Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do they do it?

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

How do they do it?

Not that I'm in any hurry for MAXDSL but how on earth has ZEN managed to get customers switched over so quickly? On various forums there are post from people saying they were informed they were to be upgraded and the next day it was completed.

On F2S forums people have been given update dates of just a few days yet PlusNet can give no idea how long regrades are going to take. Do these ISP's have a better deal with BTw than PlusNet or are they more on the ball? We saw the same thing with the 2 meg upgrades as I recall.
24 REPLIES
N/A

How do they do it?

I suspect its Customer Support and caring about them as people. PN take note :?
James
Grafter

How do they do it?

Probably down to the fact that the upgrades are not being done automatically, and are requested individually by the customers.

They're not upgrading an entire ISP!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: How do they do it?

but how on earth has ZEN managed to get customers switched over so quickly?

Zen 8000 Active and Zen 8000 Pro are new products - existing customers have to request a (free) transfer. However as the 8MB products have usage allowances and the old products have no allowances, it may be that not many are voluntarily choosing to be limited.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

How do they do it?

The Zen limit is huge and you can buy more if you want it, that's where I'm off as soon as I can cancel my bloomin Plus Net account.

These useless bastards won't even respond to the ticket system.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

How do they do it?

The Zen limit is huge

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Zen 8000 Active - £24.99
Zen 8000 Active delivers high quality, affordable broadband now with download speeds of up to 8Mbps*. A generous download usage allowance of 20GB, and the option to purchase extra GB at any time

Zen 8000 Pro - £34.99
Zen 8000 Pro brings high speed connectivity and absolute reliability of service to your home or home office. With speeds of up to 8Mbps* and a massive 50GB download usage allowance,
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

How do they do it?

That's generous--- NOT ---- I could have an extra 5GB for an extra £3 (but hard to compare as my 15GB is only during peak time)...

Given PN's SUP is around 100GB (15GB at peak) I have some issues with the word generous in connection with Zen's limits Wink
N/A

How do they do it?

Plus Net

£22 Broadband PREMIER 15GB Usage (peak time)
(No customer service response)

£15 PAYG 1GB Usage

£15 PLUS 3GB Usage

or I think there's a £29 quid one that does 22GB?

ISP Review (A site for customers to review ISP's and grade them from 0-10)

TOP 10
----------
SurfAnyTime - 9.64
Euro1Net - 9.57
Zen Internet - 9.32
FireFly - 9.01
Nildram - 8.68
Lixxus - 8.55
Naims - 8.54
Firenet - 8.33
Eclipse Internet - 8.33
ICUK - 8.21

Plus Net (Not in the top ten 'cos it's crap) scores:-
Services (4.60)
Support (5.0Cool
Speed (4.4Cool
Cost (5.69)

A 5.08 for support seems astonishingly generous.
N/A

How do they do it?

Solstans,

Just to correct you, there are NO SET limits in off peak. This off course is not to say that there isnt any sort of warning ceiling but I think it is one that not only monitors your off peak usage but also the frequency of it occuring.

All in all the only thing that bothers me sometimes is the management and whether or not it is functioning to its best ability. Then again I am no pro in the field of setting up ellacoyas and so cant comment too much lol.
N/A

How do they do it?

No, but complaining to the forums seems to be the trick to getting your tickets looked at.

I'm now informed that the 1 month contract is actually a 1 year one, so I might be stuck with this rubbish for longer than I thought.
N/A

How do they do it?

I'm sure somewhere there has been mention of around 100Gb as being an acceptable upper limit - now to find it... a task for when I'm back home as my works net access is slower than my 2mb adsl Sad (All the annoying B's using it for work)
N/A

How do they do it?

He he,

I know it was mentioned but it wasnt hard set. Anyway, the point I was trying to make was the fact there is no definate limit for off peak ( advertised ) and you would have the system manage it all out evenly anyway.
Community Veteran

How do they do it?

@ solstans

The off peak limit -as described in one of Ian Wilds posts- is that 100GB is a good figure to work to, and PN would be happy to retain customers downloading these kind of figures.

My take on it is that if you occasionally find you have a very heavy month, and you need to use in excess of 100GB, then unlike previously, all should be fine and dandy!

I reckon it's just if you are constantly going way over the 100GB point, you would probably be asked to upgrade to a more suitable product or search out another provider.
N/A

How do they do it?

Although if you're foolish enough to go with an annual contract, they can do what the hell they like with throttling, since you're unlikely to renew after one year any way and can't get out of the year without paying a small fortune when you find out that it's a load of carp (an' I don't mean fish).
N/A

How do they do it?

So what happens after your year contract is up...does it goto another year contract or can you xxxxxxxx

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Avoidance of swear filter removed.