cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Potato Dropping

N/A

Hot Potato Dropping

Hi,

The one thing that will make ALL customers drop an ISP like a hot potato is unreliability of connection. I was fairly content with Plus Net until the 2mb upgrade came in. My line can only support up to 1mb. Fair enough...if I didn't live 2.33 kilometres from the exchange.
Since the speed upgrade the connection times have been dire to say the least. Once I could leave the machine running and wander away happy that it would complete its assigned task(s). Not now. To ensure a consistent result I have to babysit the machine and check the connection frequently.
There has been no change in settings or programs. It happens with a PCI modem and a modem router on different computers. There is never a problem when I check the Service Status page. Yet one exists somewhere and I am sure it is not with my equipment.
Are the faster speeds swamping BT's infrastructure? If so, what are they doing about it? When will they admit it? Tip: Don't hold breath while waiting for answer.
I'll give it a little more time before getting into a round-robin with support staff and checking out other providers.

Fred,
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Hot Potato Dropping

What are your line stats, and what speed are you syncing at (it's mentions 1 and 2mb in your post)?

Also work through these tutorials:

http//usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10
http//usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13
N/A

Re: Hot Potato Dropping

Hi,

The one thing that will make ALL customers drop an ISP like a hot potato is unreliability of connection. I was fairly content with Plus Net until the 2mb upgrade came in. My line can only support up to 1mb. Fair enough...if I didn't live 2.33 kilometres from the exchange.
Since the speed upgrade the connection times have been dire to say the least. Once I could leave the machine running and wander away happy that it would complete its assigned task(s). Not now. To ensure a consistent result I have to babysit the machine and check the connection frequently.
There has been no change in settings or programs. It happens with a PCI modem and a modem router on different computers. There is never a problem when I check the Service Status page. Yet one exists somewhere and I am sure it is not with my equipment.
Are the faster speeds swamping BT's infrastructure? If so, what are they doing about it? When will they admit it? Tip: Don't hold breath while waiting for answer.
I'll give it a little more time before getting into a round-robin with support staff and checking out other providers.

Fred,

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33166

Its not just me then Wink
N/A

Hot Potato Dropping

Thanks for reply,

What are your line stats, and what speed are you syncing at (it's mentions 1 and 2mb in your post)?

I must be the only one in the western world using a PCI Modem (SAR 310) and a modem/router (Mentor 4 Port Modem/Router) which does not give the stats that others do. Or not in recognisable form, anyway. Smiley

Line syncs at 900+ according to PlusNet Speed Tester. ( 1Mb speed)

(Also work through these tutorials:

http//usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10
http//usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

I have had a look at both tutorials, again. ( Viewed previously as a matter of course to make sure that I had a good set-up)

Basically, hand on heart, fingers crossed I can say with absolute conviction that the likelyhood of this being a problem with me, or the equipment I'm using, to be a very small possibility. I have tried with two different computers, two different ADSL methods of connection. Neither have been able to keep synchronised at the level I was used to in the past. As I said, if the connection does not revert back to it's pre-upgrade state, then I will probably bail out as it is reminding me of the nightmare time I had with BT Internet and why I ditched them.
I also had a similar go-round with support last Xmas when connections went flaky and all that was suggested was to jump through hoops and that it was all my fault, probably, anyway. It wasn't and the problem sorted itself without any physical intervention from me.

As a side note, I am security concious and run a software firewall as a backup to the router's, anti-virus software, updated and run regularly, BHO and script defenders. Yes, everything worked fine before this present problem.

The only change recently has been the free speed upgrade. Smiley

Fred
N/A

Hi Mark,

Hi,

The one thing that will make ALL customers drop an ISP like a hot potato is unreliability of connection.
Fred,

Mark wrote,

(http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33166

Its not just me then Wink

Wow! I usually get nominated for a Guinness Record entry whenever I point out to firms that I am having trouble with a service or piece of equipment.
Their reply is usually, 'Oh? Well you're the only one that has complained about this, sir. No, no one else has ever,... at all.... Just you.' Refreshing to see I'm not in my usual oppressed minority, then. Cheesy'
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hot Potato Dropping

Hi,

It's certainly possible that your line doesn't support the faster speed, do you know what the line stats are?

What we can do is run some remote testing and see if there are any problems and report this on for you. If you raise a ticket via Contact Us, there's a specific path for intermittant connections, answer BT's 16 questions and we'll get this looked at for you.
N/A

Hot Potato Dropping

You know I really, really hate you, don't you? You've just ruined a perfectly good sulk complete with muttered profane negatives.

Hi,
It's certainly possible that your line doesn't support the faster speed, do you know what the line stats are?

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have equipment that provides those kind of figures. (OK, it was cheap, alright?)

I accept that my line may not support 2mb and I am happy with the 1mb. I know BT of old, through first-hand experience and second-hand observation. So, I have no illusions about their equipment or competence.

(What we can do is run some remote testing and see if there are any problems and report this on for you. If you raise a ticket via Contact Us, there's a specific path for intermittant connections, answer BT's 16 questions and we'll get this looked at for you.

Thank you, you efficient, compassionate person, you! , ( Tongue) I'll do as you suggest and go through the Contact Us procedure.

PS. It's due to people like DTomlinson and those now departed, that I still have a belief and trust in Plus Net and a desire to stay with them. All joky comments aside, I have never seen a more dedicated group of people concerned about their customers.

Fred.
vic_newey
Grafter

Hot Potato Dropping

I think some of the replies to this thread are missing the point & presuming that something has gone wrong with fkarno's connection when in fact as he points out at the start, have all the 2meg upgrades swamped the system ?
I & apparently many others cannot obtain the speeds we once did & sometimes its abysmal, i don't think i have reached my regular speed on my 1meg ,960, for months & its often in the 800's
Many of those now upgraded to 2meg on +net seem to be getting poor speed, had they all been jumping for joy I would presume it was at the expence of my bandwidth. Yes i tried the BT tester & whatever garbage result you get it will tell you that its acceptable.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hot Potato Dropping

From the description I don't think Fred's problem is to do with increased traffic on the network or an increase in regrades.

Even if BT's ADSL network is maxing to capacity it should still stay connected even if the speeds are really low.

If it's a disconnection problem losing sync randomly then the cause is isolated to being somewhere between the customer's equipment and BT's exchange. The questions asked in Contact Us and in the tutorials will help to eliminate anything on the customer's side and leave it as somewhere on the line of the exchange.

Speed reductions though can be caused by more factors, although what BT Wholesale say is acceptable is generally about a fifth of your sync speed on the BT speedtest. There are times when we can raise speed faults when they do fit in the acceptable area, but they are tough to progress through the system.
N/A

Hot Potato Dropping

Dave,

Thanks again for sound advice,

If it's a disconnection problem losing sync randomly then the cause is isolated to being somewhere between the customer's equipment and BT's exchange. The questions asked in Contact Us and in the tutorials will help to eliminate anything on the customer's side and leave it as somewhere on the line of the exchange..

Why have I not raised a contact ticket after reading the instructions? Because as sure as eggs is eggs and a pound to a penny, after BT have done their checks guess what the answer is going to be?

'There's nothing wrong with the line, it's your equipment, that will be £54 please...Kaa-Ching!' Cynical? Me? An ex BT Internet customer? Ha-ha!

What am I going to do now? Wait and watch until an answer appears. I'm not alone in having the same problem and as stated in previous post am confident that it is not I or my equipment/connection at fault. nor do I think Plus Net are at fault, either.

As before, everything was tickety-boo until the new upgrade was implemented at the exchange. For those interested all lights at the exchange are green. (Though in the past BT have green-lighted equipment and told enquirers that they are at fault when BT's equipment has dispersed itself violently over the surrounding area and they are losing engineers at a rate of knots trying to repair/replace/bodge it back into working order.)

Thanks again, Dave and rest of team, am going into watch and wait mode, now. Smiley

Fred,
N/A

Hot Potato Dropping

Vic,

I think some of the replies to this thread are missing the point & presuming that something has gone wrong with fkarno's connection when in fact as he points out at the start, have all the 2meg upgrades swamped the system ? .

Exactly! There is obviously a problem somewhere and the posters complaining are probably more confident and competent with their equipment than someone who has just purchased a badged system from the local box-shifters. Smiley

But, I think until a complaint threshold is reached then this new phenomen will not be taken seriously by BT.

Fred,
Community Veteran

Hot Potato Dropping

I think it may be the 2MB upgrade that is causing the problem (well it is dead obvious) but to confirm that your line can't support 2MB we need stats these can also be obtained from a whoosh test done by PN if your equipment doesn't give them, also so long as you have done the checks then BT shouldn't charge you it's only if you haven't done the checks from what other people have said even if BT find no fault so long as you have done the tests there will be no charge i.e. engineer comes tries plugging your router into master socket and gets sync you will be charged. I'd say raising a ticket is the way to go
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hot Potato Dropping

Why have I not raised a contact ticket after reading the instructions? Because as sure as eggs is eggs and a pound to a penny, after BT have done their checks guess what the answer is going to be?

'There's nothing wrong with the line, it's your equipment, that will be £54 please...Kaa-Ching!' Cynical? Me? An ex BT Internet customer? Ha-ha!

If you do everything that we ask and anything that BT ask of you as well then you wouldn't be charged the admin fee.

Generally the only cases of the admin fee being charged is where we ask you to try something (e.g. swap filters) and you don't but say that you have.

So long as you can answer all the questions I'd say to raise the ticket as we can always remote test it and see if it flags up a problem, there's many an occassion where the testing immediately identifies the cause as a problem on the line or exchange.
N/A

Hot Potato Dropping

Hi Dan,

...but to confirm that your line can't support 2MB we need stats...

No, I'm not complaining about not being able to recieve up to the free 2mb limit. I'm satisfied with the 1mb I have. I''m being realistic about BT's outmoded, outdated equipment which hasn't kept pace with the online boom, wether it be 56k Dialup to ADSL. (ISDN never became an affordable intermediate during it's short life)

) ...but to confirm that your line can't support 2MB we need stats...

... i.e. engineer comes tries plugging your router into master socket and gets sync you will be charged. I'd say raising a ticket is the way to go

There's always been a problem with this master socket/equipment test for me, personally. Let's just rule that out as an option. Which means I'm doomed to pay the charge as soon as I say I am unable to comply with that step of the troubleshooting sequence.

Again, let me reiterate, the equipment(upgraded from x386 thru to AMD 2.5) has been working just jim-dandy for over a decade in the same location(s). There has never been a problem originating from this side of the telecommunitions network which, when down to me or failure of equipment, has not been diagnosed and rectified. Being told that the master socket is OK is not helpful as the equipment is never, never going to be used that close to it.

I'm online now, have been in the past and I do not think, in my case, doing that particular test is feasible.

Thanks for your input, it is warmly appreciated. Smiley

For now I'm going to follow this matter and see what threshold limit applies before BT gets off their butt and does something for everyone in this situation.

Fred,
N/A

Are the faster speeds swamping BT's infrastructure? If so, what are they doing about it? When will they admit it?

Hmmm, whaddya know? Browsing around and found at least one major ISP with a FAQ dealing with connection issues after BT regrade. So, it seems that something is buckling under load and the problem is affecting more than Plus Net.
(One of the self-checks is the master socket one..All those master sockets of all those customers of all those different ISPs have suddenly become unreliable? Sounds like a time wasting, bum covering till we get it fixed, type of shenanigans to likkle ol' me.)

Still in observation mode..'blink, blink.'

How the goldarned heck can you have a swear filter that allows, 'bum' and not 'ssa'? <--- read backwards. <---- It's a bit of frivolity, don't take it seriously, move along, there's nothing to see, now. Smiley

Fred