal with Tiscali - too concerned with the bandwidth savings me thinks.

As in "no connection, no bandwidth used?"
N/A

So my cease was allegedly going to occur on Jan 5th. I was steeling myself for 2 weeks of downtime in the New Year as I switched providers.

Imagine my surprise when my broadband got cut off on Monday evening (Dec 18th!) halfway through my final billing month!

Plus.net have refunded me 17 days worth of money - but my family now face the prospect of the whole festive holiday period without internet access, and as you might imagine I'm about as popular in my household as The Grinch. Thanks a bunch.

Oh - and Sky Broadband won't even take my order yet cos apparently my line is still showing as connected to Plus.net. God knows how long that will take to clear.

Sad
carrot63
Grafter

Sorry to hear about your loss of service, although much surprises me any more. Any chance a phone call to PN might get the service back?

Re Sky and the existing service on your line, it might be worth calling BTs "Tags on line" team, at 08001690934. I've found them very helpful, and at least you'll know what exactly is on the line. If it is a Tiscali tag, you should get onto them or PlusNet quickly to remove it as Tiscali are notoriously slow at removing tags.

Hope you get some sort of result before Christmas.