cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long to wait when moving house?

N/A

08Hi,

When I moved house I had to give a date at least 5 days in the future for my connection to be moved to my new line.The 'phone line was already active when I gave that 5 day notice. Was I being too optimistic to think this would make up part of the 7-10 days wait for, err, connection?

I am on day 9 SINCE the 5 days expired. If nothing happens tomorrow, what is the next step? Perhaps I am being unreasonable but I don't understand what I am waiting for. Are there that many people moving house and broadband in my area?

I have read on here about people supplying a special code and getting their service switched over in 24 hours. Why could I not be privy to this information? Am I considered just a dumbass consumer who can't be trusted with such a complicated process?

Not a dig at PlusNet specifically, I understand this is how every provider behaves, but I would welcome an explanation.

I have chosen to post here instead of log a support ticket as I am not asking for action, just an explanation. I expect another customer could answer this for me.

Cheers,

Andrew
19 REPLIES
N/A

It could be worth a ticket!

Not so long ago, there were all sorts of problems with the house-move tool. I believe they have been fixed now, but its possible that either it hasn't been fixed, or you used it before it was fixed. (Or part of it hasn't been fixed fully etc)

Either way it looks as though you may have slipped through the net, and erhaps your move needs some manual intervention.
James
Grafter

Hi Andrew,

Apologies for the delays. BT have actually rejected the order as at some stage during the order process, you had no active contract with them. The only solution is to replace the order, which I can do on your request, but it will take another 5 working days.
N/A

I cancelled my old line and connected the new one on 31/08/06 so I am confused why they should have rejected it. They gave me an account number and I could make and receive calls. Sure that would constitute an active account?

So yes please, start my 5 days again. Will I have to wait 7-10 days after that 5 days then? Will I ever have broadband again? Who am I paying for what?

Andrew
N/A

We moved recently and apart from being given the wrong product when connected at the new house we had few problems with the move itself.

I would suggest you talk to BT's home moving people as well as just logging the move on the plus.net form. I would also suggest going through the pain of queueing to talk to a person at plus because until we'd done that it sppeared that no-one had picked up on the ticket logged on the portal (suprise suprise).

If Plus are telling you they have 'done their bit' make very sure you confirm all that with BT because we found that Plus were being....errrmmm... shall we say... less than 100% honest with us.

Of course once you have moved succesfully then you will have to fight an acion to deal with the lopusy speeds and may well lose your connection for several days and find that in fact all plus net support can do is act as an ineffective middle man garbling information between customer and BT wholesale.

Couple of other tips:

- If plus claim they are logging something to BT call them back at least twice a day until you are told that it HAS actually been logged, take a name of the agent who tells you this because it took 6 days between Plus saying they'd logged it and it actually being logged with BT in our case.

- Keep calling Plus even if it takes ages because they seem to ignore updates on their portal system and if you want them to do anything you have to treat them like naughty 5 year old kids who don't want to brush their teeth at bedtime.

I wish you all the best getting your fault resolved - we're still waiting too!
N/A

To be honest I have no problem with the people, the PN staff have been great so far, it's just that it seems absolutely nothing happens unless you ask, and if you don't know what or when to ask, nothing happens.

Frustrating.

Andrew
Mand
Grafter

Hi

@croscombe - I have submitted your new order, and raised a ticket on your account for clarity.

@thpegg - BT have replaced some faulty equipment at your exchange, and are now advising that the issue should be resolved.
N/A

Thanks.

At least I know something's happening now.

But if PN put better systems in place in the first place you wouldn't need heroes having to save the day all the time.

Next time I make any request for action I shall have to check every day on here to make sure I am up to date on what should be happening.

Considering PN is a computer related company, I would have expected you to think about IF bt cancel the order THEN we tell the customer, rather than just leave them hanging until they contact us.

Andrew
N/A

Moving wiht Plusnet doesn't work. I followed the sim order process to the letter and confirmed about 5 times with BR that their order was a sim order type.
All Plusnet said was that it wasn't a sim order type at all. I don't believe PN gave BT Wholesale anough trouble for them to check their systems properly.

So being faced with paying about £63 and several days downtime I decided to side-step more customer service issues, throttled services and disconnecting LLU by cancelling my service. Now I'll pay £43 to set up with a competitor ISP.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

I appreciate your comments, and situations like this is the exact reason that we pulled the automated house move tool until the developers have picked up all the issues.

It looks like you were halfway through the move when the automated system was removed, and so we have to clear the issues up manually unfortunately.
N/A

Mand,

We saw the note - sadly although the service cam back and we are still synching at the 8128/832 rate both your test and BT's test (and a couple of 3rd party ones) show that we are seeing less than 500kbps dl rate still.

I've updated the ticket but since you seem to have managed to get more action out of BT than all your other colleagues put togethre I would be grateful if you can make sure that the ticket is not forgotten about.

We're glad to see some connectivity again but the data speed is worse than before we raised the original fault!!
N/A

Thanks Mand, from what I have read in these forums you seem very helpful indeed to lots of people. A diamond in the rough.

However...

Now that we've cleared up that PlusNet are responsible for my lack of service, what financial compensation should I expect?

Regards,

Andrew
Mand
Grafter

Hi,

@thpegg, I'll pick this up with BT for you this morning, and let you know the outcome.

@croscombe, as soon as you are reconnected I will sort out some billing adjustments for you to cover the loss of service.
N/A

Thanks Mand, I will post here when I have service.

Regards,

Andrew
N/A

Thanks I look forward to getting some speed back.

Incidentally in the maen time we tried calloing because since the connection is back it is slower than before we reported the fault AND we are now getting ports blocked and traffic throttled - this is supposed to be a business account.

When my partner rang up she was told that your CSC agent was unable to find out what profile plus had set on the line and was not allowed to go and find out from the relevant team.

We have had to raise another ticket.

However my company's legal dept have now de3cided to take a hand. They feel that waiting over a month for a working service and not seeing any refund for even the costs of the service is awful and they have asked me to get the details of your legal representatives so they can puruse this through legal channels.

It's not ideal and I don't want to go that route as although they contribute to paying it is still my line. I felt if I gave you fair warning you could actually action these tickets, solve the issues and I can then get them to back off. I'm very angry about the shoddy responses from support (with a couple of major exceptions where people have been helpful) but I have no desire to drag Plus net into court over this if it can be avoided.

I would also prefer if your people weren't rude to my fiancee when she calls on our behalf!!