cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How am I supposed to know I've gone over 30gb in peak times

mrcook
Grafter

I've had a ticket open with this question as I am being restricted but +net can give me no answer.

I have looked at my usage and I have not gone over 100gb in any month yet got the +net FUP message, how am I supposed to know if I have gone over 30gb in peak times if +net do not provide the information to me?

How can you break the law if the law is unclear.

Has anyone looked into a breach of contract on the part of +net, I would be willing to set up an action group and take legal advice on taking action against +net as I believe they have no legal grounds for this.

I've asked for my MAC as they cannot give me an answer and now they are giving me an even poorer service.
42 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

Unfortunately for you and I'm sure alot of other users you've fallen into the loophole where +net didn't account for developing the VMBU tool properly, before announcing the SUP. They can't defend the undefensible. The only honourable thing they should and could do, would be to lift the throttling on your account. Unless they can provide proof to say otherwise!

Totally agree though, it does seem to be illegal in what they are doing. Or at least breaks your contract's T&Cs.

Getting your MAC is probably the best thing to do.
N/A

This situation is completely unacceptable and needs to be sorted out. It's bad enough that they launched these limits and sent out warnings based on them before announcing what the limits were, but it's even worse that those who have been "warned" one month cannot check how close they are to the limit in the next month.
mrcook
Grafter

Every time I raise a ticket they just close it, I've asked for proof that I've exceeded the limit and +net have provided none, I have asked how I can see my peak time usage and again I cannot, they suggested using netlimiter to restrict in peak time but even if I did who's to say who is right and who is wrong.

Until FUP happened plusnet were fine but this shows how inefficient and unprofessional they are to a loyal customer of 3 1/2 years.

I challenge you plusnet show all the users who have exceeded the 30gb peak time limit the proof.
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

I've just added some comments onto your ticket. The main point of which is to state that we are working on a new version of VMBU that will allow people to check their usage during the peak hours, so that they know how much they are downloading. Though for the time being, the only real way to do this is to use third party software to check for yourself.
N/A

As you can see I have been with PN for some time and that I don’t post very often. I do however visit the forums every day and read what is going on but don’t post, as most of the things I would have posted have already been said (I try to stay away from repeating things that have already been said). Now I feel the urge to speak my mind as from what I have been reading recently I feel the PN are really starting to extract the urine. How any ISP can penalise one/some of its customers for exceeding limits, when they don’t have any means for the said customer to check or keep tabs on what, or how much BW they are using goes beyond me. Then they tell you that the only way to check this is to get some third party software, install it and do it your selfHuh. I mean c’mon there’s a lot of ppl out there who only know how to surf the net, game, do word docs and DL, and are then expected to monitor their peak usage themselves. A wee phrase springs to mind here “wake up and smell the coffee” your living in dream land if you expect all your customers to know where to get these 3rd party applications and then expect them to know how to use them. :?

IMO there should be no SUP/PTM until the proper methods of monitoring this are in place and working to a satisfactory level. It’s just not fair on the users who don’t understand and or are unaware of the penalties of DLing over their allocated BW per month or peak times. I mean I work in IT well it’s my own company and I have a site of over 90 users and I could count on 1 hand the amount of users that would have the slightest idea or understand what’s been going on here. So to expect a user base in the excess of thousands to know or understand (or even read about) this SUP and peak time management is just imo bully boy tactics (what we say goes and if you don’t like it then GTF).

If you want to proceed down this line (not that I have anything against it) you have to have the means in place for users to keep track of how much BW they are using and when they are using it (and remember to have the kid gloves on when doing so, so that the less knowledgeable users can understand how to use it).

Anyway I could go on for ages yet but, rant over as I need to go help another 1 of my not so knowledgeable users probably only turned on the monitor and not the PC…… oh well that’s life. :lol:
simonh
Grafter

Hi,
Though for the time being, the only real way to do this is to use third party software to check for yourself.

Any reccomendations?
N/A

I would wait for a day or two the message from Stew yesterday

Barring any development or testing problems which we do not envisage at the moment we are looking to get this to go live at the end of the week, and yes I mean this week

We should not have to wait too long for the real thing.
mrcook
Grafter

If we need to use a 3rd party monitoring tool to measure peak time usage then there are a few issues raised.

1 Why was this not recommmended to use it in the new terms and conditions?
2 What tool do we use and how do we synchronise time to ensure that we are accurately measuring our usage.
3 If we are reaching a theshold then why are we not told about it beforehand so we can do something about it?

I am more than capable of implementing a monitoring tool but why should I it is not a condition of being a customer, I didn't expect this level of expertise to be required just to use Broadband Premier and as mentioned earlier a lot of less techinically sound but honest customers have also been cuaht out.

If plusnet had any decency I think they should write off their misdemeanors, apologise and refund if neccessary their customers who they have penalised for plusnets mismanagement of this poorly managed FUP.

I feel I am being forced to move with the put up or shut up attitude of this company.
N/A

We should not have to wait too long for the real thing.

Another placating post.

Well done.

Avoid the issue and maybe it'll go away.
N/A

I have the Netlimiter program, whilst it does tell you how much one has used per time, it does not state the times such as 4pm-12am or 4pm-12.30am for managed users Tongue .

I suppose it could be done, If I wrote down every time i reset pc or kept the times with my grandad clock. :roll:

P.S Can I buy a gb of bandwidth to tied me over till friday...I've run out..lol :lol:
Community Veteran

tvickery,

If you have nothing useful to post to the forums, then please feel free to post nothing. Mark was only relaying a message for the benefit of those who are interested.

Chris
___oDiN__
Grafter

self monitoring is fine but will be worthless as i doubt plusnet will use self monitored stats as proof in the event of a dispute.
N/A

As you can see I have been with PN for some time and that I don’t post very often. I do however visit the forums every day and read what is going on but don’t post, as most of the things I would have posted have already been said (I try to stay away from repeating things that have already been said). Now I feel the urge to speak my mind as from what I have been reading recently I feel the PN are really starting to extract the urine. How any ISP can penalise one/some of its customers for exceeding limits, when they don’t have any means for the said customer to check or keep tabs on what, or how much BW they are using goes beyond me. Then they tell you that the only way to check this is to get some third party software, install it and do it your selfHuh. I mean c’mon there’s a lot of ppl out there who only know how to surf the net, game, do word docs and DL, and are then expected to monitor their peak usage themselves. A wee phrase springs to mind here “wake up and smell the coffee” your living in dream land if you expect all your customers to know where to get these 3rd party applications and then expect them to know how to use them. :?

IMO there should be no SUP/PTM until the proper methods of monitoring this are in place and working to a satisfactory level. It’s just not fair on the users who don’t understand and or are unaware of the penalties of DLing over their allocated BW per month or peak times. I mean I work in IT well it’s my own company and I have a site of over 90 users and I could count on 1 hand the amount of users that would have the slightest idea or understand what’s been going on here. So to expect a user base in the excess of thousands to know or understand (or even read about) this SUP and peak time management is just imo bully boy tactics (what we say goes and if you don’t like it then GTF).

If you want to proceed down this line (not that I have anything against it) you have to have the means in place for users to keep track of how much BW they are using and when they are using it (and remember to have the kid gloves on when doing so, so that the less knowledgeable users can understand how to use it).

Anyway I could go on for ages yet but, rant over as I need to go help another 1 of my not so knowledgeable users probably only turned on the monitor and not the PC…… oh well that’s life. :lol:

God I wish I could put down my thoughts like that well done m8 keep it up ....they just lock the topic if you are as thick as me Evil
slytuk
Grafter

we are working on a new version of VMBU that will allow people to check their usage during the peak hours, so that they know how much they are downloading

Hi,

This suggests the SUP is only considering "downstream", I was under the impression it was "total usage" and thus including upstream (based on current usage tracking utility provided by Plus.net).

Could you please confirm ?

The current VBU tool is for "Usage" will that mean the new tool will be only downstream, and therefore, the SUP cannot be linked to the old tool at all ?

I would be greatful of clarification.

Thanks

SlyT