cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How dare they!!! I'm on peak time management!

N/A

I just got the dreaded email Cry

Now, all arguments about SUP aside I think this is a disgraceful act by Plusnet! Evil Partly because I've barely used my connection THIS YEAR as I've been in America for eight months of it, but mainly because...

...my migration has already happened and Plus are no longer my ISP :lol: I wonder what UKOnline will think if Plus try and impose restrictions on me?

Aaaanyway... I posted last week about terrible speeds during peak hours and Plus said it was a problem with my exchange, not down to their traffic shaping. Well, it's funny that, cos I'm still on the same exchange and last night during peak hours I was getting 890KB/sec compared to Plus's 25KB/sec. Don't really care what caused it anymore, but it seems Easynet can get fantastic speeds out of my exchange while Plusnet's are a joke.

Glad to be out of it.
15 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

With regards to the email you were sent, the data set was prepared yesterday so if your migration has only just completed today you would have still been included in the data. As you have migrated out, you clearly won't be affected by this email and you can safely disregard it.
rspurgeon
Grafter

Hi,

Its a bit unfair to blame Plusnet for any speed problems due to BT's hardware at your exchange. You may be getting excellent speeds on Easynet's network (lucky you Cheesy) but they own their own equipment and the connection never touches BT's ATM network.

Hope you enjoy your new ISP!

Kind Regards,

Richard Spurgeon
Wheelie
Grafter

Aaaanyway... I posted last week about terrible speeds during peak hours and Plus said it was a problem with my exchange, not down to their traffic shaping. Well, it's funny that, cos I'm still on the same exchange and last night during peak hours I was getting 890KB/sec compared to Plus's 25KB/sec. Don't really care what caused it anymore, but it seems Easynet can get fantastic speeds out of my exchange while Plusnet's are a joke.

Sorry but I think the joke is on you since Easynet are an LLU operator :lol:
Bizlat
Grafter

N/A

Easynet and ukonline is one of the same I believe...

Easynet handles the networks etc, ukonline is the ISP ... could be wrong though
Firejack
Grafter

UK Online aren't that great from what friends have told me. The restrictions they place on your account are very inconvenient. They include not being allowed to run certain services on your home machine, like a web or mail server. :roll:
N/A

Sorry but I think the joke is on you since Easynet are an LLU operator :lol:

If the joke is on me downloading at 900KB/sec at any time of the day for an extra seven pounds then oooh, I'm crushed :lol:

I really don't care whose fault it was that I was getting appalling speeds when I was on Plusnet - it's totally fair to blame them. THEY were my ISP. They were still happy to take my money. I'm expected to roll my eyes and say 'poor old Plus - nasty, nasty BT!' while they continued to drain my bank account every month? Anyway, I don't buy it for a second that it wasn't the effects of traffic shaping, but I don't need to worry about that anymore...

As for UKOnline not allowing you to run a webserver or mail server on their lines - where's the shrug shoulders emoticon? Never have, never wanted to, never will. Anyway, Plusmet barely let me use their line for ANYTHING between 5pm and midnight :lol:

Anyway, last post from me here... Seeyers Smiley
N/A

Hi,
Its a bit unfair to blame Plusnet for any speed problems due to BT's hardware at your exchange. You may be getting excellent speeds on Easynet's network (lucky you Cheesy) but they own their own equipment and the connection never touches BT's ATM network.

This is the very reason my next ISP* will be LLU based.

I'm tired of hearing "the problem is with BT" as an acceptable reason for problems**. I pay PLUSNET month in month out for ADSL, not BT. You are my supplier. My problems are YOUR responsability.

If my problems are caused bt BT it is YOUR responsability (in my eyes) to sort it as BT are YOUR supplier, not MINE. Any service level contract that exists regarding the ATM network is between PLUSNET and BT - not me and BT.

* the switch to my next ISP, who-ever they may be, will most likely be early next year unless current issues persist in which case it could be next week

** PlusNet are not the only ones who this applies to, I hasten to add.
N/A

Hi spillet,
You may want to stick around for a while longer if you are planning on picking a LLU based ISP, as plusnet have partnered with EasyNet for just that reason.

PlusNet's anouncement can be read here and another news story can be read here
N/A

ooo yay! plusnet go LLU -- reallyHuh and when do we expect the prices to be announced and oh wait will they then back track on all of them and totaly change their minds.. yes.. will they start selling services that they are going to "offer" and then change the ToCs with no warning AFTER people paid.. yes.. so yea on track record, all things PlusNet do should be taken with a pinch of salt for at least two months AFTER they have actualy done it, nothing said BEFORE this should be taken in at all as it WILL change.
rspurgeon
Grafter

Hi spillet,
You may want to stick around for a while longer if you are planning on picking a LLU based ISP, as plusnet have partnered with EasyNet for just that reason.

:shock: Skynet you meanHuh
N/A

Skynet indeed as I have heard Sky are buying (or have already bought) EasyNet. That should be hot competition for BT Cheesy

It's true what they say, fiction does become reality, eventually. Skynet was first mentioned in the Terminator films, right? Wink
N/A

Hi spillet,

No offense, but due to the connections problems I've had recently (please note that my most recent posting here asking if there are further diagnostics I can do from here has seen no reples as yet) I'm more likely to switch providers (though I'm waiting for the early upgraders to give feedback on the different ISPs before making a final descision there...).

With PN+EN there will still be the "middle man" issue that exists with PN+BT.

I had some hassle moving from PlusNet/DialUp to PlusNet/ADSL, so I doubt moving to ADSL2 with a new provider will be any harder than moving to ADSL2 wit PN...
Wheelie
Grafter

@stevemcnally

I wasn't have a dig at you I was only saying that you cannot compare the two since LLU and IPStream are governed by different rules, regardless what Plusnet do to your connection there are no IPStream ISP's that can compete with up-to 8MB or faster at the moment.