cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i tell if my line can support 4mb+?

N/A

Subject sez it all really, any help appreciated.
23 REPLIES
ddunford
Grafter

Hi there,

You can use our online checker - http://www.plus.net/exchangechecker/index.php

Or BT's - http://www.bt.com/broadband

For LLU Suppliers i would suggest visiting http://www.samknows.com

Hope this helps.
Community Veteran

However, none of those actually knows your line condition, they can only make a guess based on the BT database, which is often wrong.

As with the existing speeds, it is your line attenuation and SNR figures that will ultimately determin what speed you will get.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If you know your line stats then this can make an estimate of what line speed your line will support

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm
N/A

According to that, I can get 8Mb.
According to Sam & BT I can't even get 2Mb, which I've already got and it works well. Which one do I believe ?
lank111
Grafter

At the moment ADSL MAX is not nationwide so samknows and BT tests say your line can only get support 1Mbit due to the ADSL reach factor, The other one, will estimate your line stats to a max speed!

E.g From my stats, my line support 1Mbit (att 56db SNR 19db), but my guesstimnate was 3.5Mbit for ADSL MAX!

Roll on ADSL MAX!
Stu

Hi,

If you know your line stats then this can make an estimate of what line speed your line will support

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

Interesting.

I have a 1mb connection on the up to 2Mb rate.

According to that I should be able to get 4mb.

Does this mean I should actually be getting 2Mb and not the 1Mb I am currently?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

It depends really. At the moment BT determine a lines suitability based on the attenuation level. If this is 43dB or more then it won't get 2Mbps because that's the cut off point they use because of the high number of intermittant faults they saw last year with high attenuation figures. However, if the SNR figure is high enough 2Mbps or more still may work fine on that line, it's just BT don't take that into consideration at the moment. DSL Max will take into account all the factors in deciding the line speed rather than just the attenuation figure.
Stu

Thanks for that.

Attenuation is indeed above 43.

Best wait for MaxDSL then.
___oDiN__
Grafter

ADSL Line Capability Calculator
A crude estimate of what your line is capable of is 8192kbps (kilo bits per second).

This figure is based largely on your current Signal to Noise ratio, and current line speed. The results you may obtain in practice are likely to vary, and thus this figure should only be used to estimate your lines capability

yay
just gotta wait for BT to get to this backwater town (scarborough)and upgrade my exchange...we only just got electricity here.....
:roll:
N/A

surly as maxDSL uses the same technology as ADSL at the moment, then if you can only get 1mb/s at the moment (cos your line is too far from the exchange to get any better connection that is stable) then with maxDSL you will only get 1mb/s or .. at most 1.5mb/s, or does maxDSL magicaly improve your connection details?
shellsong
Grafter

MaxDSL automagically adjusts yer actual connection speed in 0.5Mbps increments for a SNR of about 5 or 6 as I have been lead to believe Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

DSLMax uses the same technology to deliver ADSL, so if a line won't support 2Mbps without DSLMax full stop then it won't support 2Mbps with DSLMax. It doesn't do anything to extend the reach of ADSL and make bad lines better.

What it does though is where a line has been rejected for say 2Mbps because BT think it won't support 2Mbps (because the attenuation is 43dB or higher for example) then it will allow the line to sync at the maximum it can support. So if the SNR is suffiently high the line may work at 2Mbps, it may work faster, or it might only do 1.5Mbps, but it gives every line the chance to sync up at the fastest it can (rounded down for stability, max sync speed up to 8Mbps).

As suggested this gives those people whose lines have been rejected for 1 or 2Mbps the possibility of a speed boost if the rejection was done in error. And for some people who now have intermittant connections may mean that the line will sync a little lower but the connection will be more stable.
lank111
Grafter

So My line speed now is 1Mbps,
Att 56 db ish
SNR 19 db ish

i know the att is 11db out for 2Mbit but a guesstimate is 3.5Mbps
So if this is a guess, ruffly, it will be 1.5Mbps - 2Mbps on a 8mbps service!
N/A

How do you find your SNR and attenuation?

I have a speedtouch modem.

Thanks.