cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to leave PlusNet?

N/A

How to leave PlusNet?

Out of the blue this weekend I had an email from PlusNet saying that I had exceeded some traffic usage limit (which I'd never heard of) and that my download speeds were now being capped. I've spent a frustrating morning wading through this forum and various PlusNet FAQs, and I'm pretty surprised at what I've found out. I've therefore decided to take my £29.99 per month and give it to another ISP, and hopefully not get capped (or suprised as I have been by PlusNet).

However, I have no idea about how to change broadband providers. Iehst re a set procedure? Do I give PlusNet notice of my intention to quit, and sign up with someone else? I've not decided which ISP to go to (that's going to be another morning of frustrating searches, no doubt), but in the meantime should I inform PlusNet of my intention to stop subscribing to their service?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Rob
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

How to leave PlusNet?

Welcome to the forums

You need to raise a ticket at: http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=tickets and ask them for your Migration Code or MAC Code.
This code should be provided to you by PN and you should then give this to your new ISP who will transfer your connection from PN to themselves via BTw!

The MAC code is valid for 30days after which BTw will reject it.

If your new ISP does not accept migrations then you need to get PN to cancel your account which takes BT up to 10days and then sign up to your new ISP which then takes up to another 10days for BT to reactivate your conneciton

Also if you have a 12 month contract and are still within it you will have to pay the rest of the contract and any other outstanding charges you may owe
N/A

How to leave PlusNet?

Thanks Andy, that's a bit easier than I thought it would be. I'm sure I'm out of a 12 month contract, so I guess I just need to choose another ISP (who hopefully accept this Migration Code thingy).
Community Veteran

How to leave PlusNet?

I suggest using www.adslguide.org.uk for searching for a new ISP as the advice on there is usually very good I did a very quick search search for you on there for all ISPs that support in and out migrations which you can see at: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/packagelist.asp?filter=advanced&mif=1&mich=B&wrf=1&wrch=2&advsearch...

you can also do your own search at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/search.asp?type=advanced
N/A

How to leave PlusNet?

Thanks, that's really helpful Andy. I didn't know there were so many ISPs. More reading for me to do today!
Community Veteran

How to leave PlusNet?

no bother hope you sort it all out! If you need any more help then just ask!
Community Veteran

How to leave PlusNet?

Rob;

Just a word of warning. Less and less ISPs are truely unlimted now; Zen Internet being one of the last and there are serious doubts among many how long they can stay unlimited for. Rather than looking for an unlimited ISP you may be better off looking for one that can cater for your usage. I would give them a rough figure of how much you intend to use per month and ask if they are able to support your usage in the longer term.

Good luck wherever you go let us know how you get on at plusnetters
Community Veteran

How to leave PlusNet?

always plugging eh dan! Wink
N/A

How to leave PlusNet?

Less and less ISPs are truely unlimted now; Zen Internet being one of the last

I've been looking at Zen, as well as Bulldog. Are Bulldog unlimited? They say they are, but I've not read the small print.
shellsong
Grafter

How to leave PlusNet?

Be* don't put any limits on their customers but maintain the right to control usage-- when phoned 2 or 3 months back they seemed to reckon 100-150 GB was a perfectly normal monthly usage though!
jagger
Grafter

How to leave PlusNet?

100-150 gig should be ok on a 30quid Plusnet account too.

All ISP's will be capping during the next twelve months.Those that don't will be shutting down.Simple economics of the deal they get with BTW, who also keep moving the goalposts by the way.

Mind you,we ain't playing footy now.It's ring-around-the-rosie.
shellsong
Grafter

How to leave PlusNet?

No, PlusNet couldn't afford it, they buy their bandwidth from BT Wholesale! Be* are an ADSL2+ LLU!
Community Veteran

How to leave PlusNet?

Shellsong;

Whilst PN couldn't afford it if everyone decided to max out their connection they can if only a few people do as it is balanced by the heavier users...
N/A

How to leave PlusNet?

Wherever you go, with very, very few exceptions, won't be as bad as plus.net's new suppa fuppa cappa thing. Wherever you go your ISP will require less maintenance - you won't be sitting with calculator, clock and monitoring page in front of you wondering all the time if you can still grab a game patch this month. There is still plenty of ISPs with unlimited usage accounts, even if at slightly higher price. I don't believe claims that "All ISP's will be capping during the next twelve months." could ever be substantiated as pricing factors mentioned which apparently driven plus.net into being high maintenance prima donna are still hazy - BT price lists suggest all charges are now flat regardless of usage but plus.net claims they still pay per gigabyte. So be it.

If you can, go LLU. If it's not available in your area, go for smaller player, without too many shareholders to feed. The closer aspirations to AOL, the more stupid ISP policies becaome. Wink
shellsong
Grafter

How to leave PlusNet?

Too true, Daniel, like it used to be in the olden days of PlusNet before they became an avaricious Plc and BT changed their pricing model! Those were the days,eh! Wink Cool