cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hosting and renewing domains with F9

N/A

My sister-in-law has started doing web design, and is now looking for a company to register a domain and host it for her.

I have told her about the facilities F9 do, if you have an account with them, but she is unable to get one with F9 as she is tied to NTL due to her being on cable with them.

If I get F9 to register and host a domain for her, through my account this will only cost £1 a month, but I would be grateful if anyone could answer the following for me.

Will the domain be kept totally seperate from my F9 account, ie my domain that F9 are just hosting automatically defaults to my F9 webspace, but if I want a new domain I want it to be classed as totally seperate. Or could I set up a webserver for her and have the dns entries pointing to that?

If F9 fully host it on their servers what space and bandwidth will be available for it, and are they charges if go over those figures.

Emails, will these be classed as seperate (so can use a different username/password) or will they have to be set-up through my default F9 account as with just the hosting option.

Another option would be for me to also set up an smtp server to receive the emails for her. I would I be able to do that on a domain fully hosted by F9 or not.

I would be grateful for any info anyone could supply on this.

thanks
5 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Apologies for the delay in my reply, we have been very busy with the launch of Broadband Plus.

By default any domain hosted on your account will be pointed to your webspace and the email for the domain will be pointed to your force9 email.

You can, using our domain control system, choose to point the domain to another server, and/or set the email to be sent to a different mailserver.

The costs for hosting are included under the £1 domain scheme, and if it is hosted with us the amount of bandwidth you are allowed will be the same as that currently allowed on your account, e.g. if it is a home account this is normally 250 MB/day.

Please note that this bandwidth allowance is for all domains on your account, so if you already have one this must be shared between the two.

Hope this helps,
N/A

thanks for info

i'll let her know, from what I can guess it would be best for her to fully host from someone else, as wants to keep accounts totally seperate.

especially if needing to send email to webmaster@domain1.co.uk and another to webmaster@domain2.co.uk otherwise it will get confusing.

Not only that she will have more bandwidth instead of sharing one value between them all.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

To be honest, if she wants to keep the domains totally separate then it would be best to register the domains with a dedicated hosting company.
mar7t1n
Grafter

Suggestions for Web Hosting

I bought a domain through http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ before I joined F9. F9 were really helpful and let me leave my domain with 123-reg but have the domain listed on the F9 web servers. So I pay 123-reg for the domain renewal but use F9's included hosting and nobody would know the difference.

If you want a really good hosting then try http://www.qiq.co.uk/. There hosting is the cheapest I've seen, but it includes PHP, MySQL and SSL which makes for a really powerful site. They don't gurantee 100% uptime but if you want that level of service you have to pay.

.co.uk domain names typically cost £6.08 for 2 years.
12 months hosting typically costs £20.
N/A

For pure hosting i would recommend 34SP (www.34SP.com) at £15/year - i have a few accounts with them and never had any problems. Support emails are usually answered within a matter of minutes during UK waking hours.