cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do i downgrade my broadband?

greenpoole

I am currently on Premier Option 1 and after looking at how much I actually use broadband these days and looking at how much it is costing me, I am wanting to change package to the new option 2.

I have been following numerous links on this site to try and do this but all I can find is options to upgrade to phone products. Can anyone please explain how I change product or can link me to the required page?

Thanks.
11 REPLIES
mar7t1n
Grafter

It's in the My Account - Connection Settings from the left hand menu while in the Memeber Centre tab.

Or link here https://portal.f9.net.uk/upgrade_process.html

You must now choose from one of the new broadband my way options. The old packages are no longer available. I swapped and moved from 2Gb to 8Gb included with no difference in service to me, but you should note that traffic shaping is applied to BBMY which if all you do is play online games could affect you.
ed
Grafter

Can anyone suggest what option is best for me?

I'm currently on old Option 1 (2mbps down 256k up)

I run a small online game sever and upstream speed is important to me as well as packet priority.

So I was thinking of transfering to Small Business, it seems to be a similar price but doesn't say what the bandwidth usage limits are. Reading between the lines it's pay as you go? The Business option at £35pm isn't but again no usage indication.

Does anyone know if this is a better option?

How good are F9 at changing packages over?

I don't want any disruption or loss of my fixed IP address
greenpoole

Thanks for the reply mar7t1n. Unfortunately that link brings up the page that just offers me phone upgrades, nothing on there about changing my stand alone broadband product.

Any ideas?
mcgurka
Grafter

Hi there, I moved from home to business, and all of my settings were kept.

The traffic management takes effect instantly, whereas the line speed change takes 24 hours, but it is done with no disruption.

Business BB, at the moment, is uncapped as far as I know, and I get great performance from my connection..

Just make sure to explicity state that you want your IP addresses kept!

Scott
ed
Grafter

Just to clarify, you are on the Business 34.99 option? or the small business 19.99 option?

I'd realy like it, just better not tell the wife 34.99 x 12 = £420py :twisted:
mcgurka
Grafter

well, yeah, I am at the moment.

Even the lower business packages still have priority service on the network, only real difference is that they are only 448k upstream, as apposed to 844k, and the price of course!

I reckon its around 40K/bytes sec or 80K/bytes sec for the two.

Failing that, you could look at VPS servers, they are resonably cheap at the moment? If you want to go down that route, then I know a few companies who I have used in the past and are very good!
mar7t1n
Grafter

@greenpoole

Sounds like problem with the F9 site. I suggest you raise an online helpdesk ticket and the support team will get you running in no time.

@thomassoft

There is no significant loss of service in change products of this nature. You need to know how much data transfer you really make a month both up and downstream. Then you can choose the best package for your needs. Watch the traffic shaping rules on the new products if your running a games server.

The speed change needs to be applied by BT. You'll be moving from 2Mb old ADSL to new up to 8Mb Max ADSL. The change is just a matter of moving wires in the exchange. So a small loss of service, usually in the early hours. But depending how far you are from the exchange people have complained about line instability on max. Lots of complaints because people dont understand how it works and why it does what it does.
mcgurka
Grafter

Yes, I agree. Data transfer is very much the one to watch. Thats all it really depends on to be fair, which game server do you run and how many users are usually on it?

and yes, there is a lot of confusion about maxdsl, thankfully, I worked for BT, and had it drummed into me how it worked... and they made sure we wouldnt forget it!
ed
Grafter

I'm less than 1/2 mile from my exchange so Max distance issues shouldn't be a problem.

I currently do about 20Gb per month which is at the limits of my option 1 account.

The game is my own, I don't think my packets are recognised as game traffic (maybe I should high jack a popular port number so it is Tongue) so I was hoping business prioritied everything. it's only £5 more than the 40Gb home option and has fast upsteam so it's a no brainer realy.
mcgurka
Grafter

business *does* indeed prioritise everything on the network.

**Copied from sales blurb**

Network Traffic Management
Business customers get the highest priority service on our network at all times

http://www.f9.net.uk/business/broadband/business.shtml?link=bus_business (click on product usage)

You should receieve priority service at 8Meg then, given that you are only a 1/2 mile away. Should get a rock solid line too... wish I lived near my exchange!
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 43

… Unfortunately that link brings up the page that just offers me phone upgrades, nothing on there about changing my stand alone broadband product.

Any ideas?

When I click on the link (I'm on PAYG) I get four options,
- Change your data transfer
- Change your broadband product
- Add a broadband phone product
- Add a home phone product

The second one (link) takes me into selecting from one of the four BBYW options. Does that help?

David
David