cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

House move - removing non-existent ISDN

N/A

I've decided to post this here as I've had no response to my ticket 22 hours after logging it.

I moved house last week and gave PN my new number. I was given an activation date on my new line of the 12th June. Yesterday (13th) I logged in to PN to find I had a message saying that my broadband couldnt be activated as ISDN needed to be removed from my line, which would happen on the 20th June, and I would be charged 50 quid for.

I phoned BT who confirmed that there was no ISDN on the line and that there was no reason why BB couldnt be activated.

I then spent 90 minutes on hold to PNs telephone support before being cut off so I logged a ticket - which this morning, almost 24 hours later has still not being responded to.

After being a PN customer for almost 2 years this is the first time I've needed support, and what an eye-opener the experience has been.

Can anyone give me any advice - apart from the obvious "get a new ISP"?
9 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi Smiley

Your order has been submitted and is progressing fine. I have updated your ticket to confirm this. I cannot find anything mentioning ISDN on your account at all, does the message still show in the member centre? If so does it have a reference number at all?
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

You will have spoken to BT Retail, who may well have got it wrong! It's quite possible that they either looked at the wrong information, or didn't have access to the correct information.

It is BT Wholesale who deal with the provisioning, and (from bitter experience) I know that Retail often give the wrong information. Unless the Retail person you spoke to went away to speak to someone from BTW (which, again from my experience, can often be a loooong wait), it is quite likely that they made a mistake and there may be remnants of an old ISDN connection on your new line - even if the wall box has been removed, the backend work may not have been done, as BT would want to try to get someone to pay for the change.

This doesn't help you much ;( I'm not going to defend PlusNet's current CS response time - we know it's not good, and so do they - and they're trying to do something about it.

You might like to try to speak to BT again, and make sure they check with BTW. Whether or not this will work, will depend upon whether or not you get a BT CS rep who is willing to go that extra mile - since it's a BTW question, they are under no obligation to sort it out.

Actually, thinking out loud Wink, where they do have an obligation is for your voice line. So, I'm assuming you have a working PSTN line and it's the same line as ADSL is going to be on? Just to be sure, what does your BT master socket look like?

If this is the case, it would point to misinformation in the BTW database for your line, in which case it can only be resolved by PlusNet speaking with BTW Sad

In which case your only way forward is to persevere with PlusNet CS.

Hope this is some help, if a bit of a ramble Shockedops:

Regards, Neil
N/A

Mand

The bit about ISDN is in order tracking, I have a blue arrow next to the activating my connection bit, and the following:

"Before you can get broadband an engineer needs to change your ISDN line to a normal telephone line. This costs £50.00 [inc VAT] and is charged to your telephone bill.

Your telephone line is then checked to see if broadband will work on it. If it will your line will be activated for broadband. We'll contact you to arrange a suitable time to do this.

We suggest that you don't buy any broadband hardware until we tell you that your connection is active.

Your activation date
An engineer will activate your broadband on:

20th Jun 2006 - After 12pm

Please note: this date may change."
N/A

Neil

I do have a working PSTN line, and its indeed the same one that my broadband is to be on. The lady I spoke to at BT retail did speak to Wholesale (and it was indeed a long wait) who confirmed the lack of ISDN.

The master socket is a normal single socket. We have the big ISDN sockets in the office and its definitely not one of those that I have in the house.

The number also checks out with the BT availability checker, with no mention of ISDN. I've done this test in the past with an ISDN line and its always mentioned the fact that ISDN would need to be removed first.

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

Ok, seems like your only recourse is to get PlusNet onto it. There clearly seems to be a clerical error somewhere. Now Mand is looking into it, you will hopefully have someone doing this soon.

Sorry about the questions about the wall box ;-) I've known a lot of people not know what a BT Home/Business Highway box looks like, and of course they could be using it as a POTs line without even knowing it was an ISDN system.

Regards, Neil
lsunter

I have exactly the same problem - ordered a house move yesterday for next tuesday for my new line and have received a message in my order progress saying that the must contact BT to convert to normal line and this will cost 50 quid. BT are going to stuggle converting it from ISDN because its NOT ISDN - I've raised a question about this - assuming plusnet have cocked up.
Mand
Grafter

Hi

Both of you have standard orders placed, this is an error with the messages displayed by the order tracker, which has been raised to our development team for resolution.
lsunter

OK many thanks for clearing this up - most prompt of you - much appreciatied
N/A

I'll second that, thanks for the prompt response Mand.