cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Self Install ADSL and external News Servers

N/A

I have been for many months a subscribetr to a news service that is not available elsewhere (Linux From Scratch's news server). This suddenly stopped wiorking a few days ago. After the usual chasing up of possible causes, I raised a query with Plus Net.

1st response I get is:

I must upgrade to the SI service for access to external news servers.

I wrote back pointing out that I *WAS* a SI serv ice user.

They wrote back requesting a traceroute (much good that would do anyone).

I provided it.

This morning I received this:

> We no longer allow access to external news feeds on the Home
> Surf Account. If you have been able to access the service in
> the past, the reason for the access was a error in our
> network configuration and this has now been fixed.
>
> Should you require connectivity, we advise that you upgrade
> your account asap.
>
> Regards,

I am *FURIOUS*. I do not appreciate being unilaterally cut off from a "low volume" service I have been using without any from of notification.

I do NOT appreciate the support staff being clueless about this, I understand that this may have been a decision that was made elsewhere, but the lack of communication within PlusNet is staggering.

I also do NOT appreciate being asked to fork out more cash for a service I have received up to now.

I foresee PlusNet losing a customer here.
29 REPLIES
N/A

The point is, that you have been receiving the service in error.

If you are never intended to access a service, then there is little you can do about it when it suddenly stops.

I have to say that it does seem harsh to block such low user sites, however, where you make exception for one, you have to make exceptions for others.

To support that would be near impossible.
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi,

We are very clear in our marketing for the Home Surf product that you cannot access External News services or P2P applications using that product. If, in the past you were able to access this service, but can't now then I can only suggest you upgrade to the full home account, which is clearly more appropriate to your requirements.

The network team constantly monitor network usage and if a previously unknown news server was identified this would be added to the list of blocked News servers for the Home Surf product. They wouldn't necessarily inform the support team about this - As far as we are concerned Home Surf customers cannot access ALL External news servers...

With Regards,

Ian
N/A

II have to say that I cannot, even now, find such a restriction. I cannot even find the Self Install service among your products and services anymore. Could you kindly point out to me where this restriction is specified in your terms and conditions?

My experiences with PlusNet have, in general, been good, however, I feel that this matter has not been handled in a *customer friendly* manner.

I would never have signed up for a service with such a restriction, if I knew about it.
N/A

The information in question is available HERE

A link to this is provided on the Home Surf description page, available HERE
N/A

But hold on

<QUOTE>

In addition, access to binary USENET groups both via PlusNet 's internal USENET servers and any external feeds, is not available. Through active port monitoring, Internet connections for these online applications will not be possible via your ADSL Home Surf connection.

Software programs not supported include, but are not limited to, KaZaA, Gnutella, Edonkey, Napster, WinMX, Aimster and Audiogalaxy. To ensure the quality of service offered through Home Surf, all further file-sharing applications that become available will similarly not be supported.

For full access to file sharing applications or binary USENET newsgroups, choose our ADSL Home Self-Install account.

</QUOTE>

1) LFS newsserver does NOT contain BINARY groups. It is purely a discussion group.

2) Have i not made myself clear. I *am* a self install account user. D*mmit! Check your records.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Capitalised sentance edited. Please do not post in CAPS.]
csogilvie
Grafter

I'm with sequeira - I can't see anything that says external news servers are not allowed - just access to binary news groups through external feeds.
N/A

Looking in the Homesurf T&C's, it is pretty much defined. They are available HERE

I have to say, the the FAQ pages should make this clearer though.
csogilvie
Grafter

Particularlty when you use usenet.plus.net and there are binary groups on it which you can access using it...
N/A

OK, having eventualy managed to get OE to not crash, I have setup and sucesfully access and browsed several groups on the news.linuxfromscratch.org server

Self-install is defined as being a product where activation takes place transparently, and no engineer needs to visit your home (provided no HH conversion needs to take place).

Both the ADSL Home package and the HomeSurf package are self-install. The differance is the price and what you can and can't access.
N/A

OK then. I am on a home surf account, at least that's what my account details say.

But why are you advertising it at 18.99?

and why are you advertising the standard home package at 21.99?

And why am I paying 21.99?

And which service should I upgrade to then?
N/A

Particularlty when you use usenet.plus.net and there are binary groups on it which you can access using it...

Thanks for your support, I do appreciate it. Things have gone awfully quiet, both here and on the initial query I raised.

I'm not in the mood to let this one go.

Watch this space.
Community Veteran

OK then. I am on a home surf account, at least that's what my account details say.

But why are you advertising it at 18.99?

and why are you advertising the standard home package at 21.99?

And why am I paying 21.99?

And which service should I upgrade to then?

Ok... I'm confused here. If you're paying £21.99p/m, you're on the ADSL Home (not Surf) package. If that's the case, then we're dealing with a whole different kettle of fish here! Smiley

Thomas
N/A

Right, now I think we are getting somewhere.

Why has my access been cut off then?

And if I have beeen paying for a Home Account, yet receiving a Home Surf service, am I not due a refund?

Am I not also due some sort of apology here for what is undoubtedly a c*ck up on PlusNets part.
N/A

[...]

2) Have i not made myself clear. I *am* a self install account user. D*mmit! Check your records.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Capitalised sentance edited.
Please do not post in CAPS.]

I did that on *purpose*.

The 1st answer to my support query was that I should be on a Home Self Install package to use external news servers.

Do you appreciate why I was shouting? Frustration sets in when I appear to be getting the run around both here and in my original query where I get conflicting information.

And now that I investigate further, it turns out that I have been paying too much for too long.