cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hours and days with no ADSL connection

N/A

Hi all, I have been prompted by other posters and a lack of help from PlusNet into asking for any technical help or advice out their in the community. I'm not too thick when it comes to IT, so can and will try and test/read/research anything, so please feel free to suggest/advise/point/whatever...

Approx. 2.5yrs ago I "converted" from dial-up to ADSL using the PlusNet EasyStart package (this involved a free modem from PN, connection by BT, a payment upfront and a monthly subs of £24.99 - I think!)

In all honesty the service has never been anything like "always on" and is more frequently "off" than "on" with (generally) the ADSL light flashing for hours and days on end. The only time it differs (when it isn't working!) is when I complain to PN and it is quite obvious "something" is being done by them/BT as the light stops flashing (for days).

The free modem and cable by PN has long since been despatched to modem heaven, and I now have a D-LINK DSL-G604T wireless. I also have a new PC (all the things that PN have suggested in the past) and plug straight into the master socket. We've also changed numerous filters. We've tried the setup (with old and new setups) for days with nothing else connected to the phone lines (i.e. no phone or fax - that went down well with my wife I can tll you!)

Recently the service has taken a real downturn. Although the worst times have always been (and personally I think this is related but have never had anyone at PN or therefore BT agree) early morning (8am - 11am) early evening (3pm - 9pm) and Fri, Sat, Sun - i.e. the peak times I would guess. Some weekends there is no service worthwhile to speak of.

Matters have come to a head now though because over the last few months I have been asked to work from home (building up bit by bit, day by day) for most of the week and therefore have discovered how poor the service generally is - it is not a credible service.

On top of all that a recent conversation with my neighbour - not about beer for once - resulted in them saying they were with Virgin (and have been with a.n.other ISP) and there BB was down for large portions of the time and usually at the same time as ours. Further questions suggested other neighbours also suffered the same. The neighbours have also been give the same excuses from their ISP (filter, modem, PC, setup, Firewall etc. etc. etc.)

Recently I finally got PN to get after BT and BT (without asking or informing - and bear in mind I work from home!!!) took my service away on the Thurs before the last BH and it didn't come back until the following Tuesday. The PN ticket stated a Cease & Reprovide was needed, which BT now claim they have undertaken and PN have closed the ticket (again with asking, testing or informing).

The service is still just as poor as ever and although I eventually got mandbeckett to speak to me, I have heard nothing (yes I've pm'd her as she suggested I should) since.

All I want is a service *OR* PN / BT to state that the service is unavailable (imho the C&R indicates/confirms that it never worked properly anyway) and then I can deal with the results.

My personal thoughts (PN management of problems aside) are that it is somehow related to peak/bandwidth usage but the service can disappear at anytime in all honesty.

is there ANYTHING ELSE I can do that will help ME get an answer to my question? If I've missed anything off, please ask? We run XP, but have run 98 and ME - all the same problems.

TIA for ANY response - even rude ones :lol:
40 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Write to them, and use recorded delivery. Complaining on this forum or the ticket system is not enough ... be formal and you should get results.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I'm sorry that you've had a problem for so long and I'm sorry that it has yet to be resolved. In all honesty based on the information you've posted my belief is that the problem is being caused by some external factor between your exchange and you and your neighbours.

If there was a problem exchange side then the cease and reprovide would have fixed it because it would reset everything, switch line card and re-do all the jumpering at the exchange.

Because your neighbours are also seeing the same problem that would lead me to rule out anything within your property as well as a fault just on your line.

The conclusion is that it is something that is common to your line and your neighbours lines. That could mean that it's something on the pole(s) or the green cabinet, but I would have though that a fault like that would have been picked up by the remote testing.

To get this resolved I really do think there's only two ways to go. Either take a look at where the phone lines go and see if there's something along the way that could be causing interference, are there electricity pylons or substations, TV/Phone masts they run past or anything like that?

If not then for BT to be able to treat it as a group fault rather than individual faults is for each person affected to raise it with their ISP and cross reference them. I really can't think of any other way around it.
vic_newey
Grafter

It seems very unlikely that your problems are from +nets end & possibly not on your PC end if your neighbours are getting the same problems,
Do you & your neighbours have your line from telephone poles or do you live in a newish house with underground wiring ?

If the former then its odds on that there is a bad connection nearby & also make sure that you don't have the problem I had which was a single line crossing to a pole at our gate ( we are at the end of the road ) which then split into 2 seperate wires to 2 properties. I was the only one with ADSL until our new neighbour had his enabled & my line went downhill straight after that & dropped every time he was online & I was convinced that as we were the only ones in the road without a seperate wire each that it was causing a problem .
Apparently a BT manager who ordered me a seperate line said it was not commonly known that two ADSL lines cannot share one line as is common with phones & I don't mean a party line which is completely different. My line never dropped again & the engineer who fitted the new line said he was amazed that it was generally unknown problem amongst engineers
N/A

Heck guys, plenty for me to be going at there and many thanks for the pointers. I still hope that PlusNet (Dave. T.??) will however STILL feed the info back to BT (re: the C&R) and keep kicking them from behind because as I have said I would rather BT/PN say "sorry sir, you cannot have ADSL" rather than keep on paying money for a service that is relatively costly, disaapoints, and makes me angry Cry
shellsong
Grafter

I know It has been mentioned to you before but, although PlusNet should be putting your situation before BTw in no uncertain terms (preferably clearly referencing the problems your neighbours are reporting at the same time), in your position I think I would be inclined to spend some of the time apparently wasted chasing up PlusNet getting statements and even signatures of affected neighbours where possible and send copies of the whole lot to PlusNet and Ofcom and BTw (if there's an address for them) and suggest to your neighbours that they do the same with their ISPs etcetera!

This clearly appears to be a local area/exchange issue-- perhaps a duff DSLAM or similar problem. What's the betting that when they did a cease and reprovide it was on the same dodgy DSLAM and they're just playing "Musical Connections" with you and your neighbours?
N/A

Hi

My line from the house to the pole was faulty when I first got adsl and I suspected the line. It was very old and had been there in all conditions, gales, ice, very strong sun etc..

I couldn't get BT out to check it. A friend of mine came round stuck his head out of the window with a broom and just gently gave it a prod. To our surprise the line broke and of course we had to call in BT who are under orders to fix a line fault within a set time frame.

Cutting a long story short; the BT Bloke came took the old line down, he was amazed at the condition. It was so brittle he was able to snap it like a piece of dry spaghetti. Needles to say the line was great after that and I didn't have to pay for the BT call out.

Yours my not be an old line and as has been suggested, may be underground. So my story won't help. If you do try the broom test then BT will be there this weekend.
N/A

What is the SNR margin and the attentuation?

HI,

Looking through the thread above I cannot find any mention of your line parameters, What are the SNR and the attn when you had a synced up line and what are they like now? How far are you from the exchange? Is it weather related? The reason I ask is I used to suffer loss of service when it rained!

I live at the edge of a village in Hampshire, and the line from the exchange to me goes underground and then overground for the last half mile. The underground cable was 30+ years old and really poor. When it rained, the BT manholes always flooded and soaked the cables and I lost connection. After a few days of dry weather it all sprang into life again. After numerous complaints, (at the time I was on a BT business line, I had a bit of leverage with the £25 a day payment from BT when there was no service), BT pulled some new cable through the underground section, result... a much more reliable service.

hope you get your line / exchange sorted, I know the frustration and anger you are going through trying to get some focus on your problem!

regards

Patrick
N/A

Many, many thanks to all above Smiley

I'm gonna spend the next few hours/days digging around and asking further questions - I do see that the BT pole has no lines to it into the houses on our close (there's only 6 houses) and our next door neighbour has a line going into his (from underground), but we DON'T appear to have an extrernal line coming in anywhere?? Is that "normal"Huh Our master socket also appears to be UPSTAIRS (BT told me that the m/socket is the one that is split in half and has "BT" written on it?
shellsong
Grafter

Our master socket is downstairs by the front door but the house is end of terrace and the phone line comes along under the eaves from the direction of the house next door, then down the wall and through the top of the front door frame. It would probably be better if it came in upstairs from the point of view of optimal wireless router positioning. The line is quite probably about 30 years old but we are fortunate enough to have good stats Wink
N/A

Just an update - if anyone is still awake :-)

It LOOKS like we have just the one line somehow coming into the close (6 houses)... no-one else seems to have a BT line physically going into their house (from underground, not the pole) other than our next door neighbour... is that possible?

Also, ADSL has been off again and so were the neighbours. Is there *ANY* software that we can put on our PC(s) that will timestamp/monitor when our connection to the internet goes down? I.e. if we're working we can obviously phone each other to confirm, but a) that is not always likely to be the case and b) it would be nice to throw a log or something at BT/PN to help them tie down what the hell is going onHuh Any software around - links etc. - please?

TIA.....
N/A

Anything is possible Wink The precise technicalities of how the lines are arranged will probably only be known by BT though.

Some routers support SNMP (as do some Operating Systems) and there are a variety of tools which can be used to gather data from the routers or the computer, you're best bet is probably to google for tools for your particular situation. For a simpler option, you could try using l8nc graphs A disconnection usually shows up as a large jump in packetloss (a red line) but be aware the graphs use GMT.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Is there *ANY* software that we can put on our PC(s) that will timestamp/monitor when our connection to the internet goes down?

You could use the http://l8nc.com/ service. That pings your connection and graphs the response. It can also email you when it goes down and comes back. I suggest you use the once per minute option which is designed for up/down testing.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Thanks a lot. I have signed up, but it's (obviously!) asking for my IP address. I am assuming that I have a dynamic one through PN... is that the case and if not, how do I find out what to put in?
N/A

Doh! ( I think! ).... I am guessing that the IP address filled in automatically for me 9and checked at http://www.showmyip.com/gb/ is the one..... !