cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How reliable is the usage monitor?

N/A

I'm still on the old style VMU.

In the last week or so I've had a couple of strange readings wrt usage.
I currently schedule downloads between 12am and 8am. Last week I looked at the VMU and I had over 300Mb of usage between 8am and 4pm, when my PC shouldn't be transferring any data.
I raised a ticket and CS reponded with a suggestion to check for virus/spyware. I did this and the ran a test the next day, where I took a screen shot of my data transfer for my modem (Speedtouch 330) at 8am and then at 9:15. There was less than 1Mb difference in the totals, yet the VMU was saying I'd used 350Mb. I passed the ticket back to CS but again they said nothing was wrong with the usage tool.

Then the other night I noticed that I had I had 1.37Gb of data transfer between 4pm and 12am. All I had done in this time was to check my emails then around 10pm I started up my download client (which sat idle till it's schedule kicked in at midnight).

Has anyone else had similar problems? Or can shed any light as to what may be casuing the strange readings?
I'm not too fussed about the 8am to 4pm, but if I have a few of the 4pm to 12am discrepancies a month then I'll be in danger of going over the new 10Gb peak limit!

Cheers
136 REPLIES
N/A

i have had exactly the same prob
see this thread
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41916

and its about the same amount of data....

seems like they messed up over the weekend with there usage and are now trying to slowly dump it on unsuspecting customers
gofaster
Rising Star

Yes - I am having similar unbelievable figures and as I am on PAYG I will probably be billed for them.
Yesterday, ym usage figure for Tuesday showed about 60Mb. Today it shows over 600Mb.
As an experiment, I turned off my modem at 8 this morning and after 2 hours (checking from work) I appear to have logged over 50Mb of usage with my modem turned off

If I get billed for this I will be leaving and will also be recommending all my referals to do the same.
N/A

come on +net take this seriously, have all three of us with unexplainable usage messed up or is it you and your system that is messing upHuh
spuddler
Dabbler

Hi,BB+
Yes i am having the same problem(posted before)..On the old VBMU(billing date6th),now nearly over the 3GIG peak time limit for month(thats if it is old VBMU,new limits?).
Seems to be a few of us,but from what i have read.Raised a ticket & no response yet,might ring them,but from what i have read i will just be wasting my money Sad
Don't D/Load much but problem has started since i started a BT,D/Loading between Midnight & 8.00am(seems to increase your peak usage for some reason?).Checked & everything seems OK(even unplugged modem/router,makes no difference).Hope this thread runs & runs.

Cheers BOB

ps I suppose also,this forum only shows a small percentage of Plusnet users with a similar problem.
N/A

You might want to set your download schedule to stop 30mins/1 hour earlier than the end of the off peak time. The data packets are still being sent through the PN for a time after the programme is shut off, because it takes a little while for all parts to work out you aren't requesting anymore.
spuddler
Dabbler

Hi,my BT client finishs shutting down say one minute after 8.00am,then router lights stop flashing fast,just the odd ping.Only get,say on average 25KB/s(up+down) on BT,too much discrepancy in peak time usage data increase to pin it to something simple at my end IMO.

Cheers BOBN
N/A

The problem is the information keeps being sent to your account at PlusNet even though it never reaches your machine.
I had mine set to shut down at 8am and it would leech into peak time usage by anything up to 250MB, shutting down at 7.30 still caused some minor usage, but 7am seems to have knocked it on the head.
Although, that's pretty much at full pelt, so anything more you probably have a problem with PN.

Incidentally, I got the standard reply for my inexplicable extra 1GB+ on tuesday. :roll:
N/A

I was concerned when I checked my "usage" a few days ago and found that I'd "used" 1.24GB between 8.00am and 4.00pm on Fri 14th April (Good Friday). I've been on BB+ since I joined last August, and in all that time my typical MONTHLY usage has been about 1GB (between 0.7GB and 1.7GB).

I raised a ticket about this yesterday morning and have just received a reply saying that:

".. as of the 8th May support for CGI, Webspace, network management/SUP, MySQL, frontpage, USENET and fax2email will be via Community Support only and we will not be able to provide support via Contact Us tickets or by telephone. If you require help customers should visit our discussion forums, support pages or USENET for further advice.

The usage seems to be correct for the 14th, on the 11th and 12th [my "usage" for those two dates reads "0MB"!] we had an issue that affected a small ammount of customers where their usage was not recorded but this has now been fixed."

Not particularly helpful.

I remain convinced I didn't use anything like 1.24GB on the 14th April. I received a single email (2kb), didn't send any email, and just browsed my usual webpages (BBC, and a couple of newspapers).

So I sympathise with the other posters here. I believe that the new VMBU tool is faulty and unreliable. I would only need two more similar errors in the current month (to 10th May) to push my usage into the "red" (over 3GB). So I am genuinely concerned.

If "Contact Us" just redirect complaints to this forum, and here we're greeted with complete silence, then what's to be done next? ... Have a closer look at the TalkTalk service?
N/A

Have to agree unfortunatly. I did query it once and was told that it was fine.

Although I don't know HOW i can trust the "yes its working" if the figures from the OLD vmbu and the NEW vmbu are different each and every day. Some days little amounts, others just short of a Gb!

You'll be told that unless you can provide proof of usage at your end then they have to assume their figures are correct. HOWEVER, as soon as you do, they will say that "oh it's due to bandwidth across our network that doesnt reach your machine because its turned off".

So, you have no chance at all of actually creating any sort of argument at all.

Basically.
N/A

Well at least I know it's not just me having this problem.
I'll try changing the scheduler to cut out an hour before the cut off, see if this makes any difference, though when I get moved to 'Option 1' the 8am mark won't be as vital.

I might try using Windows Scheduler to launch my client at sometime after midnight as well, which might help things.
N/A

I raised a ticket 2 days ago as my usage has gone to over 3gb in a few days since the new meter was installed. My normal monthly usage was hardly as much as this.
I have 2 voip phones permanently connected yet these show no traffic whatsoever. I have usage on gaming and other stuff which I never ever have use.
I have recommended pn to several people in the past but I'm afraid I could not do so again.
N/A

Had the same problem here with greatly increased useage according to the old style VMU. Have raised a ticket, but just told to check my WiFi. (which is secure) My usage this month is already 10Gb higher than I've ever been before, and I'm not having a heavy month this month and still got over a week to go. I've already exceeded 10Gb 4pm - midnight, and I don't do downloading during those hours. I just surf and skype 4 - 12.

Just thankful I won't be here next month.

Bish
N/A

has PN checked their server for viruses? I understand that useage is calculated for both directions not just downloads, so if a PN server attempts DOS or similar on you machine, the user (client ) will be charged for this data. Please correct me if what I am saying is incorrect. If any PN machine had Nimbda or similar this could prove to be quite expensive for us paying customers. At the moment the tool does not provide any type of packet analyisis information , or not that I can find.
N/A

has PN checked their server for viruses? I understand that useage is calculated for both directions not just downloads, so if a PN server attempts DOS or similar on you machine, the user (client ) will be charged for this data. Please correct me if what I am saying is incorrect. If any PN machine had Nimbda or similar this could prove to be quite expensive for us paying customers. At the moment the tool does not provide any type of packet analyisis information , or not that I can find.