cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many people have moved their e-mail away from pn?

Community Veteran

Just a quick poll.

How many PN customers have moved their e-mail away from PN due to the ongoing problems.

Maybe if pn get an idea of how many of us are moving e-mail away they may actually get on with sorting the service and getting our custom back.

I don't like having an extra bill but I do like a reliable service.

A
15 REPLIES
jrgrahamcov
Grafter

Hi,

I use webbased EMail on websites like hotmail. That way when I need to move ISP it comes with me easily and I keep the same Email address that way as well.

I am not keen on being "locked" into an ISP's Email system.
long-gone
Grafter

I use an external email provider, but PlusNet would probably like more of us to do that - they are obviously struggling to run their own email system (SPAM, email losses, delays etc.)
A lot of people use external webspace because the PN system is unreliable and PN seem to struggle with this (CGI, webstats etc.)
And their DNS servers can be a bit flakey at times, causing another struggle.
As for fitting their traffic into their capacity, well, what a struggle that is !
The only thing they don't struggle with is taking my money.
N/A

One option the poll didn't include was 'had my e-mail elsewhere before signing up'.
That was the situation for me.

Worth getting your own domain name, as some places have a block on using free/cheap mail services like Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.

At least PN doesn't force outgoing mail through their own servers, like Orange/Freeserve and AOL have done, or stop you using your own domain name in outgoing mail (like BT has done).

Of course, if there are problems with sending, it is handy to be able to use an external service. For a once-only fee of under ten pounds (US$14.95) Fastmail.net offers 'member' status and allows mail using any port (so it can be used even if the office firewall just allows web browsing on port 80).
N/A

I don't, and never have, used PN mail. Not because of problems etc, rather just because I prefer running it myself.
N/A

on traffic levels...

As for fitting their traffic into their capacity, well, what a struggle that is !

A friend downloaded about 4.5 GB on Friday and Saturday last week (new PC, catching up on some Bob Dylan Theme Time Radio Hour shows)... Family usage is usually 6-10 GB a month spread evenly, so it's going to be a bit bigger this month, but his is a PAYG (up to 15 GB) account, and works well... I guess it depends how much one 'watches' the traffic, like a kettle seems to take ages, traffic seems to be slow!
N/A

I've moved my personal e-mail account elsewhere (Gmail) but I have a general e-mail address that I use when registering with big companies (so that the piles of spam only go to that account) and I can't find anywhere to move that to. So for that account, I am, frustratingly, stuck with PlusNet. If anyone can recommend an e-mail provider (not Hotmail) that I can use for general mail, it would be much appreciated because then I would no longer have to rely on PlusNet's dire e-mail service.
N/A

Gmail?

Drop me a PM with your current email addy if you want me to send you an invite. :lol:
jimmyk
Dabbler

I run my own mail server (exim on Centos) anyway so I don't use Plusnet's mail service.
N/A

Part of what I used to value about Plus Net was the value of the overall package when the included services were taken into account. I liked being able to have everything under one roof. Broadband, email, multiple pop boxes, webspace, domain hosting... not always the cheapest, but always good value when considered as a package.

Then my webspace slowed to a crawl. Then they wiped out my CGI space. Then they lost my email. Then my broadband connection started to slow despite being on a PAYG package.

I used to be a vocal supporter of Plus Net, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone anymore. I've moved my webspace, domain hosting and email away already, and I'll be requesting my MAC code in the next few days.

Plus Net was a great ISP for a few years. It's a real shame to see how far it's fallen.
N/A

At least PN doesn't force outgoing mail through their own servers, like Orange/Freeserve and AOL have done, or stop you using your own domain name in outgoing mail (like BT has done).

Nice to know I'm not completely insane. This is the reason I left AOL a long time ago (believe it or not, their connections don't suck if you don't use their software).

I had a very strange conversation with their support after their SMTP server died. I informed them that I didn't appreciate all port 25 traffic being routed through their server as I had my own working one, they told me it wasn't. Told them I'd telneted my own server on port 25 and seen the AOL banner, as well as sniffing my own traffic, they told me that I was breaking the law. To my mind, the unannounced hijacking of traffic destined for someone else would be, if not illegal, then definately shady.

The ability to use my own SMTP server is one of the things I am grateful to PN for.
N/A

No, you're not insane Smiley I remember a newsgroup discussion years ago when I was on Freeserve, with someone convinced they had been getting their mail sent via Orange (they were separate then!) but "tonight it stopped working" and the problem was actually some Freeserve machine which was down, so instead of getting the welcome banner we were getting nothing, and the connection was timing out.

I think Clara's 10 quid a year account allows access on port 2525, but as previously mentioned, the Fastmail.net one would allow port 80, which even company firewalls should allow. (and you only pay them once to be able to use it for years Smiley )
jimmyk
Dabbler

I think Clara's 10 quid a year account allows access on port 2525, but as previously mentioned, the Fastmail.net one would allow port 80, which even company firewalls should allow. (and you only pay them once to be able to use it for years Smiley )

Depends how tight the restrictions are! On the network I run only certain servers have any external access at all, all ordinary workstations have no direct external access whatsoever and have to always go through either our company mail server or the proxy server, however we're not deceptive enough to simply redirect port 25 requests to our mail server we simply block them!
N/A

I ended up using dyndns mailhop for a while, they allow port 2525. The only server I had at the time was entirely plesk based, so setting up different ports was too much hassle.

Now I'm running completely free of control panels on my boxes, so I have more options available. Postfix with mysql is pretty good.
N/A

I've moved my email along with ISP.
That's exactly what plusnet want, people to go. Then with less people the speeds will increase.