cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about a free e-mail account?

N/A

Great news about the service upgrade but how about including an e-mail account. Although it does not effect me as an experienced user, it has put off friends of mine who expect it to be part of the basic package.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hi

There is no such thing as a freebie - someone has to pay.

On of Mertonet's selling points has always been - pay for your connection then bolt on the bits you need at reasonable cost.

Email is easy - www.freemail.fm should cover the basics if anyone doesn't want to pay.

Bill
N/A

Hi Bill.

As I said in my original post, it does not worry me, in fact I prefer to keep my e-mail accounts separate and not use my primary ISP. I like the concept of only paying for what I need, but I know that it does put people off, just like the 'up front' connection payment did. Metronet have recently reduced that and I wonder how much it would realy cost to incorporate a single e-mail account into the basic package for those who wanted it?

Geoff
N/A

Hi.
You can of course try and explain to them the benefits of keeping your email seperate. The way some people chop and change ISPs nowadays I can't see how offering is an advantage.
Cheers
Jon
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I wonder how much it would realy cost to incorporate a single e-mail account into the basic package for those who wanted it?

Hi Geoff,

I understand that the cost is: "not-a-lot" :shock:

BUT - it is a bit like "unlimited download" it is fine when everyone is a low to medium user but things will go pear shaped if everyone suddenly wanted to make maximum use of the system.

The same applies to "free" web space - the majority of users don't use it - but what would Plusnet do if everyone suddenly wanted to use their maximum allowance - how many new servers would that take and how would it be paid for?

This will also be the case for other freebies like VOIP etc. - just wait till it takes off and there will be another round of FUP changes and Traffic management Cry

Bill