cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Horrendous dl speeds

N/A

Horrendous dl speeds

Not too sure if this is the correct place to ask this but I'll ask anyhows.

I recently moved from 512k BT Openworld/Yahoo to 512k Plusnet. Then I upgraded to 2mb. I thought that my days of 55-58k per second dl speeds were gone. Well I was correct. Since going to 2mb my dl speeds have been utterly shocking. Sometimes less than 30k a second.

Current test gives this:

Your current speed is:

388.20kbps (That's actually quite good compared to some previous results on this 2mb line)

I'm actually getting worse speeds a lot of the time than when I was on 512k. And I'm getting fed up with webpages taking forever to load. Oh and before someone says that I've used a lot of bandwidth and been moved to some heavily contented pipe... currently only used 0.18gb for the month.... not even half a gig. Grin

I'm still using my existing BT Voyager USB modem I had from my BT days. But as far as I'm aware that's capable of being connected to a 8mb line.

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreicated since this line is meant to become shared via a router within the next couple of weeks, but there's no way I'm going to split this between two people in it's current form.

EDIT: Just to add I also downloaded that Broadband speed optimiser from the site and still had no joy.
16 REPLIES
N/A

Horrendous dl speeds

ive had worse, try 35k Sad and thats not the download speed thats the connection :shock: 3.5KBps download 2 weeks ago, thankfully its back up to near 1800 but its fluctuating between 1200 and 1800 now, personally im getting sick of it :x
N/A

Horrendous dl speeds

I'd be interested in comments from other 2Mb users. I have just taken on the 512k service (for quite light use) which I'm quite happy with but I also have another (my main) location with a 512k service provided by another ISP which I was considering switching to the Plus Net 2Mb.
N/A

Horrendous dl speeds

Hey guys,

I'm a 2mbit user too, Im currently downloading at 240kb/s which is a bit above average for my line. Smiley

I recently moved from 512k BT Openworld/Yahoo to 512k Plusnet. Then I upgraded to 2mb. I thought that my days of 55-58k per second dl speeds were gone. Well I was correct. Since going to 2mb my dl speeds have been utterly shocking. Sometimes less than 30k a second.

Try BT's speed tester first of all:

The BT Speed Tester can test the speed of your connection across BT's network before it reaches us. Used in conjunction with other tests it can isolate where any speed issue is happening.

To use the BT Speed Tester you will need to disconnect your ADSL connection and re-connect using the following username and password

Username: speedtest@speedtest_domain

Password: testing

Once connected you can run the Speedtest from one of the following two URL's.

http://speedtester.bt.com or http://217.32.105.42

Please note that this speedtest is only available when using this test username, it will not work when logged in on your own username.

(taken from one of plusnets help pages)
Community Veteran

Horrendous dl speeds

The following tutorial explains how to use the BT speedtester in more detail:

ADSL: Using BT’s Speed tester service.
N/A

Horrendous dl speeds

I'm on the Plus.net 2mb service, and i get speeds of between 230-240kb/s.

I have a really good line of around 35dB though Tongue :lol:

Craigster
N/A

Horrendous dl speeds

Try BT's speed tester first of all:

1247 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is 213.120.185.254, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows NT 5.2.

Says it all really Sad *Sigh*
N/A

Horrendous dl speeds

I have a really good line of around 35dB though Tongue :lol:

Up..
noise margin upstream: 27.0 db
attenuation upstream: 14.0 db
Down..
attenuation downstream: 27.0 db
noise margin downstream: 32.0 db

Wink
Proclus
Grafter

Horrendous dl speeds

I recently upgraded to a 2mb connection from 1mb. I am on the whole happy with the service -touch wood-. My download speeds are crazy on IE with speeds up to 800kbps when i first start but that is just the build up while i select an area for the file to be saved. On the whole IE download speeds are about 240 kbps sometimes more sometimes less depending. Some download servers throttle the connection so that you will only be able to download at a certain speed however fast your connection is. I now and have for the last couple of months use FireFox and download speeds seem to be around the same as my recent experiences of IE about 240kbps . The problem with IE is that its a best guess of the download speed. I feel that its not very accurate firefox seem to be alot better more stable and seems to give more constant results. :roll:
N/A

Horrendous dl speeds

Ok I'll give the BT Speed Tester a go. Thanks for the replies so far Grin
Proclus
Grafter

Horrendous dl speeds

Just got my router installed -what a pain in the asre- if anyone ever gets a ZyXel prestige 662HW its supposed to be a Zero Config. Well on my case it was like 6hr config. Worth it in the end its got some really cool top notch features

I just managed to get some line tests done and these are the results:

Up.
noise margin upstream: 29.0 db
attenuation upstream: 14.0 db
Down.
attenuation downstream: 29.0 db
noise margin downstream: 27.0 db

Wink
N/A

Horrendous dl speeds

I'd be interested in comments from other 2Mb users.

Been on 2Mbps for a couple of weeks now and it's great, though the increase in speed is far less perceptible when going from 1->2 Mbps than it was going from 512k to 1Mbps. I think the major reason for this is that lag times haven't improved significantly, so there's still a noticeable pause whilst your browser queries the DNS server or whatever.
flicker
Grafter

Horrendous dl speeds

<snip> I'm still using my existing BT Voyager USB modem I had from my BT days. But as far as I'm aware that's capable of being connected to a 8mb line.<snip>

Is there any way you can try with a different modem? I had problems with mine on a 1MB connection. Now changed to wireless router/modem and although not always fantastic, it's still a 100% improvement. I also found a whole website with dissatisfied folk with this modem.
N/A

Horrendous dl speeds

I'd be interested in comments from other 2Mb users. I have just taken on the 512k service (for quite light use) which I'm quite happy with but I also have another (my main) location with a 512k service provided by another ISP which I was considering switching to the Plus Net 2Mb.

hi there, here is my speed i just got http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=e4a93a37100d8df48f8e4a93a37 i normally get about 228-235
N/A

Horrendous dl speeds

Matrox: Just got my router installed -what a pain in the asre- if anyone ever gets a ZyXel prestige 662HW

Sorry to hear it. I recently got the 660H which was fine. Basic config was up and running in 10 minutes, although I'm taking advantage of multi-nat, firewall, snmp and have my own server providing dns/dhcp so there was a little extra tweaking afterwoods.

I think their web interface is a little clunky compared to others, and after using it for a while, I switched to their telnet menu interface which in my mind was easier to navigate and use. The firewall config also didn't work with FireFox, so I had to use IE. Not a problem, just annoying.

Most importantly for the price, nothing gets close. You get real business features in a box costing less than many more well known brands.

SteveC