cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I find out wether I am on ADSL max or not?

tonka
Grafter

not sure whats going on like a lot of people but my line speed has changed it says im on 256.0 kbps which can change from day to day and when you hover the mouse over the modem icon it says tx:544 kbps and rx 256kbps anyone shed any light on this,o and by the way i was on 512 before this started and it seems to be a lot slower,not had any emails off plus net either to tell me its going ahead.cheers in advance.
12 REPLIES
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Well, the first thing to do is find out how to look at the line stats for you modem. The usual give away sign is that your upsteam sync'd datarate.

If you don't know how to do this, if you give the make and model of your modem, someone on the form might be able to point you in the right direction.

If the tx rate is your upsteam figure, I'd say that you've been LLU'd, unless you're on a business account, which could be MaxDSL.

Neil
tonka
Grafter

just done a independant speed test and it shows downstream 213.7 kbps and upstream is 454.7 kbps can also get figures off my modem if needed.
N/A

At a guess with that kind of upstream rate I'd say you'd been LLU'd rather than MAXed.

Plusnet normally send you an email to tell you if you've been MAXed, I believe.
tonka
Grafter

can you tell me the difference between LLU'd and MAXed please?
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

LLU = Local Loop Unbundling, basically using some other than BT's equipment in your local exchange. In PlusNet's case this is Tiscalli's equipment. Typically uses ADSL2, so is faster than MaxDSL (when it works OK)

MaxDSL = BT equipment extracting the MAx performance out of ADSL (again, when it works OK ;-) )

Neil
tonka
Grafter

cheers for that neil,so im better off on LLU it seems so how come it feels a lot slower?this kbps what does it convert to in meg as i was on 512?
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

LLU has the potential to offer higher performance, especially upstream, but many PlusNet customers are experiencing a variety of problems.

Search for LLU and/or Tiscali on the forums for more info.

Neil
N/A

For clarification, the upstream sync speeds for the different products are:

448 on MaxDSL,
832 on MaxDSL Premium.

800 on Tiscali LLU.

So if the speedtester is reporting 454.7 upstream, it could mean the OP is on any of the three products!

Either the OP is on a Max Premier product or LLU with a slow speed being attained, or the speedtester used has overreported the US figure.
Inaccuracy in speedtesters can depend on a multitude of factors, although in this case it looks likely that the speedtester has added an arbitrary amount for US overhead, which has taken the reported speed above the sync speed.

In any case, speedtester results are inconclusive for figuring out anything, other than that you are no longer on a fixed speed product.

The conclusive way to ascertain which product is provided to any EU is to check the Sync figures on the router/modem in use. The figure should always match one of the three figures above.

Alternatively one of the cheery chappies in the comms team may check and post to let you know. (And chappesses Wink )
dennisb66
Grafter

line stats

I have a Cable & Wireless 11g wireless ADSL Router,can anyone explain how i can obtain my line stats. Shockedops: Thanks for any replies.
Mand
Grafter

Hi

You're on LLU, as per the email sent to you on July 24th. If it still seems slow, if you run a few speedtests on our portal and put them in a ticket we will look into this further for you.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

For clarification, the upstream sync speeds for the different products are:

448 on MaxDSL,
832 on MaxDSL Premium.

800 on Tiscali LLU.

So if the speedtester is reporting 454.7 upstream, it could mean the OP is on any of the three products!

The OP said that it was reporting 544 TX (very first post), which is impressive if it's MaxDSL ;-)

Neil
N/A

Furry Nuff Shockedops: