Did you mean: 

How refreshing !

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

How refreshing !

I have just noticed on the Support page the following notice :
Service problems? It might be us. Before you call, check Service Status
I am very impressed. Here is a business prepared to accept that they are not always perfect and not trying to spin its way out of trouble.

Full marks to Plusnet for integrity. Keep on leading from the front and maybe even BT will learn to be less arrogant !
20 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

How refreshing !

Yep, definately a big part of our business model is to be open and honest about things. Have you seen this page as well?

http://www.plus.net/support/service/problems/index.php?supporta=priorityproblems

Any problem that's raised or upgraded to priority 1 status (the highest priority) gets published there for visibility.
N/A

How refreshing !

Open and Honest ?!!

That's not been my experience, thus far ... if someone had given me a pound for every time PN made me check my wiring, modem, filters, etc. I'd be a very happy customer indeed.

If I was you, I'd reserve the congratulations til you've had the privilege of speaking to a customer service person on the phone ... if you still come away with the feeling that PN think the fault may be with them, I'll gladly eat my words!
shermans
Rising Star

How refreshing !

Well, I am surprised by that last comment because it really does not sound like Plusnet. I am no saint, and I have had ups and downs with Plusnet [including Dave !] but I have always ended up with being treated courteously and fairly. As Dave has just said, no-one is perfect, not even Plusnet, and I still find it refreshing to find a business these days that is prepared to accept the old adage that "the customer is always right" - a part of our British heritage that has been lost.

It is always so easy to be critical but much harder to give credit. rixon , why not try it for once, it will make you feel good !
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

How refreshing !

I don't see what having to check wiring and filters has to do with being open honest. Normally we'll ask you to check wiring and filters as part of basic diagnostics for a no sync or intermittent sync fault. As most of these faults are caused either by a wiring setup or line fault these checks have to be done in every case.
N/A

How refreshing !

Sorry ... I thought Shermans said "Problems? It might be us" ...

So when I experienced best part of a year of intermittent disconnects, that sure as hell weren't me (but I still had to check my wiring, modem, filters, etc.), were PN quick to jump in and say "Don't worry, we think it might be something other than you?" ... well if they were, I must have missed it (probably during another disconnect).

Asking me ONCE, I completely understand ... you have to do basic diagnosis.

Closing my ticket and asking me to do it again is annoying, but bearable.

After that, well, there wasn't any honesty about when you thought you'd finally get it fixed.

Note that this was NOT meant as a rant ... we got there in the end ... just that my experience of PN has been like pulling teeth, with very little open or honest when it came to keeping me in the loop.

Shermans ... I've been a PN customer for the past 5 years. This should let you know that they haven't managed to annoy me enough to move on (although I've requested my MAC on more than one occasion), but the days of recommending PN are no more (even if it would reduce my monthly bill further).

As an IT consultant I am frequently asked for recommendations ... that's when I become "Open and Honest", I've had problems and poor responses, so that's what I feel morally bound to pass on - make me feel good and that the customer service is as good as it was 4 years back, I'll be shouting from the rooftops.
Mand
Grafter

How refreshing !

Hi there,

We have recently made some changes to the way we work faults internally, which has led to good feedback from both customers and suppliers equally. The faults process, along with provisioning, can be very frustrating, for us and you, and is consistently in our top reasons for contacts and complaints. Things can and do go wrong, I think most people appreciate that, but it's how we fix them that counts. Smiley

We now have more people working faults than before, and each fault has more testing than previously, which means we raise fewer faults and repeat faults to BT and cuts down the resolution time. We are also committing to call more customers who experience faults, and are looking at ways to collate more feedback from customers who have completed the process.

I'd like to apologise that your fault was not resolved quickly, and that you were asked for duplicate information. We've all talked about the transformation in the CSC over the last few months, and it's now up to us to prove it and make you start referring us again! Smiley
N/A

How refreshing !

Mand, you have hit the nail on the head.

As far as I was concerned, there was never any question that my problem COULD be fixed. It would also be completely unreasonable of me to expect a fault free service, especially with so many interested parties involved ... but the biggest issues were:
- being passed from one department to another
- each department requesting different information / logging
- repeated requests for tests
- no single point of contact within PN to carry the problem to resolution, once established as a real problem.

Personally, I provide development and support of critical systems within local government and police environments. I wouldn't still have my job if I'd treated them as I was treated by PN, although admittedly they do pay rather more for support Wink

I really do hope to be impressed, should I ever have the need to contact PN's support services again ... and am quietly optimistic that I will be.

However, I'm more interested to see PN quietly rebuild their good reputation, before I join Shermans in praising PN for writing some nice PR words.

In the meantime ... Chesterfield seems to be having about as much fun with his issue as I was with my intermittent disconnects ... perhaps this would be a good example case to shine on ? (Before he gets much louder Smiley)
shermans
Rising Star

How refreshing !

I think it is a depressing reflection on our society that, when someone tries to say something nice for a change, there always has to be some rather sad person out there who tries to spoil it.

This forum is full of pages of people ranting and raving about minor inconveniences, but those same people find it difficult to ever say thank you when things go right, or even to acknowledge that most of the time the experience is actually rather good.

I too work in IT and I know exactly how unjustified so many complaints often are. Cheap jibes like "nice PR words" and other gratuitous insults contribute nothing to the debate, are immature and frankly demotivate. What chance is there of improvement if all attempts at sincerity are simply dismissed as just "nice PR words" ?

For some people, expressions of appreciation are culturally incompatible. These are the sort of people who spend their lives knocking the NHS for instance, and then wonder why morale is so bad. All I have to say to rixon is that he is to be congratulated because, as far as I am concerned, he has won; no doubt he will feel very smug to know that I wish I had never raised the subject in the first place, because it has done more harm than good. Now I am more depressed than ever. Sad

Have a nice day !
chrisc
Grafter

How refreshing !

Not at all.

We really do value positive feedback from our customers. Like you say people can be quick to complain and it does not go unnoticed when people take the time to offer positive comments too Cheesy
N/A

How refreshing !

My apologies Shermans, I had no interest in "winning", nor had I intended "nice PR words" to be a cheap jibe.

As a continued customer of PN, I have a vested interest in them living up to Mand's comments ... and I sincerely hope they do.

My initial response to you was intended as nothing more than stating how I find PN and suggesting a realistic view of those words rather than rose-tinted.

For the record, I do believe in praise and congratulations where earned, however, you must realise that those "nice PR words" are exactly that UNTIL followed up by PN as part of the service they offer their customer base.

As yet, my own recent experience of PN customer service does not match those words, so, in my eyes, you've just praised PN for a hollow (albeit hopeful for the future) sentiment.

Having won my argument Wink, I leave you to enjoy your NHS and it's extremely long queues & hospital closures ... and I apologise again for putting a downer on your day Smiley
Mand
Grafter

How refreshing !

Hi,

I appreciate that nothing I say here is going to change your opinion overnight, and I agree that we have had problems with support until recently.

However, the changes we have made, and are continuing to make, will show that things have changed for the better.

I can assure you that we take all feedback, good or otherwise, and act upon it where possible. Of course we prefer the good feedback Smiley, however the constructive opinions on the not-so-good stuff can really help sometimes, so keep it coming. Wink
shermans
Rising Star

How refreshing !

..............Providing it is not just "having a go" ! We are all sick to death of that.
N/A

How refreshing !

Would I ?!!

Thank you for your comments Mand, I hope not to need PN support in the near future, but if I do, I look forward to an improved experience next time.

Shermans, you're right, we should embrace the spirit in which the statement was made, and although I didn't mean to, I should try not to demoralise where others see good.

Hopefully, I will get the opportunity to "eat my words" as offered from the outset ... and bring in more referrals Wink
N/A

How refreshing !

rixon said:

I look forward to an improved experience next time.

I did too.

And I agree that it's not good to spoil someone's day. But...

The last time, for me, was when I first moved to PlusNet on Premier-up-to-2Mb, and my speed stayed at 500k. Eventually I was told that I needed to raise a ticket, and pay some money. (I was also told that this was "queue jumping".) My line was speeded to 1Mb, and subsequently led to such a series of lies from PlusNet that I have just tolerated the worsening performance ever since, rather than cause more bad feeling.

I promised myself not to queue-jump any more and to wait for the MaxDSL upgrade.

Turns out, I have to request it. Just like rixon, I was inspired by the recent glowing percentages of satisfaction.

So I raised the Question, and had an indication that response time was a few hours. I had an email right away to say:

We will send you an email when our Support Team has responded to your question.

But this has not happened.

Instead, my Question #21805828 was closed 11 hours after submission. The closing reply says:

We acknowledge your request to be regraded to DSLMax as a priority and will endeavour to submit your order ASAP.

Regards
Customer Support

The promised email has been sent neither to my regular email, nor to my PlusNet email.

Do PlusNet not see that there are a number issues here?

Why no email?
What exactly does "endeavour to submit my order" mean?
When can I expect the change over?
Now that the question is closed, will I get any further status updates? (Or is the ball back in my court, to raise another question when my patience expires?)

Even if it is partly my lack of understanding, (such as: needing to opt-in, or such as: the question, although closed, might still generate a further reply) then something has not been well enough explained.

If this seems unconstructive, I'm sorry, I can't help it. I tried the softly, softly approach on my only other interaction. It only served to draw out the time before I realised that I was not being told the truth. PlusNet have raised my expectations with their huge percentages of "customer satisfaction".