cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I go about leaving

N/A

I've had enough. I get constant disconnections and at times it feels like I'm back on a 56k modem. I'm paying the same amount i was three years ago but getting half the service.

Is it possible to leave and keep my email address? What is the best procedure when it comes to switching. how do I obtain my mac address?
thanks
Owen
14 REPLIES
N/A

First, raise a ticket (ask a question - via the Help and Support Tab above.) requesting your MAC code. PN will reply telling you any fee's due to terminate your contract - once these fee's are paid, they'll usually issue a MAC within 7 Days.

Re: Your email address, once you leave, your account will be downgraded to a dial-up account, and as long as you continue to collect your mail, it will remain active indefinately.
N/A

Call customer services to get you MAC address, you won't be able to keep the email address.

Once you have your MAC address sign up with an alternate provider.

Be aware that if you signed up for the phone service it may be more complex, but check that with customer services when you eventually get through.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

You can't cancel on the phone, only online. This is so there is a definite record of what you have requested. As James said you can keep your email address, though I'd recommend specifically stating this when you ask for your MAC, just to be certain that they do downgrade your account rather than cancel it.

Phil
N/A

Oops, sorry for the duff info seems I was wrong on all accounts :?

I went using my previous experience leaving pipex and figured it would be the same...
AndyMan
Grafter

I recently cancelled and then asked here about keeping the email addy .. I was told to request a downgrade to PAYG dialup to keep my email addy. I did this and my ticket was ammended by PN from cancellation to downgrade , so I would definately ask for the downgrade to make sure you keep your email ...
N/A

You can keep the email address as long as you remain a dial up customer. This means that you have to "dial" in and collect your mail once in a while, I think it is monthly.

Note that you will lose posting access to this forum.

I fully undertstand your position and am in the process of signing up on my second line with Talk Talk who do a phone, line rental and basic broadbamd for £20.99 Once than works I will use it until I can get this line upgraded with a decent ISP.
N/A

Thanks for all the replies. One more question, if I keep my email adress as a dial up, can i check it whilst connected to another ISP?
N/A

Yes, you can continue to collect/retrieve mail in exactly the same way, the only thing you'll need to change is the outgoing server if you use a mail client.
For example if you went to NTL, you would leave all other mail settings the same, but change the outgoing server to relay.ntl.com (or whatever it is - your new ISP will provide details of the correct relay server to use)
If you use webmail, you'll be able to continue in exactly the same manner as now.
N/A

Re: How do I go about leaving

I've had enough. I get constant disconnections and at times it feels like I'm back on a 56k modem. I'm paying the same amount i was three years ago but getting half the service.

Is it possible to leave and keep my email address? What is the best procedure when it comes to switching. how do I obtain my mac address?
thanks
Owen

Hi Owen, without wanting to sound pedantic, but have you looked into all possible reasons for the problems?

What I mean is, have you tested everything you can at your end and then raised the issue in a ticket with Plusnet?
Are you on LLU or Max?

Regards,
N/A

Yes I have looked into it. PlusNet asked me to run BT speedtests, which I did. following this they maintained that I hadn't run any when in fact I'd run five. I have no idea whether I'm on LLU or MAX but I'm pretty far from the exchange so I guess I'm on neither. Maybe plusnet could actually tell me for a change?

It's not just the slow speeds and constant disconnections. It's the terrible customer service and draconian traffic shaping.

regards

Owen
N/A

Hi Owen,

If you received a response like that then yes I see why you are upset. Personally I normally cut and paste the words from the speed test into a text file along with all other evidence and attach it as an attachment on the ticket.

As for the traffic management I can assure you that other ISP's also use it. Just yesterday I found out from a contact of mine that he is rate limited to just 2mb during the day and is only given 6mb off peak at night. Understandably the method chosen by an ISP may or will not suit all those affected, but the matter remains that every ISP has measures in place.

If you want to check for max or LLU the only thing I can suggest is looking at your sync speeds.

you ought to be able to get 448 upstream even from some distance ( or so I would have thought ). If your modem or router is synching at this speed then id say MAX is what you have. If however it is synching at around the double mark then i would say LLU.

These would be my methods and in my eyes the easiest and quickest way to tell.

Regards,
N/A

DownStream Connection Speed 576 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 288 kbps

I guess I'm on neither. TBH the P2P throttling has just gotten beyond now. I'm getting no traffic through at all.
N/A

It has been reported in other threads that others are suffering the same affect. But by implementing an encrypted connection they have bypassed it and there is some movement.

Have you tried this at all?

Regards
Joe_Scaramanga
Grafter

On the subject of leaving, I recently found a page on the website that tells you what charges you are liable for if you leave (updated according to the date), but I can't find it now...

Can anyone give me a nudge?