cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How low can Plusnet go?

N/A

How low can Plusnet go?

Following the death of my Father BT decided to terminate our second line after we requested a name of the BT account be changed to my Mothers name.

The first we heard about this was Plusnet ceasing the line on 29th September with not so much as an email, yet they carried on taking the Direct Debit. You would think they would send me an email or write to me but no - NOTHING.

I rang BT and got put through to some call centre in India, the woman was very aggressive saying it was our fault - all we asked for was a name change.

I asked Plusnet if they could move the ADSL to our other line but they wanted £47+VAT. I realised this is BT's charge but with my Fathers death we really can't afford to waste £11 a month on renting a second line for internet when it is not needed. I also did not want to start a new 12 month contract that takes no account of my history with Plusnet.

Neither Plusnet nor BT communicated the ending of this service it was just cut off. I am sure that Plusnet are in breach of their own terms and conditions by not giving me notice of them ceasing the service.

My Mum is a pensioner and I was loathe to drag this out as I know it will worry and upset her. I was very angry with both BT & Plusnet and even though we will have to wait until November for Internet I decided neither company deserved my business and moved our home phone to another provider.

I think Plusnet are being really unfair, it was they who ceased service on the 29th September, but they want to charge me up to 06/11/2006. They started the notice today and are already charging me for a service that they are NOT providing.

I will be reporting them to the direct debit people for abuse of the facility. Also to the regulatory bodies that cover this service.

This is what they sent me:

Dear Mrs xxxx

We are sorry that you want to leave. Please note:

- Your account is scheduled to cancel on: 06/11/06 in line with the 30 days notice requirement.

We take your feedback very seriously, and would be grateful if you could help us to improve our

service by completing an online survey at:

http://www.plus.net/go.html/yourfeedbackmatters

Completing this survey will provide you with an opportunity to feedback on your experience with us. It will also be used to help us improve our service in the future.

Regards,
MD

I can't imagine what they want me to say in that survey.

I can't believe how despicable they are being, it is very upsetting.
28 REPLIES
N/A

How low can Plusnet go?

I can't see how Plusnet did anything wrong.

You should have confirmed what would happen to the account (ie change of name = new phone service supplied = Plusnet are told the line is being ceased = broken contract).

If BT did not tell you this then maybe you should contact them to complain. You mention your Father but then say 'my history with PN" so it sounds like you are partly responsible for the mess.
N/A

How low can Plusnet go?

It's all very well saying PN have acted correctly according to the terms and contract etc.

However, these are exceptional circumstances, where does the human element come into it??

I hope you cancelled the direct debit

I don't know who the contract is with - was is it your fathers name? There must be all sorts of implications within the estate etc.

Come on PN have a heart - how would you feel right now.
N/A

How low can Plusnet go?

I dont think PN did anything when it came to the cease of Broadband on the line if im honest.

As far as im aware when it comes to changing any details on a BT line BT completely cease the line and deactivate anything on it before being able to reactivate it with the new owners details.
If my train of thought is correct, it was down to BT that Broadband was cut off so quickly without so much as an email and not PN.

Regards,
blaze30682
Grafter

How low can Plusnet go?

tbh with all the problems resently i though plusnet couldnt get any lower, but this is disgusting.

i lost my father along time ago and i totally understand how you feel, all that plusnet and bt have done is compound and argovate the greaving process.

i hope you get thing sorted and even though i dont know u i offer my condolences.
N/A

How low can Plusnet go?

Pretty pathetic that people are using this to bash Plusnet. There is nothing in the OP's post to suggest PN could have known anything of the circumstances nor would they have known (or should have known).

I have to say I don't think the OP is being completely honest.
N/A

How low can Plusnet go?

If BT ceased the line then PN can't supply broadband as there is no connection and probably after BTw had informed that the line is ceased then PN must use an automated process. Can't see how the OP can blame PN as with no line broadband can't be supplied. The problem is down to the OP and BT.
Liam
Grafter

How low can Plusnet go?

Hi there,

We received notification from BT that they had ceased the line on the 29th of September. You had already raised a ticket with us by this point so no email was sent. We found out at the same time as you did.

When making an account change with BT, they treat it as a new line service with a new person / new address (whatever). They instigate the cease on your line and inform us when it's complete.

Unfortunately to reactivate the line requires the fee of £47 to be paid. This can be deferred on your account should you wish but this is a third party BT charge.
N/A

How low can Plusnet go?

I can't see how Plusnet did anything wrong.

You should have confirmed what would happen to the account (ie change of name = new phone service supplied = Plusnet are told the line is being ceased = broken contract).

If BT did not tell you this then maybe you should contact them to complain. You mention your Father but then say 'my history with PN" so it sounds like you are partly responsible for the mess.

What I feel that Plusnet did wrong is to keep on charging me AFTER they had terminated the service.

If you terminate SKY you stop paying from the day you cancel.

If SKY terminate your service they don't keep on charging you for a service they are not providing.

I can't think of any other business where a company can charge you for a service it is not providing.

Thank goodness someone on here told me to officially cancel because the response to the ticket suggested that the service had been terminated. Otherwise how much longer would thay have continued to charge for a service they were NOT providing?
Community Veteran

How low can Plusnet go?

The thing is Plusnet didn't terminate the service, BT did as part of the name change so PN did not know to stop charging you until BT eventually told them about the termination.
N/A

How low can Plusnet go?

Surely the DD which has been taken is for the remaining notice period?
If its for any more than a 30 day notice period, the difference can be refunded.

Alternatively, if you are going to have the new BT account activated with ADSL, and you continue to use PN as your ISP, I would think they will be happy to push your next billing date out to take into account the period without service between the cancellation you requested, and the activation of your new service.
N/A

How low can Plusnet go?

If BT ceased the line then PN can't supply broadband as there is no connection and probably after BTw had informed that the line is ceased then PN must use an automated process. Can't see how the OP can blame PN as with no line broadband can't be supplied. The problem is down to the OP and BT.

Well the line is still working so the service could still be provided if they wanted. It is strange that they can terminate a service same day on the 29th September with no notice to me but to reconnect it would take 5 days (IF I stayed with them).

It seems to me that IF Plusnet wants to hide behind it's T&C's then it's "automated process" must tell BT to wait 30 days while it gives it's customers adequate notice.

The BT line was in my father's name, the internet was in my name. All we changed was the firstname on the BT account as every letter you get is a reminder he is dead. I don't know why that should hurt but it does.

His pension died along with him so we can't afford to keep two lines or pay a £47 to transfer it, so we had to look around. We found a company that charge £20 a month for the phone, internet and calls. They do not want £47, so what are we to do? In our current financial position we have no choice.

I realise that the £47 charge is BT's and that Plusnet has to pass it on. I also accept that if BT say the line is terminated then the service has to stop too.

What I don't accept is that Plusnet seem expect me to pay for a service that they are not providing.

I feel that if they are going to act on the BT LINE TERMINATION they they ought to accept that as notice at the very least.

With no email or letter from them if I did not wander onto this forum I would not have found out that it was necessary to raise a ticket and could have been charged indefinately.

I would fight this but all that will happen is they will mess up my credit record. So whatever I do I pay. Anyway they already took the direct debit.

All I can do it warn other potential customers and write to the PC magazines, but looking at these forums they do not seem to give a damn.
N/A

How low can Plusnet go?

What I feel that Plusnet did wrong is to keep on charging me AFTER they had terminated the service.

If you terminate SKY you stop paying from the day you cancel.

If SKY terminate your service they don't keep on charging you for a service they are not providing.

Thats just the thing though. As I have mentioned above, Plusnet didnt cancel anything. As far as Plusnet are concerned you still want the service hence the carried on DD. Its BT that took away your ability to use Broadband.
So the blame for this one needs to be with BT but also yourself for not informing Plusnet early enough.
N/A

How low can Plusnet go?

The thing is Plusnet didn't terminate the service, BT did as part of the name change so PN did not know to stop charging you until BT eventually told them about the termination.

Plusnet DID terminate the service, the phone still works.

Liam confirms above they terminated on the 29th September.

They did not even send an email.

If they know to terminate the service they know to stop charging and even when I raised a ticket asking what had happened to our service they they wrote back and so they knew then too.

Am I asking too much to expect a company who provides me with a service to communicate with me especially as their action will result in me paying for a service they are not providing therafter?
N/A

How low can Plusnet go?

Thats just the thing though. As I have mentioned above, Plusnet didnt cancel anything.

WRONG, PLUSNET cancelled it, without notice to me the Phone line is working.

As far as Plusnet are concerned you still want the service hence the carried on DD.

How could they think I want a service when as far as they are concerned there is no line on which to provide it?

Its BT that took away your ability to use Broadband. So the blame for this one needs to be with BT but also yourself for not informing Plusnet early enough.

Do you work for Plusnet or do you think we should all live rigidly by terms and conditions?

Do please tell me how I can inform Plusnet "early enough" when I did not instigate the cut off and was not made aware of it until AFTER Plusnet cut the service. I am not Psychic!

As I have said, the line IS STILL CONNECTED so BT did not cut anything they just asked Plusnet to do so.

Upon receiving that Plusnet should have written to me and said "we have received this notice to cease....".

Upon making a decision to end the line (whether automated or not) they should have started a 30 day notice period.

I already stated that BT are to blame for some parts of this fiasco but Plusnet is not innocent in all this.

I did not start this mess, but I am left to clear it up, they all want money money money and none of them provide a service or even the courtesy to contact their customer.

Now they have both lost the business and any goodwill.

Having been made aware of the situation they should have done the decent thing and backdated the notice period.