cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about broadband similar to sky tv?

N/A

i.e. you bolt on what you like?

Say you sign up for the premier 1 account, but you could login and change protocols to have a higher priority than others, and you would pay extra for making things a higher priority.

That way, if so many people make usenet a high priority, plusnet wont care because they'll have generated sufficient funds to purchase additional bandwidth.
19 REPLIES
James
Grafter

I think you'll find that a lot of the capacity thread contains reference to this sort of thing.

Certainly worth having the discussion and will depend predominantly on the capability of the ellacoyas.
N/A

How about getting BroadbandL via 2 way satellite link !

Anything would be better than rely on BTs awful monopoly on using phone lines for ADSL. Any way that can remove BT out of the picture would be a good thing IMHO.

Bill

Whose line BT damaged on 14th December is still not fixed after 5 weeks. I am still unable to get ADSL. And PN/BT do nothing about it :-(
N/A

having worked in places where they used *other meathods* I can assure you the grass isnt always greener off the bt network - that said if cable was available where I now live i'd be back in a snap!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

How about getting BroadbandL via 2 way satellite link !

It's available and I've used it once, latency is terrible because the data has to travel nearly 50,000 miles. If you have Sky, put BBC1 on terrestial then switch to satellite and watch the previous 1-2 seconds repeat. Latency on satellite broadband is generally a minimum of 750ms - 1.5s.
Fixes: 115

If you have Sky, put BBC1 on terrestial then switch to satellite and watch the previous 1-2 seconds repeat. Latency on satellite broadband is generally a minimum of 750ms - 1.5s.

So, does that mean satallite viewers do not require a licence as they are not watching programes 'live' as they are broadcast Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Saturn
Grafter

Those delays are not just a matter of latency due to distance. Sometimes there are deliberate delays built in.
James
Grafter

You require a TV License as long as you have a television or TV recording equipment afaik Sad
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Those delays are not just a matter of latency due to distance. Sometimes there are deliberate delays built in.

Yeah, live radio and TV shows often do that so they can "dump" the sound/picture or bleep it when people swear or say something "inappropriate". Tommy Boyd lost his job with Talk Sport for not doing that once I seem to remember.
Fixes: 115

Sorry James, my comment was rather tongue-in-cheek Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you have Sky, put BBC1 on terrestial then switch to satellite and watch the previous 1-2 seconds repeat. Latency on satellite broadband is generally a minimum of 750ms - 1.5s.

Not a good example, I have Freeview not Sky and there's a second or two lag on that.

Just do the calculations. 50,000 mile round trip. Radio waves travel at the speed of light, 186,000 miles per second. Round trip time: 0.2688 seconds. Its the processing and deliberate delays that account for the difference.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
willhome
Grafter

either way 0.27seconds is horrible if you want to game. You want a 40ms ish lag not a 270ms
N/A

either way 0.27seconds is horrible if you want to game. You want a 40ms ish lag not a 270ms

Try using the dialup number, then you will know what delays are all about :-(
N/A

It's available and I've used it once, latency is terrible because the data has to travel nearly 50,000 miles. If you have Sky, put BBC1 on terrestial then switch to satellite and watch the previous 1-2 seconds repeat. Latency on satellite broadband is generally a minimum of 750ms - 1.5s.

What is quite fun is to switch on the normal TV to view but play the sound via the SKY box, very disorieting :-)

Isn't that latency due to the SKY box hardware and software though ?

Anyway the satisfaction of being able to tell those criminals at BT what they can do with their obsolete copper wire technology would be worth it !

At the moment BT can only manage to give me 24kbps which is hardly something to boast about.

Yes I did say kbps and not Mbps !

Bill.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Some of the latency is the Sky box, but you still get a half second or a second or so delay from the satellite. Last I looked BT were one of the largest satellite broadband suppliers, although it was a while back.

As an aside back in the 80s BT wanted to rollout fibre everywhere, they saw back then the benefits of replacing the ageing copper network with fibre, whether broadband and the services that come with it were thought about, I doubt it, but they were blocked by the Conservative government from doing it. Only a few new housing developments got fibre rollouts.

So when broadband was in its infancy in the late 90s BT really had little choice but to do the best they can with the existing copper infrastructre. A mass Fibre to the Home rollout now would either cost billions and take years and years (can you imagine all the road digging and planning applications?) or there'd unsightly overhead cabling everywhere (can't see that being popular).

Next stage on the roadmap is 21CN, and then from there hopefully VDSL2 and the rollout of FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) which will mean that the copper run for most people will just be the last kilometre or so. Which certainly as far as the next decade is concerned is probably the closest we'll get nationally to replacing copper. Locally, some new housing will get dedicated fibre and ethernet connections but on a national scale copper is going to be around for a while yet.

Regarding the 24kbps, is that on the broadband or are you using dial-up?