cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Network performance

alankay
Grafter

Home Network performance

A question for all you experts out there. I run a home network of 5 pcs, all XP. We are connected to the web thru BT Voyager 2110. One pc has a wired connection while the other 4 connect thru BT Voyager 1055 wireless adapters [802.11g]. The adapter on 3 of these 4 pcs is plugged in to a usb 2.0 socket, the 4th pc only has usb 1.1 ..... Forgive my ignorance but will the quality of my connection improve if I fit a pci usb 2.0 card to this computer? :? :?
7 REPLIES
decomplexity
Rising Star

Home Network performance

The PC-to-router <i>speed</i> of the USB 1.1 PC may well improve since USB 1.1 is limited to 12Mb/s (USB 2.0 is rated at 480 Mb/s). Your wireless link itself is rated at 54Mb/s (wireless being wireless, you may get half that - or less).

But if you are just thinking of Internet access (as opposed to PC to PC networking), you won't see any difference as your broadband link is the bottleneck and is probably running at a rated 2Mb/s or less (which, with capacity sharing in the exchange and on the pipe to PN, will give a data transfer speed considerably less than this).

So even if you have a less-than-ideal wireless connection (i.e. with a significant % of packet retries), your USB1.1 PC will still have a wireless link which is faster than your broadband connection
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
alankay
Grafter

Home Network performance

I knew someone would be able to help me..thanks. Ann Cheesy Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Home Network performance

Yes as the first reply said, the internet will work fine due to the lower than USB1.1 speed. Network speed though, will not reach the normal 54Mbps. It will probably renegotiate to something in the region of 8Mbps.

If you do fit a USB2 device (top speed about 480Mbps I think) then yes you will certainly get the best performance your equipment can offer.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
alankay
Grafter

Home Network performance

Thanks for that Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Home Network performance

No problem. Does have to be said though, I prefer wired networks. Not only are they faster (100Mbps normally) but they're also secure from interference or packet sniffing.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
suec45
Grafter

Home Network performance

Just to be clear, your internet connection will not be any faster for your network.

Its just the conneciton between computers that will be faster if you are transferring files.
alankay
Grafter

Home Network performance

Understood, thanks. Smiley