cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access my e-mails?

hneil
Grafter

I have tried to make the big step up to Broadband and am now left with nothing, as far as PlusNet is concerned. On Wednesday, BT converted me to Broadband and my router shows a dsl connection. However, it seems that PlusNet have not made the connection at their end (ticket 9726794, in case anyone at PlusNet is reading this. This ticket, like many others, seems to have been ignored). My old account does not function and my PlusNet PAYG account makes a connection but will not download anything; no web pages, no e-mail, no newsgroups.

I find that using a PAYG connection provided by Which? (Consumers Association), I can access web pages (but still cannot use Thunderbird), including PlusNet pages. However, when I try the webmail, I can only get to the login page. After that, the page times out.

I am now desperate to access my e-mail. I am aware of the e-mail problems that have afflicted some customers but my e-mail did not seem to be affected. At least it was working well until last Wednesday. Can anyone please suggest a way that I could access my e-mail?
10 REPLIES
N/A

I had exactly the same when I first signed up to broardband. After 2 phone calls where CS suggested two different things including make sure I have to most up-to-date firmware in my router and checking umpteem complicted things the 3rd CS advisor hit it.
He told me to type into my web browser the actual IP address of Google, not the www.google....etc but http://101.207......... or what ever. Up came Google. The problem was I was not automatically obtaining PLusNet DNS. I had to manually input it. Then all worked. The setings were Primary DNS 212.159.13.49, secondary DNS 212.159.13.50 in windows Internet Protocol TC/IP settings
I am not at home at the moment otherwise I could advise in more detail but perhaps someone else might like to comment on this possibility.
Let us know what the problem finally turned out to be.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

It might help if you post your router configuration information on the list (minus your password of course Smiley) on the forum, and we might be able to spot a misconfiguration at your end, if that's where the problem is.

Regards, Neil
hneil
Grafter

Hi briston, thanks for the reply.

I cannot find a way to input a dns address into my router (at the moment). I tried the dns addresses you suggested in my PAYG account DUN and I'm afraid that it made no difference.
hneil
Grafter

It might help if you post your router configuration information on the list (minus your password of course Smiley) on the forum, and we might be able to spot a misconfiguration at your end, if that's where the problem is.

Regards, Neil

Good idea but I cannot find any substantial configuration details. Anyone any idea of where to look with a Speedtouch 716 v5 WL, please?

I have to go out for a couple of hours so will post any information this evening.

Regards

Howard Neil
N/A

No, the config is in a windows setup, not your router, Control Panel, network connections, local area network, properties, general TC/IP I think. Have a troll around there. I will have a look when I get home. It may not be the cause but it is something to look at. If you know the IP address of say Google, then that would confirm what I am saying.
N/A

Try this.
In your browser, where you type your address i.e. www.google.com type
http://64.233.167.104 if you get Google after that, there is your problem. You are not finding PlusNets DNS
Let us know
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

No, the config is in a windows setup, not your router, Control Panel, network connections, local area network, properties, general TC/IP I think. Have a troll around there. I will have a look when I get home. It may not be the cause but it is something to look at. If you know the IP address of say Google, then that would confirm what I am saying.

Not necessarily. It is likely that the network configuration on the computer is set to 'obtain DNS automatically', in which case it with be assigned it by the router. The router then, in turn, may be configured to obtain its DNS automatically, in which case its assigned by the PlusNet server.

It's worth checking the computer network configuration but, unless you have a specific need - and know what you're doing, I'd suggest having it set to auto anyway.

If this is the case then we need to a) look at how the router is configured and b) what its DSN assignment is, if set to auto. Trying an IP address would also be a worthwhile test, as it would point to a DNS error somewhere.

Have you tried the connectivity test described on page 24 of the user guide?

http://speedtouchdsl.com/pdf/Manuals/R531/ST716v5_InstallSetup_en.pdf

Regards, Neil
hneil
Grafter

Hi briston,

Thank you very much for the information in your last two posts. You were absolutely right and I now have my PAYG account working and (great relief) I can get my e-mails and see newsgroups.

When I previously entered the DNS info you provided, I just changed the DUN for the PAYG account. I followed your suggested route for the config information and found that the TCP/IP details had no DNS address configured. I entered your suggested ones and had instant success. I did try the google address as suggested (first) and that worked as you expected it to.

Once again, thank you very much for your help. I suppose you don't know how to get PlusNet to sort out my Broadband connection now, do you? ;-)

Regards

Howard Neil
hneil
Grafter

Hi briston (and others),

In solving my e-mail problem, you have also solved my Broadband activation problem as well.

One of the e-mails that I could not get was from PlusNet with a username which had "plusdsl.net" after the @. I was not aware of this form of username until then (I had been using my old one).

What a shame that they did not send that information before my line was converted. It would have saved a lot of anguish and avoided a ticket. It reminds me of a roll-up tool box I bought some years ago. The instructions to open it safely were contained on the inside. :-)

Once again, Thank You.

Regards

Howard Neil
N/A

I only suggested what I did kjaerligkatt because the DNS was not being obtained automaticaly, even though it should have been and thut it had to be entered manually.
Anyway I think 'problem solved'.