cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How PN could help with their Service Status reports

peterfleet
Grafter

PN announced earlier this week a planned maintenance session to take place this very early am concerning ADSL disconnects. Fine.

But it would have been very helpful to me and maybe others to be told in advance that after the planned maintenance some users might have difficulties reconnecting, and that they should switch their router (or equivalent)off for at least 30 minutes.

Instead PN provided this advice on a Service Status update later this am, too late of course,to be of use to me. Because I don't have a dial up facility wired up permanently to my PC I can't readily check the PN portal. Instead I assume that the PN broadband service will be as available as it was earlier this year.

So please PN may we have your good advice before the event next time?
5 REPLIES
N/A

You can subscribe to service status emails here

Altenatively you can call 0845 002 0173 to listen to recorded message versions of the service status'

I could be imagining it, but I think I also read somewhere that trials of SMS updates may be happening. But is possible, some might say likely, that I imagined that part.
The other two though are definately, without a doubt, bona fide options.
N/A

Ah, I had read it somewhere!
Service status by SMS

After some public beta trials, we are now releasing this tool to whoever wants to use it. It provides Service Status information via SMS text message, as and when they are published.

This is a chargable service, and SMS messages are not free to send however, costs are at a minimum. The more you buy, the cheaper they are.

From this page, which is from 2004, so perhaps its still a real service, or perhaps not.
I'm sure somebody from the Usergroup will be able to let us know though.
peterfleet
Grafter

I'm sorry "sallyandjames", because if I don't have a broadband service I can't receive PN emails.

But thank you for the SMS service reference.

However what PN should do is post the advice if they know of the possible problems before the planned maintenance event that might disrupt the resumption of the service.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

The maintenance post was orginally made on Tuesday afternoon

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1157467057.htm

However, we didn't anticipate that customers would have difficulties reconnecting, hence the message on the post. You should have been able to reconnect straight after.

Each of our central pipes is made up of 4 155Mbps segments and each segment is split into 3 tunnels. What normally happens with this type of maintenance work is that it is staggered so that they take down each tunnel in turn so as not to disconnect everyone in one go. Instead they all done at once which meant that everyone with a router or was trying to reconnect was pointed at the other pipes all at the same time.
peterfleet
Grafter

Thanks Dave.

I thought this problem was predictable, but you say no. And I accept that.

It took more than 45 minutes after router re-boot this morning to get a connection. Router log showed that DSL was training for most of this time. I have not had this length of reconnection delay since DSL upgrade (LLU)about 2 months ago.