cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to find the router synching speed

N/A

I know this is a basic question but I recently moved back to my paraents place and they have a Netgear DG814 router. They were one of the first PN customers to get max'd but have never had a speed higher than 1.5MB. I want to check what speed the router is synching at but have no idea where to find that.

BT says thet 1.5mb is the fastest possible speed because of the distance from the exchange, however the online exchange checker shows that the line can support a connection of "3.5Mbps or greater".

What other things can I do from my end to try and speed up this connection?

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I haven't used that router for a while but from memory
Type http://192.168.0.1 in your browser
User name admin
Password password
Go to maintenance, gateway status.
This router doesn't support any diagnostic info such as snr so its a bit difficult to tune the system.
The first thing to try assuming you have a NTE5 BT faceplate is to remove the lower half and plug the router directly into it.
If this gives a big increase in synch speed then you need to look at the internal wiring on your side of the BT box.
Rather than going into detail at this point lets see what the results are.
N/A

Thanks very much for your help, Holtlane. I did exactly what you said and i couldn't see anything that said "synching" so i assume that the following details are what we are looking for.....

Modem
ADSL Firmware Version 3.9.122
Modem Status Connected
Connect Mode Interleaved Mode
Down Stream 1984 Kb/s
Up Stream 448 Kb/s
VPI 0
VCI 38

It has an old fashioned single faceplate so i can't do what you suggested as far as that is concerned Sad
N/A

You're getting the right download rate considering what your syncing at anyway. You have interleaving enabled which usually suggests you had a problem with your line originally to get that turned on.
Community Veteran

The BT checker for my line also said that I could get up to 3,500 kbps but the errors overnight were so bad it was impossible to achieve(interleaving was also automatically enabled and the default signal noise rate increased to 12db)
To try and sort my system out I changed from the DG834 (same as DG814 but with 4 lan ports) to a Speedtouch which gave the diagnostic capability.
With this I managed to push my stable synch speed from about 2000 kbps to 3000kbps.
If you want to know what BT give as your stable speed (effectively the download limit speed) use this link
N/A

Well that just proves there is deffinately a problem. Up until a few days ago my stable rate was ALWAYS 1500kbps. It's now showing as only 500 Kbps.
N/A

if that's what your speed is now, then you must have had a bad sync recently to pull it down to that level.

This has happened to me once. It took almost a month to get back upto 1500kbps. You need to make sure your house wiring is top notch (basically).
Community Veteran

Basically that means that at some time recently your router rebooted at a speed less than 1152 kbps.(thunderstorm perhaps)
If you can keep it going for three days - doesn't need to be on continuously - without synching lower than 1726 kbps the BT automatic system should put you back where you were.
N/A

Ahh, that could well be it, then. last week we had some bad thunderstorms. I usually turn off all puters and the router during those but on one occasion I got cought out when a storm that was floating around took out the power three times in quick succession.