cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horribly slow on PAYG

jlgreen
Dabbler

Horribly slow on PAYG

Switched over to payg last month and everything was fine but the last couple of days have been awful - everything's grinding to a halt, surfing, downloading, email, everything. Have done virus/spyware checks, restarts, modem resets but no difference. Is there a problem at the moment as this is driving me nuts - it's taken me 20 minutes to get to these forums as it keeps dropping the page. The BT speedtest is still running and I don't think that's going to work either.

Can someone have a look for me please.
6 REPLIES
jlgreen
Dabbler

Horribly slow on PAYG

BT Test has just finished and says:

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user XXXXXXXXXXX and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

28 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 80.229.247.212, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.

Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdesk.
Community Veteran

Horribly slow on PAYG

Hi Elyse,

I'm sure you've seen it all before, however...

What is your Stable Rate reporting from the connection settings?

I'd also be interested to see what the bt speedtester is reporting too - this can be found at http://speedtester.bt.com

Finally, to help us a bit more try and help resolve your problem, can you post your modem or router stats please Smiley

Edited to add - just seen your post as I was writing this, looking at your bt speedtest results, you're still on a fixed rate product.

Kind regards,

Roger.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Horribly slow on PAYG

Looks like your still on a fixed rate product so this isn't caused by MAX funkiness.
I would advise giving our support team a call if you have been through all the normal tests, eg changing filter, removing any extension leads, virus scans.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Horribly slow on PAYG

@Chris

You really need to stop drinking that red bull Wink
:lol:
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Horribly slow on PAYG

hehe true, you got there before me on this one though.

@elyse

I had written my reply before I was your speed test results, they are alot lower than they should be, either visit http://faults.plus.net or call support on 0845 140 0080
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
jlgreen
Dabbler

Horribly slow on PAYG

I'm definitely on payg at £32.49 per month - mand swapped it over straight away for me last month when I posted it on here. It's been absolutely fine since the swap, it's just yesterday and today that things have ground to a near halt. Will raise a fault to get you to look into it.

My stable rate is : Your current broadband speed is 1000 Kbps

Thanks.