cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take for new mailboxes to become active?

N/A

I created two new mailboxes at 8.30 last night, and another one at 7.30 this morning. I've had emails to say they are active but can't logon to any of them, using either Webmail or Outlook Express. Get "Username/Password match not found, please try again" when using Webmail. I've double checked that passwords used are correct. I understand there is a delay whilst info is propagated to the email system but would have expected this to be in the order of minutes. Is anyone else seeing this? Is there a known problem?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Usually within 2 -> 4 hours but sometimes it can be longer if the script that creates them has problems.

How exactly are you trying to login to access them?

Login should be pnusername+mailboxname and password should be what you set for the mailbox.
N/A

Hi there,

Welcome to the forums.

Just to double check, I take it you are using the username+mailboxname to log in?

If so, then it would be best raising a ticket to have the mail components for your account checked / refreshed.
N/A

Yes, I'm using "cottersoak+mailboxname".
I'll raise a question
Thanks
Martin
m063
Grafter

Hi, this is Martin. I'm setting up the "cottersoak" user on behalf of a neighbour (so that was me posting above). I also tried creating a new mailbox on my own account last night, with same results (or rather, lack of). So its a general problem I think. Maybe someone else could try setting up a new mailbox also.
I'll report back when (?) I get a response to my "question" to support.
N/A

I have created a mailbox yesterday and I am having exactly the same problem.
BestPump
Grafter

Same here.

I created a new mailbox yesterday and I still couldn't login this morning. I tried changing the password and also deleted the new mailbox and tried again - same result.

I did receive the email congratulating me on setting up then new mailbox though!

Jeff
James
Grafter

Hi,

We did have a problem open on this, which should now be fixed, where mailboxes were not being created in a timely manner.
BestPump
Grafter

Well I am still unable to login to my new mailbox. I'm using Outlook Express and it keeps asking for password/user name verification (both of which are correct).

I did receive the new mailbox email notification but the mailbox is still not working.

Jeff
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I just checked the new mailbox for you and it works fine, there's one email waiting in the mailbox. Can you give it another try please. Just to note the username format for a mailbox is username+mailboxname
Stevej
Grafter

I had the same situation a couple of weeks ago.
I was trying to set up some mail boxes for a friend's account
(You know about computers don't you Wink )

I raised a ticked, and the answer that came back , after confirming twice! that I was using the correct login details was :

"Mailboxes should be setup within 15 minutes but can in some instances take up to 4 hours to be fully setup."

At the time (eventing) it was between 1 and 2 hours.

It was not clear to me why there should be such a delay, I guess the batch processing is not run that frequently!

However the real issue was the fact that it was not obvious that there could be such a delay. I was also configuring the mail client on their PC and when it could not access the acount I spent time checking the mail client, not realising the problem was that the mail lbox had not yet been created Cry

The delay maybe documented some where, but it is NOT obvious, perhaps if a notice were displayed at the time of creation of the mailbox it would have stopped some confusion for me at the time :roll:
m063
Grafter

Very odd. All are now working. Didn't up until about half an hour ago.
Looks like it took around 15 hours for the first two mailboxes to become active.
Presumably some sort of batch process here that didn't run in a timely manner, but ran over the last hour or so and made them all available?

Anyway I'll close the open ticket but maybe Dave or James could get someone to investigate the reasons for the delay as it will no doubt happen again and cause more tickets (oops questions) to be opened.

Martin
James
Grafter

Martin,

We've already done this.

- Once the problem was noticed, a member of the CSC raised a problem to Networks.
- Networks then fixed the problem.
- Smily happy faces all round.
m063
Grafter

James and Dave...thanks