cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homeworker Pro !!!

N/A

Homeworker Pro !!!

Dear Plusnet,

I have been paying £45.99 a month since April/May 2004 for the Plus.net Homeworker Pro.

Although expensive I decided on this product because I knew I was a heavy downloader, at the time it was advertised as having a 20:1 contention and no restriction on usage and downloading.

All this time I have tried to adhere to your frequently changing terms (although the Homeworker Pro has never been mentioned). I have tried my best to keep my downloading to off-peak times and have always kept inside the download guides that you specified, even though I didn’t think they were aimed at the HW Pro.

I have never once complained. I have been quite happy to pay more so long as I could download.

Since the 26th of last month I have downloaded 32Gb which was nearly all done in off-peak hours and well within your guidelines; yet I now find I am struggling to download even text from the Usenet. Why?

I have gone from 246Kb/s to 3Kb/s if I am lucky.

I am not shouting at anyone but if this is not some sort of mistake, I would like to know why I am paying so much for so little. I do a bit of browsing but the rest of my time is spent on the Usenet.

It seems you no longer do my product so I have done a search on you web site for it and have only found one instance;
The ‘Office' and ‘Homeworker' products, removed from sale in 2004, have however been withdrawn fully. Office customers will now use lower-priced or equivalent products from the Business range. Homeworker customers will now use lower-priced or equivalent products from the Teleworker range. This will mean faster speeds for these customers at no additional cost and the same range of features. Customers have been contacted individually to notify them of these changes

I received an email from you on the 4th of August 2005 which contained this;
From today you will be able to benefit from:

- A new product name. In order to streamline and simplify our product range your product is now called Plus.Net HomeWorker Pro - Up to 4Mb - 4 Port Router Starter Pack. There are no other changes to your product, you still get all the features that you have always enjoyed.

and on the 23rd of October;
This is just a brief note to let you know that we will
be taking the next subscription payment for your Plus.Net HomeWorker Pro - Up to 4Mb - 4 Port Router Starter Pack account
on 2005-10-26.

So where does this put me, could someone please enlighten me!!

Why am I paying £45.99 for 15Gb download limit and a 3Kb/s service when I could do just the same for half the price?

What product am I on?

Kind regards,

Dave Edwards.
13 REPLIES
Saturn
Grafter

Homeworker Pro !!!

If you go to the 'Member Centre' of the portal, then from the left hand menu select 'Account Details' under 'My Account', then select the 'View Details' option it should tell you which product you are now on.

It doesn't sound like you're getting a very good deal there! Cry
N/A

Homeworker Pro !!!

My account details say 'Plus.Net HomeWorker Pro - Up to 4Mb - 4 Port Router Starter Pack £44.99' - the other £1 was something to do with my email but according to plusnet's customer support page section 6, the product has been withdrawn http://portal.plus.net/support/adsl/info/bus_broadband_changes.shtml and I should be on a Teleworker package;
The ‘Office' and ‘Homeworker' products, removed from sale in 2004, have however been withdrawn fully.
Homeworker customers will now use lower-priced or equivalent products from the Teleworker range.

So I still don't know what I am on! none of the current products match pricewise.
Teleworker Premier - Up to 4Mb - £34.03 plus vat

I agree, unless its a mistake I am not getting a good deal!
JonathanW
Grafter

Homeworker Pro !!!

Hi,

Willowclose, it looks like you're on one of the packages that was recently withdrawn from sale, when we revamped the business packages again. Though before that it was renamed to Teleworker Pro, with the same account features.

None of your account features will have changed, though as soon as the speeds are available in your area you will get the free upgrade to 4mb speeds. As you're on the Pro package, you're on a BT Business connection, rather than the Residential connection that is provided with the regular Teleworker/Homeworker packages.

With regards to your speeds with Usenet, this is most likely down to the recent changes that were introduced at the start of this month, and you'll be able to find more information in the lengthy threads that already exist on this subject.
N/A

Homeworker Pro !!!

Sorry but how can you really call this an answer;
With regards to your speeds with Usenet, this is most likely down to the recent changes that were introduced at the start of this month, and you'll be able to find more information in the lengthy threads that already exist on this subject.

I have read the threads but all you ever say is you didn't intend it to be so slow.
What speed can we expect on the Usenet when you have sorted it out after the weekend?

Really what I want to know is. Is this as good as its going to get ?

regards, Dave
N/A

Homeworker Pro !!!

Dear PlusNet,

I'm also on "Homeworker Pro - up to 4mb" and once again I'm left wondering what level of service you think we're paying £45.99 a month for?

"Homeworker Pro" is supposed to be a business-class connection and was sold as such. These are supposed to be exempt from the current SUP and are not supposed to be adversely affected by any traffic shaping or blocked ports etc. The SUP is only supposed to apply to residential packages, and then at different levels as outlined on this customer support page. Clearly the change imposed on NNTP traffic is contrary to all of this.

Given that there is already a SUP in place, why has there even been the need to take this heavy handed approach to limiting NNTP - let alone across all account types? What difference does it really make if a user wants to grab X gigabytes of NNTP data vs. X gigabytes of HTTP, FTP or Online-Gaming data? If the data's not originating from your servers, then surely it's all just network traffic isn't it? The amount of traffic used should surely just be deemed to fall either within or outside of the sustainable level appropriate to that account, shouldn't it?

As far as I've seen this latest debacle all began because users were complaining about the download speeds from YOUR usenet servers (see here)- so to 'fix' that you've gone and applied a rule across a whole protocol!!! Surely the problem was simply that the capacities of your Usenet servers were being exceeded by lots of BB+ users expecting a 'free lunch'?

If you want to cap the usage on your own Usenet servers then that's fair enough, and would surely free up lots of precious bandwidth, but to just apply a throttle across a whole protocol, and to external connections - which in the case of Usenet are typically to subscription-only servers - well that's just plain wrong! With things as they stand PN, you are penalising customers who may not even be using YOUR Usenet servers and in many cases will be preventing them from receiving a third party service which they have paid for, and you are also likely to be penalising customers who may not normally even exceed the download limits set out in your SUP... if it even applies to them!

As a home-worker, 5 days a week, this heavy handed 'solution' scares the hell out of me quite frankly.
If I were to hit the limit on NNTP is this going to affect any other protocols - there's a suggestion in the other BIG thread that HTTP may be affected too once the limit has been exceeded? Might I suddenly find that, without any warning, I can't work at an acceptable rate when connected to my office's servers? If my connection were to be crippled or impaired at the drop of the hat like this, presumably for the remainder of the month, then it's hardly business class is it? This is not leaving me with a great deal of confidence in the service level I can be sure to receive for the rest of this month, and we're only 8 days in!

Until now I've been happy to have stayed-put at PlusNet - after nervously waiting-out the SUP fiasco earlier this year - and I can only hope that there will be some level of a rethink over this too. If not, then I guess pretty soon I'm going to have to rethink who my provider is; I really don't like the precedent being set if my connection can be affected as severely as this, and without any warning. That isn't what the product is supposed to be about and it's not what I'm paying a premium for. Who's to say another protocol might not fall within your sights tomorrow if it suits you? Maybe throttle FTP connections too? or Telnet? or HTTP? .... where does it end?

Yours despondantly, Cry

Andy Jones
JonathanW
Grafter

Homeworker Pro !!!

Hi,

With regards to what happens when the 15gb level is reached on usenet, this will see all methods of accessing usenet slow down, which is why some people have reported slower speeds accessing sites like easynews in a web browser. This isn't going to be extended to regular http, ftp, or telnet, unless these methods are being used to access usenet in some fashion.

This is being applied accross all account types, as it is seperate to the SUP on Premier accounts, as everyone should have useable speeds for the majority of their usenet downloads, and has been said elsewhere the majority of our customers that use usenet use less than 15gb.
N/A

Homeworker Pro !!!

So... no real reason to keep to the Teleworker packages then. It seems to me you are paying the extra money for nothing. Downgrade on the cards people! :roll:
N/A

Homeworker Pro up to 2Mb

I too am paying for a premium service but am restricted by the same terms as everyone else. Not happy to say the least in the way Plusnet handle themselves when it comes to customer service.

As for the product, seems I'm paying a premium for old rope....
N/A

Homeworker Pro !!!

A question to Mr jwhiting,

Can we (the business/homeworker users) have a breakdown in what we are now paying for a premium service forHuh

As of recent weeks/months we have seen a degrade in QoS from PN in network speed, limits and reliability. Now I am wondering what benefits we business/homeworkers are paying for.

We don’t get premium support (something you would expect with a Business package), we are now getting limits imposed on certain types of network traffic (without being notified)

A clear outline of what we are paying a premium rate for is what I am after, as I cant see any benefit from having a business connection atm apart from that we use it for running a business which due to your “shaping” is crippling our connections.

If things continue the way they are going I will have to consider requesting my MAC and moving to an ISP that consider business users as a priority and not fleece them for a substandard service.
JonathanW
Grafter

Homeworker Pro !!!

Hi,

There are several things that make the price between business accounts and residential accounts differently. This depends a little on which business package you are on.

Though, for example, the Business package and the old TeleWorker Pro and Small Business Pro packages are provided with a better BT contended line, which should mean that they're less affected by exchange issues. Similarly, the contention within the PlusNet network is better, meaning that they get a better share of the traffic.

The business packages also offer a different range of additional features, like the ammount of webspace available and the daily bandwidth allowance for this space.

As for things such as the recent introduction of usenet usage levels, this was in response to customers reporting that usenet was running slow and at times was unuseable. So we made the changes that we did at the start of the month, the usage level chosen because there's only a small number of customers who use over the 15gb of usenet in a month.

That is the only traffic usage level that applies to the business accounts, and even then it only slows down the traffic after the first 15gb rather than makes it totally unuseable. So people can continue to use usenet, its just going to be slower after the initial usage level is reached.
N/A

Homeworker Pro !!!

Thanks for the quick response.

First of all

Business package and the old TeleWorker Pro and Small Business Pro packages are provided with a better BT contended line, which should mean that they're less affected by exchange issues.

I am aware of this that is why I went for a business package even before I started my business

Similarly, the contention within the PlusNet network is better, meaning that they get a better share of the traffic.

Not true, after running some tests the other night with P2P i was getting upload speeds of 5-8Kbs and download was even less and i dont use P2P much, actually my last 3 months usage has not been over 10GB. Also getting kicked of game servers for "problems with your connection" has started happening the past few months, so wheres better share of the traffic there??

The business packages also offer a different range of additional features, like the ammount of webspace available and the daily bandiwdth allowance for this space.

I can live without it as i do most of my hosting externally to PN network.

As for things such as the recent introduction of usenet usage levels, this was in response to customers reporting that usenet was running slow and at times was unuseable. So we made the changes that we did at the start of the month, the usage level chosen because there's only a small number of customers who use over the 15gb of usenet in a month.

Dont use usenet but the changes you have made there seem to have an affect on my connection due to slow P2P and lag/spikes while gaming.

I do however notice that you have not mentioned anything about CS for business users as the way things are atm its appalling, most times I have phoned its been 30mins waiting. I would expect an answer within 5-10mins at anytime.

So is there any GOOD reason we business/homeworkers pay more for a service that seems to be degrading along with the residential packages?Huh
N/A

Homeworker Pro !!!

Just to add that I have been with PN for just over 2years and in that time my connection/service has been excellent, but since the last couple of months or so it has been slowly but surly getting worse and CS has took a nose dive to levels I have never experienced before, and if it continues I will be requesting my MAC. I don’t mind paying more but I expect a level of service far better that what I am experiencing atm.
N/A

Homeworker Pro !!!

Oh how I am so glad I am not on that teleworker pro account any more.
There is simply 1 thing to do if your a usenet junkie, and only 1 thing s**tnet want is for you to leave!
So get your boots on a like me and loads of other people who need and demand VFM get off to another ISP.

The coms team are now talking a load of bolloxs and should change their profession and become labour MP's.

This is great
"which is why some people have reported slower speeds accessing sites like easynews in a web browser."

Everyone who knows and uses usenet will get this problem, its just that not everyone has hit that 15GB limit. As soon as other start hitting it like me they will be on these forums and then requesting their MAC.

I know what the response will be - " well we cant please all" and that useless load of crap. Guys it's obvious what you need to do, show and explain to all how to use the usenet - most of my mates haven't got a clue about how to get anything off usenet so teach them and let plus net and their net app wonder what to do next.
I'm off next week and I cannot wait.