cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Highway - Is it Worth Considering?

mickm
Grafter

Home Highway - Is it Worth Considering?

I'm on an exchange which is not going to be upgraded to ADSL (only 20 registrations so far!!).

I get connection speeds anywhere between 26K and 40K (about what I expect as I'm 2 miles from the exchange).

Can anyone who uses ISDN tell me whether it is worth the extra line rental? I know the technical answers but what is it like in practice on the Plusnet servers?
--
Mick
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Home Highway - Is it Worth Considering?

> Can anyone who uses ISDN tell me whether it is worth the extra line rental? I know the technical answers but what is it like in practice on the Plusnet servers?

Well for what is worth I have used Home Highway for a number of years now,and although it is expensive I don't think I would swap it for anything less than broadband,so it looks like I am going to have it for a while.I have used on a number of ISP's and have found it to be OK.Downloads have always been around the 7k (is that the correct term) and connection has always been quick for example log-on,download mail,upload mail,download newsgroups,upload replies or messages,log-off average 25 secs.On the domestic front the wife is happy because she can use the phone whilst I am on line,so when working out the price check the price of getting a second phone line installed for non internet use,and the price does'nt seem so bad.So if I moved house into a non broadband area would I get it again....... yes without a doubt.It is not that much faster than a modem I admit,but it is consistant.Hope that helps

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

> > Can anyone who uses ISDN tell me whether it is worth the extra line rental? I know the technical answers but what is it like in practice on the Plusnet servers?

Sorry mickm in keeping with your 40K measurements that 7k in my reply should of course read 64K My apologises

Ian & Linda Jordan
N/A

I also am looking to get Home Highway as I am also using an exchange that BT says is 'not viable' for an ADSL upgrade. I normally get connection speeds of 35-40k but I love online gaming. ISDN will be a boost to my pings because of the extra outgoing bandwidth (33.6k up to 64k).

If you sign up before the 15th October you get a special deal. Check www.bt.com/isdn for all the details Smiley

N/A

> I also am looking to get Home Highway as I am also using an exchange that BT says is 'not viable' for an ADSL upgrade. I normally get connection speeds of 35-40k but I love online gaming. ISDN will be a boost to my pings because of the extra outgoing bandwidth (33.6k up to 64k).
>
> If you sign up before the 15th October you get a special deal. Check www.bt.com/isdn for all the details Smiley
>
>

Can't say I have a good experience of ISDN. Trouble is I don't know why, but the combination of ISDN, my business PC and plusnet servers is crap. I get a better service over my modem on the same pc. My home pc link which is also modem is also betterthan ISDN.

Symptoms include in particular, slow downloads, aborted e-mail collections and dropped connections.

For me ISDN is a waste of money (and even more annoyingly, time!!).