cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we monitor our 10gb p2p and ftp allowance???

suec45
Grafter

10gb is a pitifully small amount dont you guys think? I have no idea out of my traffic how much is p2p or ftp etc.

Things are getting stupide now, its just one new thing after another with more limits.

Have I got this right? If I go over 10gb at peak times JUST MY P2P/FTP will be throttled until I hit 15gb where JUST MY P2P/FTP will be stopped altogther?

The rest of my connection will be as normal?

Will I get a letter/email when I hit 10gb?

This is just getting too complicated, why not leave it at the 30gb peak time? That was much more sensible.
5 REPLIES
ceridwen
Grafter

Not quite.

at 10Gb other (non p2p/usernet/ftp), get throttled to 2Mb (which will only affect you if/when you get MaxDSL). At 12Gb (or thereabouts) you other traffic gets throttled to 1Mbit, and at 15Gb to 512Kb (at peak times).

Matthew
N/A

The current VMBU monitoring tools are flawed in this respect (and a few others). The new tools will allow you to see your usage broken down by traffic type and are a huge step in the right direction. They could be better though, with more information about the signatures used, so we are not blind to what forms of traffic ae categorised as what.
N/A

Although I welcome the new VMBU with open arms I see it making little difference tbh.
Once you hit 10GB ( be this via P2P or USENET or FTP or http or pop3 etc etc ) you will start seeing slow downs. The new limits are for all protocols regardless of what you are doing or why.

So theoretically speaking there is no use or need for the new vmbu as it would prove useless.

Regards,
N/A

The different protocols are slowed down at different rates though I believe. So while you will see P2P/Usenet/FTP slow down rapidly and come to a complete stand-still, web/mail/streaming should not slow down as rapidly and will never go below 512kbps. So there is still some use, just not quite as much as if it had been introduced when it should have been (i.e. when the limits based on this usage were introduced).
N/A

Although I welcome the new VMBU with open arms I see it making little difference tbh.
Once you hit 10GB ( be this via P2P or USENET or FTP or http or pop3 etc etc ) you will start seeing slow downs. The new limits are for all protocols regardless of what you are doing or why.

So theoretically speaking there is no use or need for the new vmbu as it would prove useless.

Regards,

That's a good point actually.

We don't need it traffic broken down into different types after the product refresh. We've needed it ever since they announced the P2P/FTP/Usenet allowance.