cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Higher congestion due to MaxDSL?

N/A

I have a 2M Premier account, which I use 5G/month typical. I do not do much downloading, but make heavy use of web & e-mail, and find 2M nicer than 500K.

A few days ago I moved to MaxDSL. No problems, 448/8096, MSR 7000. No errors, rock steady.

However I have been monitoring my actual DS rate from plusnet & ADSLguide speed test servers. Tonight, peak time, (2100-2230) it has been between 300Kbit & 600Kbit. It has never speed tested higher than 3M (though this may be server limitation).

I realise that either BT or Plusnet could be providing congestion. My question is, should I expect this? My BT exchange is Mill Hill which is VC green according to the checker.

If everyone spends all their time downloading DVDs the local link BW required will be so high that I am not likely to see 2M, let alone 7M, at any time of the day.

Frankly, I would be quite happy with 448/2M, providing it does not often degrade to 448/300. Should I be expecting this degradation often?

Best wishes, Tom
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

BT manage their network and throughput speeds and they have already stated that you may not get more that 2Mbs speeds on an 8Mbs line during busy periods.

As speeds increase, contention (or congestion as you call it) will also increase. While speeds may have quadrupled for many, BT have certainly not quadrupled their network capacity to cope (and nore have PN) so while 8ms speeds may sound exciting, you will not always get those speeds all the time as the BT network just can't cope.
N/A

I understand that. My problem is that I am getting <500K speeds at busy times, and 7M speeds never. Actually, I do not mind 2M instead of 7M DS speed. For me the 448K US is much more important, and I get this. But what do BT & Plusnet say about regular speed reduction to <500K? Is this normal?

BTW, I am now, (2255) back to 2.9M measured.

With any luck, assuming PN contention is not leading to this drop, LLU will help when it comes.

Best wishes, Tom
Community Veteran

You have to wait for the full 10 days to be completed before you will know what BT have decided your line can sync at and what data throughput speeds they will allow.

Until that time, both sync and data speeds will fluctuate, sometimes quite a lot, before things finally settle down and there is no point in contacting PN during this 10 day period as there is nothing they can do until the 10 days are up anyway..
N/A

No, this is not a MaxDSL issue. My synch rate & MSR are both stable, have been for days, MSR 7M. Unless you are saying that a stable MSR of 7M according to your checker is not really stable 7M?

Measured speed is determined by contention - either BT or PN.

Best wishes, Tom
Dizzley
Grafter

No, this is not a MaxDSL issue. My synch rate & MSR are both stable

I gather that the MSR (Max Stable Rate) is a statistical value supplied to PN by BT and applied to PN's end at 0800 and 2000hrs. Your sync has settled so you have a stable connection. However, the BT network will have both contention and management effects.

I am hoping that the "management" effects will stablise over the ten day "training" period we are going through. I do wonder if the whole BT network is in a state of flux. (totally fluxed? Wink) and will be for months.

If I end up with speeds in the 512k to 4000k range where previously I was seeing a rock solid 2000k then I will be an unhappy bunny.
nathan1111
Grafter

Re: Higher congestion due to MaxDSL?

I realise that either BT or Plusnet could be providing congestion. My question is, should I expect this? My BT exchange is Mill Hill which is VC green according to the checker.

U could ask PlusNet to put you on Bt IP Stream Max Premium, which has lower contention ratio,and higher upload (832kbps) on 4/8mb. As it has a low contention it would also be good as their would be less people sharing your connection at your exchange at busy times. Right now your probably on 50:1 contention, and Bt IpStream Max is 20:1, google contention if you dont kno what it means.

On another Note.
Btw PlusNet im stil Waiting to be put on MaxDsl,my router shows
8128 Kbps Downstream
832 Kbps Upstream

And speed tests, show im still on 2mb Premier. My download speeds have remained the same I have seen absolutely no change, every day I have rebooted,restarted,disconnected, everything you can do to a router. and no change.