cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotmail is blocking my plusnet address!

KevinHyland
Grafter

I have just discovered that Hotmail has started blocking messages from my plusnet account.

Given the recent situation I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised, but, considering the number of e-mails that must be sent daily from plusnet to hotmail, this really need to get sorted out ASAP.

I have raised a ticket, but given the 7hour+ waiting time, and the fact that my last ticket (requesting the migration of my address book) has been ignored for a week and a half, I am not holding my breath.

Is anyone else experiencing similar problems?

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin): Excessive use of CAPS removed from title.]
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hiya,

I've just sent a test email to my hotmail account from my plusnet account and it went straight through.

What was the message you recieved from hotmail?

Also.. are you using the hotmail.com or .co.uk domain?

I'll set up a .com domain addy in a minute and test it.

Regards,

Roger.

Edited to add - I've asked another user to send a test mail from PN to Hotmail.com and it went straight through. - Can you post the headers of the reply from the hotmail server so we can see what MXCore was being used to send the email from PN..
Community Veteran

Were you sending the email from PlusNets webmail system or your own email client?

For some reason sending from webmail to Hotmail always fails for me but when sent from my client it goes through fine. I suspect either Hotmail is blocking from squirrel mail or the mail server webmail uses (cgirelay02) is blocked by Hotmail.
Community Veteran

I had this problem a couple of years ago. It was extremely hard to track down - sometimes e-mails from PlusNet would get to a Hotmail account, sometimes they wouldn't. PlusNet tested it for me and found no problem. I got other people to help me test it, and again, sometimes there was a problem, sometimes there wasn't. It eventually transpired that, apparently, Hotmail was 'incompatible' with Apple's Mail application. The solution? When sending an e-mail from a PlusNet to Hotmail address, add the recipient's Hotmail address as a 'CC' address. Voila, it worked. It also seemed fine if sending a reply back to a Hotmail account which had just e-mailed you.

I realise that the OP is probably not using Apple's Mail app, but I've never been sure I believed the Hotmail technical support person (albeit from a 'higher level' support) anyway, so I think what I've mentioned above - trying using CC, trying sending replies - are worth trying.
KevinHyland
Grafter

Thanks for all the advice so far!

Here is the error message from Hotmail:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

fosterm26@hotmail.com
SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<kevinhyland@kevinhyland.plus.com>
SIZE=4110:
host mx2.hotmail.com [65.54.244.40]: 550 Your e-mail was rejected for policy
reasons on this gateway. Reasons for rejection may be related to content such as
obscene language, graphics, or spam-like characteristics (or) other reputation
problems. For sender troubleshooting information, please go to
http://postmaster.msn.com. Please note:
if you are an end-user please contact your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <kevinhyland@kevinhyland.plus.com>
Received: from [212.159.6.54] (port=39241 helo=webmail.plus.net)
by ptb-cgirelay02.plus.net with esmtp (Exim 4.34)
id 1HzS0k-00088L-NR; Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:43:51 +0100
Received: from 195.171.168.36
(SquirrelMail authenticated user kevinhyland)
by webmail.plus.net with HTTP;
Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:43:50 +0100 (BST)
Message-ID: <4761.195.171.168.36.1181976230.squirrel@webmail.plus.net>
In-Reply-To: <610672$23tmb@smtp.tiscali.co.uk>
References: <610672$23tmb@smtp.tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:43:50 +0100 (BST)
Subject: RE: 24 Hour
To: "George McDowell" <gmac100@tiscali.co.uk>
Cc: "'Mark Foster'" <fosterm26@hotmail.com>
User-Agent: SquirrelMail
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;charset=iso-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3 (Normal)
Importance: Normal

As you can see, the address was a CC address already and it was hotmail.com

If I recall correctly, I sent the e-mail via squirrel mail.

The reason given is a "policy reason". It looks as if the plusnet spam issue is catching up with us...
Community Veteran

Ah yes, you're having a different problem to the one I had - I never received any bouncebacks.
Community Veteran

Are you using webmail?

That is the bounce message I get when sending from webmail.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Well I've just tried sending one from webmail to hotmail and haven't got anything yet, no bounceback and the mail has not arrived.

That was 5 minutes ago, so will see if I get anything later on.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi there,

I've just tried sending to my hotmail account using an email client and also webmail.
The one sent from my client was received straight away, no sign of the one sent through webmail yet. I'll see if we can get this looked into from here.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Tigger
Grafter

Had this problem at the weekend - see

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=56808

So it's not just you. Got the same bouncebacks, eventually sent successfully from mail2web - but of course I shouldn't have too.

Can Plusnet get in touch with Hotmail for usHuh
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

We are looking at this internally and I have raised a problem for this to be looked at. I'll be back with more information as we have it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
KevinHyland
Grafter

We are looking at this internally and I have raised a problem for this to be looked at. I'll be back with more information as we have it.

Many thanks!
KevinHyland
Grafter

Latest from Plusnet on the ongoing situation with Hotmail.

link:CSA Removed IE - Generic 12:03pm, Tuesday 19th June 2007
Dear Mr Hyland,
The next action on your Help Assistant Question is due on Tuesday 26th June at 9:00am. This Question will remain open with the IE - Mail until this time.Additional information is provided below:

We are aware of the issues affecting users sending from webmail to hotmail addresses. There is a problem open for this: 43839. Placing ticket on hold until this is resolved. Apologies for any inconvenience this is causing you, we will provide an update as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
link:CSA Removed

To administer your account and for all your help and support requirements visit http://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html

I notice that the service status for e-mail is still green.

Considering the amount of outstanding issues with e-mail, including migration (or still not yet) of address books, hotmail blocking and the general temporary nature of the webmail platform, to name but a few, I find this to be an extraordinary decision by Plusnet.

Green = all is well / no reported problems.

Honest - not in my book...

[Moderators Note by Daniel (no7olivier) Customer Service Agent name removed as per the link:rules]
Tigger
Grafter

Thanks for posting this letter.

As there seems to be nothing in the public domain except this thread, how do I keep up to date with the status of this problem, except by keeping an eye here?

There is a problem number, but it's not listed on the priority problem page?

And our main e-mail address is my husband's, not mine, and he doesn't use webmail, whereas I do! So sending him an e-mail will not keep me up to date necessarily, and I'm the one with the problem.

Help?? :?
KevinHyland
Grafter

If I receive any further news I'll post it here.

Plusnet might like sticking their heads in the sand about their e-mail issues - but I don't...!