cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How the 50p support line will work

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Firstly priority will be given to answering calls on the 50p line. This will mean that the 0845 line will be less likely to be answered. Waiting times will go up as will the number of engaged tones. They'll put the numpties on the 0845 line to make sure callers to the 50p line get the best support agents and a service they'd come back for (more dosh for PN).

Some people with PN faults to report will get frustrated and try the 50p line - they find they get answered more quickly so they use that in preference. Result: more calls on the 50p line less operators on the 0845, and so the cycle continues.

In time very few calls are going on the 0845 so it's shut down 'due to lack of demand'.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
24 REPLIES
N/A

elvin, you're quite the cynical one, aren't you? Smiley

I wonder, how come you're still on Plus.Net if you keep posting problems and cynical remarks about PN. Why don't you change to another ISP? I'm not trying to bring about an arguement but am just curious.

steven
N/A

surely itll be different staff manning each phone system?

thats what the extra training is for? No point training all the staff to handle both systems...or...whats the point of the other line?

"I could answer that but youre on the wrong line... call ME back on xxxxxx and i can help you then"

Huh
Community Veteran

If it wasn't for the hassle of moving a domain with forums I'd probably be gone. Six months ago I would not of thought it possible that I would be considering leaving.

However I have this niggling feeling that technically what PN are doing is probably right.

I just wish they would be "open and honest" - the vast majority of the unhappiness at the moment is because of that.

I just can't believe the extent to which what should have been good news has been mishandled to produce such a PR disaster. Does their inability to handle these things reflect upon the way they are going? Who knows!
channel
Grafter

If it wasn't for the hassle of moving a domain with forums I'd probably be gone.

Maybe when the 50p support line is set up, you might be able to ring it and get some good advice about how to move them all across with minimum hassle?

(joke)
N/A

channel,

:lol: , Does it not seem that this move is going up and beyond what an ISP is meant to do? Firs the shop and now offering php coding advice, hardware support ( which by right the supplier of the machine should do ) and so on. Sorry just a thought that just crossed my mind.
N/A

50p a minute line = more profit for plusnet = more bandwidth allowance for customers or some better service, or am i just being stupid and PN will pocket the profit?

If its going to be an 0870 number then http://www.saynoto0870.com/ is your friend Wink
Community Veteran

I've been thinking about this overnight.

Plusnet is increasingly run by accountants. If there's a shortage of agents, where will the accountants say efforts have to be concentrated? If there's problems with the quality of agents, where will the accountants say they have to go?
Community Veteran

The last time I was here a few weeks ago, and the waiting time issue was being raised we were all told "we're addressing the long waiting times".

Hey presto, this is the answer.

So, I think a test is necessary to see just how customer focussed this line will be.

If a customer spends 45 minutes on hold to the 0845 number and asks a technical question, once they get through to an agent, will they be told to phone the 50p a minute line?

And... more interestingly..

If a customer phones the 50p a minute line, and asks a question that should have been directed to the much cheaper 0845 number, will they be quickly informed to call that, or (as I anticipate) will their 0845 matter be dealt with on the 50p a minute line at a profit?

cynical, yes. Likely to be proved wrong? I doubt it.
N/A

elvin, you're quite the cynical one, aren't you? Smiley

I wonder, how come you're still on Plus.Net if you keep posting problems and cynical remarks about PN. Why don't you change to another ISP? I'm not trying to bring about an arguement but am just curious.

steven

Some of us like to give PN a hard time because we can't leave without having to pay for it. Damn those things they call contacts! Cheesy
Ianwild
Grafter

If a customer phones the 50p a minute line, and asks a question that should have been directed to the much cheaper 0845 number, will they be quickly informed to call that, or (as I anticipate) will their 0845 matter be dealt with on the 50p a minute line at a profit?

The training that is now beggining to occur in the CSC is really specific on this point I believe - We would ask a customer to call us back on 0845 or raise a ticket as appropriate. We don't want people ringing us on this number - The purpose if to give people a route to advanced support if they don't want to raise a ticket, not to generate revenue.

Regards,

Ian
rammie1976
Grafter

I'm interested in what you think the average call-time of this new 'advanced support' line will be?
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: How the 50p support line will work

Firstly priority will be given to answering calls on the 50p line. This will mean that the 0845 line will be less likely to be answered. Waiting times will go up as will the number of engaged tones. They'll put the numpties on the 0845 line to make sure callers to the 50p line get the best support agents and a service they'd come back for (more dosh for PN).

Some people with PN faults to report will get frustrated and try the 50p line - they find they get answered more quickly so they use that in preference. Result: more calls on the 50p line less operators on the 0845, and so the cycle continues.

In time very few calls are going on the 0845 so it's shut down 'due to lack of demand'.

I think you will have to wait and see - The plan is to deal with correctly placed critical support calls AND 50p a minute calls equally well. We certainly do nto and will never have a strategy that seed us wanting to make money from a customer with a problem.

The fact is that we have been throwing resource at CSC to the point where we can hardly squeeze any more people into their current building! Whileever we have the sort of queries we often get now and really do try to help with (Set-up my cgi script, configure my mail client, Domain Zone file questions etc), we are going to get more and longer calls than we can deal with effectively. It is a lot easier for us to deal with us those sorts of things by Contact Us...

You can argue that "We are being run by accountants", but I disagree - I think we are being run by the need to keep up with an increasingly competitive market.... It may be that they amount to the same things - Not throwing money at a problem automatically (Although we spend £100K on the network in the last couple of weeks!), and making sure that we earn more from our customers than we spend in delivering their service. That I think is the same for any other business out there operating in a highly competitive environment.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Re: How the 50p support line will work

The fact is that we have been throwing resource at CSC to the point where we can hardly squeeze any more people into their current building! Whileever we have the sort of queries we often get now and really do try to help with (Set-up my cgi script, configure my mail client, Domain Zone file questions etc), we are going to get more and longer calls than we can deal with effectively. It is a lot easier for us to deal with us those sorts of things by Contact Us...

So why not say that those issues can only be dealt with via tickets, and via the website help articles/community members in the forum? Why have the 50p/minute line at all.

I'm not saying don't have it, but it just doesn't really seem to have a need to be there, IF the info on the website provides the exact details that people are looking for (such as Set-up my cgi script, configure my mail client, Domain Zone file questions etc)
rammie1976
Grafter

Ian can I ask what you think the average call-time of this new 'advanced support' premium rate line will be?