cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honest answer from PlusNet

N/A

I'd really like to ask PlusNet if they would rather do without customers who use P2P sometimes, as my download speeds are getting slower and slower, Peak time P2P is hardly usable
I don't download GB's of P2P but when I want to use P2P I'd like it to be usable

I can understand PlusNet doing things for megga leechers (the !% I think they call them) but surely this 1% have long gone

Seems PlusNet are penalising all users Sad Sad Sad

So please PlusNet go back to times when you were open and honest and had meaningful dialogue with your customers and give it to me straight, do I need to look elsewhere to get a good P2P service?

Maybe I could trade some of my 15GB newsgroup speed to get better P2P, I use newsgroups even less (nowhere near a GB a month) than P2P, all I want is a decent speed when using P2P, I've kept well within SUP so how about PlusNet doing something to help me?Huh
68 REPLIES
N/A

Well, i have just had to tell a user looking for a cheap ISP to turn away from plusnet, due to the simple reason that they use newsgroups for text, and newsgroups on the plus service is pretty much non existent.

So, nice one PN, you have stopped the leechers on the plus service, but you have also stopped the innocent users that use newsgroups for simple things, like conversations!
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

Redesdale, the Plus account does support access to usenet. Binary access will be slower, but we provide access to a text only server that will run at full speed on the Plus account. So it is suitable for text access.
N/A

Your taking this thread a little off topic, how about an honest answer to my concerns?Huh
JonathanW
Grafter

Well, my initial response was to the issue about usenet access on Plus accounts.

As for your original post, P2P should still remain useable, even at peak times. Though there could be other things having an impact on your speed. There is some shaping in place, but this wouldn't be the biggest impact on your speed.

There's plenty of other threads on the forum that deal with how to best maximise the speed you get from things such as Bit Torrent applications.
N/A

Yep my PC and software is setup to get the best from P2P but alas seems PlusNets throttling is causing problems
I tried a P2P download on PlusNet and it was slow, around dialup, tried the same download on my neigbours connection (not PlusNet) using the same software and settings and it max'd his connection out no problem...

So how about an honest answer re users and P2P, would you rather do without them?Huh
N/A

Re: Honest answer from PlusNet

but surely this 1% have long gone

paultracey I am beginning to think that PN wil always target the "1%" recursively until they are down to their last user :roll:
N/A

I think your right6 there :roll:

But the silence from PlusNet says a lot re P2P users and PlusNet Cry
N/A

Well, i have just had to tell a user looking for a cheap ISP to turn away from plusnet, due to the simple reason that they use newsgroups for text, and newsgroups on the plus service is pretty much non existent.

Text is fine on PN, no problems at all here, infact twice as many groups than F2S have ;-) 61399 to be exact.

HTH
N/A

This thread was'nt intended to be a thread on PlusNet and newsgroups

Maybe you could start another thread on how good bad or indifferent newsgroups text or binary on PlusNets connections be it BB+ or Premier

I just want PlusNet to be like they used to be open and honest re customers and P2P....
N/A

Which P2P applications / sites are you using?
I am interested, as Limewire and ABC run fine here!
channel
Grafter

P2P should still remain useable, even at peak times.

Is that the strongest claim that PN now makes about P2P on its service?

"Useable"?

"even at peak times"?

On that basis it would seem to me the honest answer would be that your products are not really suitable for users who want to P2P, especially those who to P2P at peak times.
N/A

P2P should still remain useable, even at peak times.

and

There is some shaping in place, but this wouldn't be the biggest impact on your speed.

If that is true, how come another CS rep STATED that if "users" wants decent speeds on emule then +net is not right for them ... (along those similar lines)

I presume that emule is more throttled than other p2p applications?
N/A

This can almost be likened to the Autobahn's in Germany:

Go as fast as you like,,,,,,, providing you dont drive a Porsche,Aston Martin, TVR, Lotus, Marcos, Noble, Cosworth, Ferrari, etc.........

So, there are no speed limits, as long as you dont demand great speeds...........

Andy
Ben_Brown
Grafter

There may be no speed limits on the autobahns but you can't go as fast as you like all the time as there can be conjestion on the roads, contention if you like.

On the original point of this thread, we appreciate that the use of p2p is growing, and it is being used more and more for legitimate uses and we don't want to exclude our customers from this.

The Broadband Plus package is an entry level package and is not aimed at people who use p2p or binary usenet a lot, and as such these applications have a low priority on our network.

Usenet accross our platform has been discussed at length, and the service has been significantly improved for the majority of people who use it.

p2p on Premier accounts is managed, but this is to ensure it doesn't swap our network as it easily could and not to penalise anyone. Speeds on p2p are determined by many, many factors and the management we have in place is one of, if not the least significant of these factors.

For example I have a staff account, which is managed to a greater extent than a standard Premier account. With a well seeded torrent with few leechers I can get over 200kB/s on a 2MB line, with the same setup at the same time of day with a torrent with many leechers and not much seeds I'm lucky to get 10kB/s. Some colleagues of mine use private torrents which force people to upload as much as they download and they get even better speeds than me. If the shaping was to the extent that some people are claiming on these forums, this would not be possible.

We are still open and honest and we do take on board customer feedback, just look at our involvement in these and other forums and newsgroups, and what we have done with usenet. I don't know of any other company that dedicates so much resources to this sort of thing.

We are growing and we are changing and for a few people this may not be for them, but for 99% of our customers the services will be better and as the faster speeds and new technologies like IPTV are made available we will be able to provide them at the levels our customers will expect at the price they want.