cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are people coping with 10gb peak monthly bandwidth??

N/A

Prem Option 1 users...

Well, Ive already hit mine.. and Ive still got 10 days of the month left.. I thought I had been really careful, but the extra speed just means you dont really notice the odd 100mb file that is downloaded.....

To be honest.. the extra speed has just made me download more, albeit out of peak hours... my useage is triple what each of my past 3 months have been. Whereas before, I just wouldnt bother with large files on a 2mb connection, and never left my computer on overnight.... now that I have to, I find allsorts to add to the queue, whereas before I wouldnt have bothered, and would get them from work.

I dont really like having to wait 16+ hrs for a downlaod... which is what you have to do,by starting it off after midnight, then waiting til you get home from work... but I suppose you just have to change your useage patterns. But I am finding it a bit of a struggle keeping within the 10gb peak useage...

Anyone else strugglingHuh?
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I havent had the max upgrade yet, and being a long line, I dont expect it will make that much difference anyway.

But,

When I went from 512k to 1mb, I too initially downloaded more, just because it was easier to surf and browse large files (HD film trailers etc).

But now its back to normal, if not a lot less than before.

For myself an 8mb connection would be fantastic, but I reckon after the first month or so, my usage would slip back to what it is now after the "novelty" wears off.

I would imagine that will be the same for everyone. The initial speed is amazing, and will be used for much more traffic than previous months, but after a while, the extra speed will simply be a "convieniance" rather than a neccessity.

Until of course newer content starts to become the fashion of the day - like streaming bbc or "watch again" services etc? Once those days arrive then things will have to change, and unfortunatley it will be a case of trying to get the archaeic BT to change their ways.
N/A

My billing date is tommorrow so I will be changed to the 4.00pm to midnight Premier 1 allowances. It looks as if I will go over my 10M but less than my 15M each month so if I understand it, browsing and email wont be affected but ftp and p2p might well be curtailed. At present I dont think this will bother me much. Thing is my usage does have an element of my children on MSN and with 2 other networked computers here this can take up quite a bit of allowance. My ftp and p2p use is not much, in fact most ftp is to my web space so any transfer taking a month of fortnights does not both me.
Just one question however. If I repeatedly go above 10M but less than 15M from 4.00pm to midnight will PlusNet get insistant that I change products?
N/A

I was on the Prem option 1 a few days back and never really reached the 10gb peak usuage. However just incase I switched to Prem option 2.

I make a habit of scheduling large downlaods (200mb up) for offpeak.
Ive even banned my girlfriend d/l large files until offpeak aswell Tongue

I know alot of ppl have problems with offpeak, we gotta sleep etc, but its really not that much of an inconvience. No fixed figure Offpeak is more than most IPS's offer you.
N/A

Hi tom, can i ask if you are on maxdsl?....please
Braith
Grafter

Just one question however. If I repeatedly go above 10M but less than 15M from 4.00pm to midnight will PlusNet get insistant that I change products?

I shouldn't think so. Just as long as someone doesn't exceed their monthly peaktime SUP on their product on a regular basis (30 GB Premier 1) there should not be a problem.
N/A

Personally I have no life, so im either at work or sat at home at the pc.

My off-peak usage is currently 44Gb and Peak 3.21Gb with 10 days to go before my billing date.

I was looking to up my usage at peak time because im well over 1/2 way through the month and technically ive still got another 25Gb to use before the ultimate slapped wrists.
N/A

I've got about 17 days to go until my usage is reset, I've downloaded ..

Peak = 196mb
Off-Peak = 9.1Gb

So on average I'm using around 17mb a day during peak time.
N/A

I had no idea there was such a limit or what that limit really means until i had crossed the limit and Plus e-mailed me to let me know but everything should reset in the next day or two anyway.
willhome
Grafter

i dont find it that hard. i had last couple months before it at 9.7gb 10.3gb and 9.4gb

now the 10gb limit is in shouldnt be that much different apart from odd file offpeak instead to just make sure.

thought im still waiting for my product change :twisted: so i dont really need to keep in 10gb limit this month but i am trying to get use to it atleast
JonathanW
Grafter

I think its something that everyone does, the novelty of having a faster connection leads to more downloads simply because its possible to download them faster. I know that certainly happened to me, when I initially got broadband after those long years on dialup, and again recently after an upgrade to 4mb.

But on average, the majority of people don't download that much in total. As an example, take a look at the usage figures for March that the PUG have recently published. They do show the total usage, rather than just peak usage, but you can see what on Premier the majority of customers don't use that much.

At the end of the day it does all come down to personal choice, if you're happy working with the usage policy that we've got in place then that's fine, but if you're not then that's also fine, but we're not going to be the ISP for you.
N/A

At the end of the day it does all come down to personal choice, if you're happy working with the usage policy that we've got in place then that's fine, but if you're not then that's also fine, but we're not going to be the ISP for you.

I know you're no longer the ISP for me, you know that... now only if you'd let me leave...
N/A

I know you're no longer the ISP for me, you know that... now only if you'd let me leave...

Lets not turn this into a Plusnet bashing thread. Thers already plenty of those.
N/A

Lets not turn this into a Plusnet bashing thread. Thers already plenty of those.

Ok. If we want to be specific...

My current usage this month 4pm till midnight on the 'old' premier is 14.6GB. I have 3 days till my billing date, and will easily hit 17gb or so.

Like I said, not the ISP for me anymore.